Chinatown» Forums » Sessions

Subject: When trades just don't flow, the game hurts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
flag msg tools
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
The night was closing up, and Tejas, Dana and I were looking for a game to play. Tejas had never played Chinatown, and asked if I would give it a spin. I love chinatown, but it hurts with too analytical of players (I don't play with any variants, I really should try it out). But I agreed, and a 3 player game it was.

Things went pretty normally from the beginning, with people reluctant to trade and just manuevering with what they had been dealt, keeping trade bait open for the later rounds. Dana got a bit of luck with her tile draw, and Tejas was a trading machine (mainly between he and I, dana largely would not trade unless it was hugely in her favor). Around turn 4 my luck completely ran out. I only drew things that were interesting to Dana, and Dana wasn't trading. At all. Tejas wanted to trade with her and I, but we really didn't have anything that was interesting to each other, and Dana's blockade hit him too. I had large chunks of adjacent real estate go uncollected without having anything matching to help.

In the end, the last round was pretty much play what you get (as it usually is). The one bad thing about the game is the last round is completely calculable and trading usually isn't in anyone's best interest. In the end Dana somehow pulled out 200 bucks, Tejas 168, and me pulling up the rear with 148. Bad tile draws in a no trade environment killed my game. oh well, better luck next time.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.