Mike
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Do you think this year will follow on from the pattern of previous years and that there will be another expansion for the 2nd ed ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
HeathCon 2019 Jan 18th - 21st
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 12 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to see official House Arryn pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
That would be great. I think it might be some option to play with 6+ players. Due to the interest in various fan made expansions in that line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather there be an option to play with 5 players.

Also, GRRM needs to hurry up with the books already so we can get a real game with Targaryen and DRAGONS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a huge sad problem with Game of Thrones.

I think that this game would be infinitely replayable if only it included Small World Realms style tile maps that you can build and set up yourself. Sure it would not be Westeros anymore, but the game itself would be same and you can create various balanced maps for it.

Such an expansion would guarantee that Game of Thrones 2nd Edition will stay on my shelf forever. Without this, the fixed setup and map gets stale after a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But it wouldn't be GoT then. T

his game has a rather nice "evolved Diplomacy" engine beneath it, so if we go via modular maps route you might just as well redesign everything from the ground up. It might make a stellar game, but sadly for many people if you lose the theme you lose the appeal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

his game has a rather nice "evolved Diplomacy" engine beneath it, so if we go via modular maps route you might just as well redesign everything from the ground up. It might make a stellar game, but sadly for many people if you lose the theme you lose the appeal...

But you are not losing the theme, only one of the players in my group has read the book and knows what Westeros looks like. Other half has watched the show, but there are no real sense of maps there.

It would still be Game of Thrones, it would just not be Westeros without a modular map.

I know that this won't ever really happen, but I hope it does because the map and placement restrictions are the biggest flaws of this game (which is saying much, because they are not even big flaws).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

But you are not losing the theme, only one of the players in my group has read the book and knows what Westeros looks like. Other half has watched the show, but there are no real sense of maps there.

It would still be Game of Thrones, it would just not be Westeros without a modular map.

I know that this won't ever really happen, but I hope it does because the map and placement restrictions are the biggest flaws of this game (which is saying much, because they are not even big flaws).

But then you could suggest the same for War of the Ring (Second Edition)... "It's still "The Lord of the Rings" but not in Middle Earth... ;-)

Seriously - at the tables I played more or less everyone had read the books or watched the show. Personally I want to see Westeros and because of the give geography you have to play every family very differently in order to win this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

But then you could suggest the same for War of the Ring (Second Edition)... "It's still "The Lord of the Rings" but not in Middle Earth... ;-)

Seriously - at the tables I played more or less everyone had read the books or watched the show. Personally I want to see Westeros and because of the give geography you have to play every family very differently in order to win this game.

But having modular map would not ruin your experience of the game. I'm just giving a perspective from my playgroup that is tired of the same-old starting setups, even with the two alternative setup expansions.

And War of the Ring is highly dependent on the map setup and victory goals, Game of Thrones is not. Game of Thrones is all about the castles and that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is called Game of Thrones.
You can create a retheme with modular map.
But as long as it's GoT's expansion, it must keep the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:
This game is called Game of Thrones.
You can create a retheme with modular map.
But as long as it's GoT's expansion, it must keep the theme.

Yes. While the theme is definitely cool, it also restricts the creative freedom of what you can do with it.

Changing the map to a "random generic island" would maybe benefit the replayability, but would put off many of the fans. Even though the show fans probably do not have as much sense of geography as hardcore GoT maniacs do, they still have a feeling whether the geography fits or not - there is the wall on the North, Starks are somewhere on the North, Tyrells come from the South, GreyJoys are stuck on some islands somewhere, King's Landing is roughly in the middle of things... change stuff around and you decidedly lose the thematic appeal.

There is slight potential in moving stuff North, though. GRRM has already vaguely stated that the northern part of Westeros will be much more important in the following books, so opening that part of the map might be the way to go. Then again, the game is still about families battling for Westeros, not to even mention that noone really knows what direction will GRRM choose (and whether we will ever see those damn books at all), so some more detailed discussion about this idea is rather moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, i don't think the problem over time is the geography, but rather the choice of houses. I wish it was possible to play this game with 3, 4 or 5 players without feeling like it's imbalanced (especially the 4 player game), and I wish it was possible to play with different houses.

I would do an expansion where you add the Arryns, Targaryans, Freys.. and whoever else, and include rules/scenarios for the game to be playable with any of those houses, at any time, and with any amount of players (between 3 and 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Microsillon wrote:

I would do an expansion where you add the Arryns, Targaryans, Freys.. and whoever else, and include rules/scenarios for the game to be playable with any of those houses, at any time, and with any amount of players (between 3 and 6).

Yes, I would definitely buy a scenario which could be played at 4:30am, none of the currently available ones allow that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Microsillon wrote:

Yes, I would definitely buy a scenario which could be played at 4:30am, none of the currently available ones allow that.

How about a scenario which could be played during the Age of Enlightenment, or the Renaissance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Microsillon wrote:

How about a scenario which could be played during the Age of Enlightenment, or the Renaissance?

Yeah, I'm a fan of old-school Steven Wright too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Microsillon wrote:
I wish it was possible to play this game with 3, 4 or 5 players without feeling like it's imbalanced (especially the 4 player game), and I wish it was possible to play with different houses.

Do have the Feast for Crows expansion? Makes for very fun 4-player games.

I agree that I would like a better 5-player solution, and different houses would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised we don't have the generals on the board and the castle fortifications that we had in 1st edition. Those seemed like nice expansion bits. I can continue to do without the one time use orders that everyone needed to lookup in the back of the book every few seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Microsillon wrote:

I was actually thinking of something specific when i posted my message, but i totally forget what it was. I'm getting old. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
First we need official confirmation on whether there is a Days of Ice and Fire 2014 at all

If there is one and if there will be new content for the board game, then I'd like something for 5 or 3 players, as 4 and 6 player games are in good shape now. A 3 player variant would be harder to do properly, but have a greater impact if done successfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Stoica
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 5 player expansion would be great. We are often 1 player less and it's a pity because 5 player is really not as fun as 6 or feast for crows expansion.

Maybe remove Greyjoy and add Targarian. That would be cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.