Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand your angst in waiting a long time for a game, but I would rather have a finely tuned, bug free, thoroughly play tested game, than something which is rushed out the door in haste. Good things take time to perfect, and I think the wait will be worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
demonsss wrote:
3 years! something to be ashamed of I think...

Really? I don't think so at all. Rather, I've been quite impressed reading about the amount of serious care being taken in development and testing of the game to improve its quality, which will seemingly be far higher than most published wargames.

What's shameful about that? AFAIK they were under no contract or obligation to finish it in a certain amount of time (if I'm mistaken, please correct me!)

It seems like complaining that an author didn't finish writing a novel as quickly as you liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

It seems like complaining that an author didn't finish writing a novel as quickly as you liked.

Hmm.. Not quite, considering you usually don't pay the author in advance for the novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all have different anxieties about how we spend our money. I generally don't preorder from companies that take my money up front (and I ignore Kickstarter altogether). I made an exception for this one based on reputation of the designer and the developer.

I've seen varying performances when it comes to how game companies handle preorders, and I try to find out all I can about the development of the game when I place my order so that I can anticipate its completion. Many games are indeed not fully developed when they go out the door, and frequently that's the result of the game company having to meet deadlines so they can keep their revenue flowing, gang-print game components, and so on. When it comes to a game of this complexity, with three independent games in the package, I'm not at all surprised it takes this long to develop (I helped playtest a game that was a part of a long-standing series that was a four-year project).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demonsss wrote:
Its been nearly 3 years , In my view a shocking amount of time, ... before I get the company supporter geeks on my case... there is a lot of game companies out there punting for my pound.. my blacklist of companies pre-order ethics is growing. Waiting I have no problems at all with, but just tell me the truth at the start... I will still always support if I like the product... 3 years! something to be ashamed of I think... (also something in the south Atlantic had similar communication issues)
Well said. This isn't "angst," which is individual, it's frustration, which is relational. Calling it angst is dismissive, saying the problem is inside the person, rather than admitting the problem is in the relationship between buyer and seller. Another example of why companies should have customer service reps field these questions.

There are a lot of great games and a lot of great gaming experiences left to be had. I have too many games, war and not war, that I thought was going to give me that Next Big Thrill (c). I've been right 1 out of 100 times.

Will this game be the one? Who cares? There are already too many war games I haven't played, solo and not, where I'm expecting the next big thrill. Let them take their time. At the price point of this game, having the first buyers finish the playtesting would be worse than waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
demonsss wrote:
Its been nearly 3 years ,

If I may ask since what?

Can't be paying for the game as I was anxiously awaiting for the payment window to open and jumped right in with my payment as soon as it was open. My payment was in January of 2012 making it just 2 years in my book.

And the pre-order price I paid at that point in time is lower than the the pre-order price now, so personally, I find that adequate compensation for waiting a bit longer between pre-order and delivery.

Have you contacted the company to request a refund if you are unhappy with the delivery time and the information that has been communicated within the updates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I totally understand your frustration, try to remember that this is essentially three games in one box. Two solo games and one two-player game. Each needs to be play-tested and finely tuned, with rounds of rules editing for each. Those solo maps are not your standard fare either, and they really need to be perfect out the door.

So, patience, my friend, will be rewarded.

BTW, I played a 2p play-test copy last October and the game seemed pretty darned well on its way! Just sit tight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Tinimini wrote:
russ wrote:

Hmm.. Not quite, considering you usually don't pay the author in advance for the novel.

I only recently started following this game, so I simply don't know: have people actually paid in advance for the game (as opposed to e.g. pledging in a P500 program that they'll pay when the game is published)? As I said, "if I'm mistaken, please correct me!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gavin,

It seems like you have read all the development updates I have posted so far, so that should mostly bring you abreast of the work in progress on my side.

The most reliable information I can provide is to describe where things are in the process.

- Tomorrow, I will review the final edits to the counter sheets provided back from the artist (as well as final edits to the cards and maps). The counter sheets will be ganged together with another large order by Compass - in the works to go to press in a few weeks.

- This will mean all the graphics components will be settled.

- JB is working through a full side-by-side review of the entire package that I prepared for him weeks ago. This is a couple hundred pages generated from nearly 60 files.

- He is likely to need more time to work through that and then when he is finished, he'll ship everything back to me, I'll apply all the edits, revise any illustrations, the indexes, player aids, and so on.

- I will then deliver all of the files to Ken so he can start to design and compose the final presentation of the rules and aids.

- My original work estimate proposed that it would take us a full month to compose (from start through iterations and proof) each of the major components - three rule booklets and the 15 player aids (meaning actually 30 pages on 15 sheets) for the three games. That's four months sequentially (mostly nights and weekends).

- That was a guess - we'll see how we actually do. It would be wonderful to go faster, but I insist that sufficient proofreading be done at each step.

- It's next to impossible to publish a delivery date when materials still have to be composed, proofed and finalized. Real dates can be discussed when physical materials, quantities and production rates are the currency of discussion.

I hope I have provided and can continue to provide you with information about progress and the process to get to final. I invite you to contact me separately if you have more questions or concerns. Perhaps you'd be willing to help proofread the final composed materials prior to going to press? Let me know.

Thank you,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]This isn't "angst," which is individual, it's frustration, which is relational. Calling it angst is dismissive, saying the problem is inside the person, rather than admitting the problem is in the relationship between buyer and seller. [/q]

I think that's really just splitting hairs over the semantics of the word "angst".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome David!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Tinimini wrote:
russ wrote:

I only recently started following this game, so I simply don't know: have people actually paid in advance for the game (as opposed to e.g. pledging in a P500 program that they'll pay when the game is published)? As I said, "if I'm mistaken, please correct me!"

I paid up front. Which I actually kind of like. I had the money for it then and now all I have to do is wait for its arrival. If it was like GMT's P500 system, I wouldnt have the money any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Talon
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
I pre-ordered it today and paid. Now all there is is to wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. As each outlined step occurs, I will post an update. For travel and business reasons, we are going to be quiet for 3-4 weeks.

Once I deliver the Golden Master to Ken to start composition, I will contact everyone who has volunteered to do post-proofing. At that time other readers who are interested should feel free to contact me to understand what is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new updates on a ship date for this game? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compass Games has it releasing on the 1st September 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kappa_ap wrote:
Compass Games has it releasing on the 1st September 2014.

Keiron, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiewarrior07 wrote:
Quote:
This isn't "angst," which is individual, it's frustration, which is relational. Calling it angst is dismissive, saying the problem is inside the person, rather than admitting the problem is in the relationship between buyer and seller.
I think that's really just splitting hairs over the semantics of the word "angst".
Maybe, but we often attribute to our individual selves what is properly caused by a relationship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We are still in the composition stage for the rule books and aids, they are not yet ready for post-proofing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I still in time to preorder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you want me to continue to comment or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! Info is good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this one really moved out its expected deliver date. It is now Nov 2014. I bet more likely early 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Wow this one really moved out its expected deliver date. It is now Nov 2014.

That seems to be taken from the Compass Games website.

Oh well. We'll get it eventually and it will be wonderful when we do. This is a very complicated game to produce correctly and I'd rather have all the errata caught before it goes out the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.