Number of Players: 2

Estimated playtime: ???

Components:
-for game pieces, currently every type of coin
-two die
-small yellow pieces
-the game board

Summary:
Looting Looters' Loot is a game where you are the commander of a fleet of pirates and you are trying to take over your opponent's island and take their treasure. When you first enter the game, you only carry two gold coins. The rest are on your island, being defended by you. You have six ships; one Mainship, which is the ship you need to get to your opponent's island, one subship, where your deputy is, one Galleon, a slow-at-turning-battleship, a Frigate, another battleship, and two Dinghies, two lifeboats to help your men escape.
On a little island, there is a stingy boat maker that will sell boats to you for a pretty high price. And since the only currency you have is the gold coins you own and took from your enemy, that's the only payment the boat maker will take. But, when this battle is over, the stingy craftsman secretly plans to sail to mainland and sell the gold coins you gave him.
To win you must get your Mainship to your opponent's island. If there is a tie, then the amount of gold you both have is the tiebreaker.arrrh
bagbag

Thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1130919/wip-looting-loot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's way too many Loots in a row arrrh

I know "Loot" has been used recently I'm look at some different two word combos

noun stolen goods

booty
dough
spoils
graft
haul

lift
make
money
pickings
pillage

plunder
plunderage
prize
seizure
squeeze

Since the main theme seems to be protecting your hoard "Protect and Plunder"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for telling me. I'll try to think of another name for this game.
I also now have a basic concept of the cover art:

I'm not sure what to put in the middle though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Nash
United States
McCall
ID
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:
That's way too many Loots in a row arrrh

I disagree! The name has great appeal, and is cause to laugh out loud... which to me is a good indication for a game. Especially a themed game such as yours.

Any other name might just sound to generic.

(btw, this isn't just me saying this, I showed the post to a group 9 just now, and they all love it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterKuClass wrote:
I'm not sure what to put in the middle though.

Currently it looks, as if a Kamehameha has been cut out and thus is missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No way, keep the name! It sounds goofy and fun, and you've pulled me in with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zagieboylo
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm with the crowd that likes your original name. Looting Looters' Loot sounds like a fun and silly game that will be a great way to kill time waiting for the rest of the game crowd to show up, since I'm usually there early.

Of course, that's only true if your game is fun, silly, and quick. If you're talking about real tactics and a 90-minute gameplay, then it isn't a serious enough name.

Will the loot that you can gain include a "Golden Lute"? Just because the pun has been used before is no reason not to use it again. (This is a motto by which I live my life!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you're interested in other Pirate vs Pirate themed games:

Pirates of the Spanish Main

7th Sea Collectible Card Game

Dread Pirate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Nash
United States
McCall
ID
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snowden27 wrote:
No way, keep the name! It sounds goofy and fun, and you've pulled me in with it.

The name is exactly why I clicked into the thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
me too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on posting a game here! It is a very brave thing to put so much of yourself out into the public realm!

I'm firmly in the camp of those who don't want the name changed! Though I tend to flip it in my mind to read as Looters Looting Loot - but that's because I constantly flip word order when I read...

I will be looking forward to reading the rules when they are posted, and I will be by in the future to talk about game design and pepper you with questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will consider adding a Golden Lute, but I don't really see how. I'll sleep on it though. Looting Looters' [Loot] more or less meant money (gold). Adding the lute would make it funnier though. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look! Luke's Looting Looter's Lucky Lute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
from student # 13 (another student)

What number of sides on the dice work the best?

Will you give us print outs so we can make the dice ourselves or is it player provided?

How does the game end and how does it become a tie?

