Hide
4 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Forbidden Alchemy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Lost In Time & Space Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Botartt
msg tools
Hi all, well I've read some pretty poor reviews for LoTaS, and was wanting to fix it up, from the suggestions I've read, I figured it try the following changes. Obviously the balance from these changes is unknown, so only playtesting will truly reveal it

1) Allow Hounds of Tindalos to stay when time shifts

2) Perhaps placing a fire or two when the future appears, and a cultist or two in the past (haven't resolved yet). I also am thinking of changing some items (common ones) depending on what time period they're found in (i.e. in the future, remains of a shotgun are found instead of a fresh one.) Nothing vital to the clue-chain

3) Having the operator of the Time Machine lose a health every time it's used, to discourage overuse, plus to add consideration for the investigators as to who should be using it.

A couple of quick questions:
Is there any purpose to the Sealed room (guest bedroom) in the middle of the board? I know this was a bad thing for game balance with some victories, but I'm failing to see why the sealed door is there at all...am I missing something?

For Event IV it says to place Crawling Ones in the Past and Cultists in the Present...is that a type-o? I thought the cult existed in the past and the crawling things were part of the future. Shuffling it around seems to lose consistency and mood. I realize 1A victory requires a cultist to retrieve the Doomsday device, but I think I'd rather extend that to non-shoggoth monsters or something and have the cultists stay in the past

I'm also a bit put-off by the final clue (1A) automatically unifying the doomsday device and then suddenly revealing that it must be destroyed in the hidden lab. It kind of dictates the players thinking; they should ideally figure that out themselves (I was simply gonna state their objective is to properly destroy the device.) I was thus considering having a few 'recipes' in the Control Room (Melting agent, Petrifying Solution, Levitation, & Healing) that they must then deduce to go back and try the recipe to melt it. The other recipes are sort of decoys (though helpful) to distract them...one which heals 5 or so and Levitation in case they screw up the seeds.

Anyway, any other advice would be most welcome before I attempt this highly revised scenario. I do like the idea of switching the Generator Room with the Operating theatre...I also am thinking of other changes to the structure of the building between time periods. Seems like they came up with a decent idea and then didn't do a bit of developing that idea...
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Making the Hounds non-"popup" is a good idea. It may or may not be worth bumping the threat cost of the keeper action that spawns them by 1, though; 3 threat for the strongest Beast monster is quite cheap.

I think the Sealed Door in the middle is to make sure that there will always be a Lock card on the board so that there will always be somewhere to spawn Hounds of Tindalos.

Not sure I like the health loss with each time travel - it's already a long scenario prone to attrition, and a flat health loss is a very uninteresting effect. Maybe hit sanity instead, or include some sort of attribute test? I remember Nicola also once suggested having the time machine place a darkness token in its room when used (and be unusable in dark rooms).

Another option is to let the Hounds of Tindalos move toward the investigator with the time machine for free whenever the time machine is used - perhaps let them move one space toward that investigator, treating walls as open gray borders for the purposes of this movement? Seems to fit their flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Botartt
msg tools
It does seem like a long scenario, I was kinda thinking 4 Investigators might be better than 3. Sanity hit is possible too, but I kinda of liked the molecular disruption angle described in Event V. I like consistency in stories and I'm hoping 4 can reasonably have a chance to persevere. How many times are the Investigators required to time travel I wonder? No more than 4-5 times I suppose, which should be okay spread out between 4 heroes. Also, I believe a sanity is the cost of some time travel (at least in some events) so that might get a little redundant.

Aha, the spawning of Hounds...that must be it. Seems like they could have found a different way to have that happen than having an awkward center area of the board.

Hounds seem kind of a tough one. According to what we've heard they behave like, we've adopted a rule where the first investigator they attack becomes it's target; it must only attack that one till he/she dies. Also, instead of moving, it may teleport to an adjacent space to that declared target...always in reach. It was pretty fun the only time it came up (House Of Fears), but there haven't been any hounds in our recent games (Call Of Wilds, House Lynch, Yellow Sign have been our recent games).

Thanks for your input...much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my minimum fixes, a useful fix is to boost up the effects of the seeds.

If the Seeds Marker token is on the board in an Outside Space and the Time Period is the Past, an investigator may place a Ladder Token in the same space as the Seeds Marker. Treat all adjacent spaces (ignoring walls and barriers and allowing diagonals) as having ladder tokens.

Remove the ladder token if the Time Period is changed to the Past Time Period

This is not just to add extra flavour and a few more choices to the players. A key thing to take into account in regards to the scenario is (due to the size of the map and the extra actions required for travelling between the time zones) the scenario is biased towards the Keeper.

My 'seeds' fix slightly reduces the number of steps needed to get to complete the clue chain. It makes it a slightly less 'long' scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.