Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Targeting Computer on Acadamy Pilot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As I was running through lists for when the Aces get released, i though, how good would Targeting Computer be on an Academy Pilot? Its 2 pts, pushing the acadamy to 14 pts.

Came up with this list.

98 points
14 points
Academy Pilot #1
Targeting Computer
14 points
Academy Pilot #2
Targeting Computer
14 points
Academy Pilot #3
Targeting Computer
14 points
Academy Pilot #4
Targeting Computer
14 points
Academy Pilot #5
Targeting Computer
14 points
Academy Pilot #6
Targeting Computer
14 points
Academy Pilot #7
Targeting Computer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howlrunner already give a reroll to every ship in range 1 for 4 points instead of 14 points for this build. And for my part, with a 2 attack dice ship, I would always opt for a focus or evade action anyway, except when there is no one to shoot at and shoot at me, in that case I would do a target lock and hope it will be in position to be my next target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Targeting Computer is really not worth it for a regular TIE:

1) Imperials already have howlrunner, who allows rerolls and doesn't synergize well with TL.

2) It significantly increases the cost of the ship

3) You don't roll enough dice to make a really powerful shot worth boosting (by getting TL+Focus)

4) You aren't using your action to roll/evade/focus and keep the ship alive. Likely this means that your TIEs are rolling unmodified green dice and will die to ships rolling 3-4 modified attack dice.

I'd suggest instead that the Targeting Computer was really designed for Backstabber, Mauler Mithel, or any of the Unique TIE Interceptor pilots who have an EPT, to make them more powerful when they don't need to take defensive actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since Academy pilot are PS1, most of the time you would target lock an opponent without knowing if you'll be able to shoot at it or not, which is a waste of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Focus is free. Why pay 2 to Target Lock instead?
(4x Academy + 4x Obsidian > 8x Academy > 7x Academy w/ Targeting)

On the other hand, Mauler Mithel + PtL + Targeting Comp could be interesting at just 22 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Red Castle wrote:
Also, since Academy pilot are PS1, most of the time you would target lock an opponent without knowing if you'll be able to shoot at it or not, which is a waste of action.

This x 2 - My sentiments exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy buying 4 Imperial Aces boxes for all those Targeting Computers!

Seriously I think that you'll get more value out of the mod using higher skill pilots that can take PtL. Mauler and any Interceptor pilot with an EPT slot will be able to maximise the effectiveness of this upgrade as they have a great chance of knowing that they'll be out of enemy fire arcs when they choose to TL+Focus to improve the odds of inflicting some real damage with their attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
On the other hand, Mauler Mithel + PtL + Targeting Comp could be interesting at just 22 points.

Mauler Mithel + PtL + Targeting Comp (22)
Sabre Squadron + PtL + Targeting Comp (26)

If you can somehow get them all into range 1, that's 16 attack dice with TL + Focus! Take that, Rebel Scum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pitsch
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
commuterzombie wrote:
Enjoy buying 4 Imperial Aces boxes for all those Targeting Computers!

Seriously I think that you'll get more value out of the mod using higher skill pilots that can take PtL. Mauler and any Interceptor pilot with an EPT slot will be able to maximise the effectiveness of this upgrade as they have a great chance of knowing that they'll be out of enemy fire arcs when they choose to TL+Focus to improve the odds of inflicting some real damage with their attack.

ok, done, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.