Maybe in the middle of the cover art you can have a flag with the games name on it(and maybe a skull/logo(or the golden loot))

~ Student # 13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Heye
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about a big rising yellow/orange sun in the middle instead of a small sun on the left?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't know what you mean by which side of the die works best. Could you clearify that a bit please? It's assumed that players have at least one die around their house, and if they don't, they could easily get a pair at a nearby dollar store or elsewhere.
Now that I think about it, this game currently can't end in a tie, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned that you win by getting your Mainship to your opponent's beach/shore. If I didn't, then it's here now.
As for the cover, Koen Heye also mentioned having a rising sun in the middle instead of on the side. I think I will incorporate both of your ideas, and thanks for the feedback (to everyone)! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm now working on the rules and things, so don't be impatient! (First draft, I hope you all will help me edit!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I mean are six sided dice the best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It'll just be the normal six-sided die. You shouldn't be using any other kind of die for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The ordering is somewhat weird, but I'll change that later. Hope you'll all help me edit, change, and set conditions for parts of the game! laugh
Looting Looters' Loot
What you need:
Coins (5 different types, see "Pieces")
One or two die, preferably two
Game Board
small pieces of material as gold coins (cut out paper, other game chips, etc.)
Pieces:
Toonie: Mainship
Loonie: Subship
Quarter: Galleon
Dime: Frigate
Nickel: Dinghy
Setup:
Place the two dinghies on the beach tiles that are on your side.
Place all other KINDS of boats (one of each type)on the second line of the board facing you (right off the your shore).
Put two gold in both treasure boxes.
Put all extra boats in the shop.

How the pieces move:
Mailship: 1 space in any direction (horizontally, vertically, diagonally). Must roll six to destroy.
Subship: Up to 2 spaces diagonally. Must roll five or over to destroy.
Galleon: 1 space vertically, and up to 3 spaces horizontally. Must roll four or over to destroy.
Frigate: Up to 2 spaces horizontally and vertically. Must roll four or over to destroy.
Dinghy: Up to 3 spaces any direction. Must roll 2 or over to destroy. -1 Gold to the looting of your ship for your opponent if one of your dinghies was beside the ship that was destroyed

Loot:
Currently, the only way to obtain loot (gold) is by destroying ships and looting them.
Mainship: Gain 5 Gold
Subship: Gain 4 Gold
Galleon: Gain 3 Gold
Frigate: Gain 3 Gold
Dinghies: Gain 0 Gold
Rules:
One player goes after the other, and for each turn, you can only move one piece in the chosen direction. You cannot go one direction, then another. (eg.; move your frigate 2 spaces up, then 1 space left in one turn)
How to play:
Looting Looters' Loot is a game much like chess. You start the game when one of the players moves one of their pieces to move or to attack. Since you move one piece at the time, it makes the game a lot harder, since the goal is to get your Mainship to your opponent's island.
Gold is hard to get, since you have to destroy ships by chance. It's even harder to come by when you start purchasing ships. They're one more Gold then you gain by looting the same kind, so spend your gold wisely!
Shop: Stingy Stan's Store
(I'm unsure of the conditions needed to visit and buy at this store. Some conditions I had thought of was; you must have at least one boat docked or on the shore, or have an island on the board containing Stingy Stan's Store.)
Mainship: 6 Gold, you can only have one Mainship during the game. You can buy a replacement when your previous mainship is destroyed, but you can't have two at the same time.
Subship: 5 Gold
Galleon: 3 Gold
Frigate: 3 Gold
Dinghy: 1 Gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. And you just gave away your location from the coins listed.

In America, it would be:

Dollar/Half Dollar Coin: Mainship
Quarter: Subship
Dime: Galleon
Nickel: Frigate
Penny: Dinghy

Just to let you know, there are many dice of different sides, I know you know that the game uses six-sided dice, but not everyone might make that assumption. I know that I have d4, d6, d8, d10, and d20s on hand at all times, and some of my friends have d30 and d100s.

You've done a rather good job covering all the questions that I wanted to know: ship movement, what directions they can move during their turn, how to get new ships, amount of ships you can have... etc... so good attention to details!

However, this does not mean that all questions were answered...

Now, some questions:

How do you attack? Do you need to be adjacent? Do you need to be able to legally move into the space the enemy occupies (like Chess?)

