Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I run an after-work games night at my office, and usually have about 8 people there. I recently picked up a copy of A Touch of Evil and its expansions, since I heard it works well with 8 players in its team variant. I've a couple of questions, though, to help me organise the night.

What's the best setup for an 8 player game? 4 teams of 2? Or is 8 players too many? I can run it with less by dividing everyone into different games, we do this most weeks anyway since not many games support larger groups.

How long does the game take with 8 players? We usually aim for 2 hour games, and I'd need to forewarn everyone if its likely to take longer.

Do the expansions add much to the play time? My preference it to play with everything (MOAR STUFF!) and from what I've read so far, the extra boards don't really affect play time, since the evil track will progress at about the same rate.

Thanks in advance for your help! Can't wait to get this game to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Yasi
United States
Tewksbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan.

I haven't played teams mode, but I recently played my first game of ATOE and thought my experience might be beneficial to you.

We had 6 players, none of whom had ever played the game. We played in co-op mode, with all 3 boards. I printed out cheat sheets (from BGG) with basic rules, etc., and did my best to learn the rules before we played. So, I'd like to think I was well prepared.

Long story short, our game took 4 hours. Now, it was definitely enjoyable, and we screwed up a few things, but I can confidently say that even if we hadn't made mistakes and played with 100% efficiency (i.e. knowing all the location rules cold, not looking in the rulebooks, etc.), we still would have had a 2+ hour game.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't try an 8 player game for your first one. I'd go 4 players, with a max of 2 boards. Much less setup time, and if you play co-op you can all muddle through the first game together. Once you get through your first game, go for it and blow it out to all 3 boards, play as teams, etc.

One other thing - I would play in "Advanced Mode" the first time; it's only minimally more complex than Basic Mode, and much more exciting IMO as it provides for more frequent and varied encounters with the villain and its minions.

As always, your mileage may vary, especially if you have 8 very patient players who are way into the theme. Good luck!

- Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for the information. Playing a 4 player game first definitely sounds like the best thing to do. It also has the benefit that, if people like it and want to play again, we'll have 4 knowledgeable players, hopefully making a larger group game go a bit faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, eight players is too much and two games of four will be better. Players don't do much in their downtime, except to roll minion dice for the other players and play the odd event. Try to give them each a job, one i/c of the Villain and Minion placement, one can bank the Investigation, Wound etc.. markers, once handing out the corner deck cards and the fourth the event and mystery decks. This keeps everyone reasonably alert.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game plus one expansion (SW or The Coast) rather than start with all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run a 6 player coop version of the game, where we all played working together (not on teams). The game only took about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

The first time I played, I played 2 player coop and it took closer to 3 hours. Another time I played, we had 3 players and played coop and it took a little under 3 hours.

So I think the more familiar you are with the game, the faster the game goes. So far, the game I've played with the most people lasted the shortest amount of time. After you get a couple games in, you could EASILY run an 8 player game of A Touch of Evil within a couple hours.

I wish you luck with your first game. Definitely go with the beginner rules for the villain, otherwise it'll kick your butt handily. Our first game with 2 people on the easiest rules resulted in us winning with just ONE spot left on the Darkness track, so it was a VERY close call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.