Do you only roll one six-sided die per attack?

What happens when you fail an attack? Does your ship not move? Do you just fail and nothing happens?

Have you tried playtesting yet? Because I'd like to know what people buy at Stingy Stan's Store. I'm guessing an extra Galleon or Frigate would be worth the purchase. I rather like the idea of needing to have a boat on the beach to be able to buy from the story - that means players would have to plan for buying a boat and couldn't just purchase one on the fly when their ship goes down.

I'd also love to see a map when you have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, okay, I did give away which country our class is in, but you don't know which city/town we're in!
To attack, you have to legally move and be on the space next to the ship you're attacking, either vertically or horizontally. Then you tell your opponent that you are going to attack that ship (you can be beside an enemy's ship and not attack it). Roll your die (one die per attack). If the roll is the number you need to demolish the ship, then you may loot the ship. If not, then the roll goes to your opponent for a counterattack. If your opponent successfully rolls the number needed or higher, then he/she may loot your ship. If not, then go back and forth until one of you meet the number needed or higher. Whoever gets the number, gets to loot the other person's ship. The destroyed ship sinks into the water and cannot be used anymore (gets taken off the board). Whoever announced the attack's turn is over when the bombarding is over. It's now the other person's turn.

The game board is currently 12 x 12, and one pair of opposing ends will have the beaches on both sides. The beaches will be 1 space vertically (facing you), and stretch to the ends of the board (to the left and right of you). I hope to make the board soon, but I don't know whether to have squares or hexagons. If it turns out to be hexagonal, then the design will be a tad bit more different. It was originally planned as using squares, but I guess it's not necessary. Please give suggestions of which to use!
P.S. No I haven't done play-testing yet since I have no one to do it with. I'm definitely doing it very soon though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your detailed response! I appreciate that you are taking the time to answer me. (And don't worry, I'm not going to use my mad Google skills to find where your class is located.)

So, as of how things are working now, do NOT switch to hexes. Stick with your original squares. Four directions is much less complex than six. If, during playtesting, it turns out that movement is too limited, then you might want to see how hexes would work. Because if you changed to hexes, the overall movement for many of the ships would change... and since you already have the movement for squares worked out, don't make more work for yourself - at least, not until you see how it plays.

And yes, I know, more questions...

So, if both players fail to attack the other ship, could one, at any time, decide the fight isn't worth it and sail away? Or are they stuck battling it out?

OR if they can't move, could the original attacker, realizing this was a failed attempt, stop attacking and just let the other player take their turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterKuClass wrote:

To attack, you have to legally move and be on the space next to the ship you're attacking, either vertically or horizontally. Then you tell your opponent that you are going to attack that ship (you can be beside an enemy's ship and not attack it). Roll your die (one die per attack). If the roll is the number you need to demolish the ship, then you may loot the ship. If not, then the roll goes to your opponent for a counterattack. If your opponent successfully rolls the number needed or higher, then he/she may loot your ship. If not, then go back and forth until one of you meet the number needed or higher. Whoever gets the number, gets to loot the other person's ship. The destroyed ship sinks into the water and cannot be used anymore (gets taken off the board). Whoever announced the attack's turn is over when the bombarding is over. It's now the other person's turn.

Is there any restriction which ship class can attack another class?

If not, it seems best to always attack with a dinghy, as it provides a good shot (no pun intended) at a nice loot without risking a large gain for your opponent. Yes, the chance of losing the dinghy if the first attack fails is pretty large, but still....

I can't see a good reason why I should ever risk attacking with the main ship.... which doesn't seem very thematic as it should be the strongest ship of the fleet, not only in terms of defense (as it is currently in your game) but also in terms of attack power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They're stuck in the battle until it's resolved. Eventually, someone will get the roll they want and defeat the other person. And no, they can't retreat, for fear of the other ship still firing at them. If one or the other gives up, then the ship will be demolished by the other party and looted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.