Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Narciso Aguirre
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

WOW! I am beside myself as I consider what this game has brought to the table. I have just finished my first play of the "Rise of the People" scenario. I eeked out a major victory but what I'm really stoked about is the way the game eerily recreates the history of the Dine. Folks, if you play this game without having read and absorbed all the designer's reasonings behind many of the mechanics and all the historical information behind the cards, then you are doing yourself a huge disservice. Within the 18 cards of this scenario a story began to unfold that, remarkably, took on a life of it's own.

A few examples from this alternate history: The local tribes were unified in strong in opposition against the Spanish throughout the game(by game's end not once had a Ute! or Comanche counter been swapped onto the active column). Early in the game the Apache/Ute/Comanche/Dine Raids on the Spanish(i.e. super lucky cube pulls) were devastating. The governors of New Mexico lost their credibility and were forced to yield to the Catholic Church's agenda as the New Mexico colonists united in prayer for salvation from the 'savage' threat(swaps and flips set up a string of 'crucifix' instuctions). The Dine Elders agreed with the Headmen that an increasingly strong military was the key to survival. A growing Spanish population and many years of warfare againt the Zuni Tribe was proof of that. However, due to the spread of Christianity in the tribe many Elders felt that the Dine were walking the enemy way(I got hit with two of these in hand) and that the Great Spirit would seek blood for blood(the Enemy was hoarding up Ap for a Raid 9; thankfully I had Cunning and was able to skip to Raid 7). The unrelenting Zuni tribe eventually wiped the Dine out from the Zuni Mountains(brutal Major Event) while the Spanish raided Shiprock and the San Juan Valley forcing the Dine to retreat deep into their territory. Years of mistreatment and subjegation finally came to a head as the Pueblo Tribes united in warfare against the Spanish. This revolt went on for several decades(again thanks to amazing cube pulls in the face of at least one 8AP subjugate and thanks to cube resets from the planning action). The Dine spent this time planning and increasing their military might while their culture declined(using Elders to +1Military/-1Culture and a major event that gave all elders an action with auto-success). The Elders of old died off(my second and final Passage of Time) and Christianity pervaded the Dine as did the 'Might vs. Magic' mentality among the Headmen. After the Pueblo Revolt the Catholic Church was firmly in charge of New Mexico's agenda(so many active church chits). The Church's reach increased in the Shiprock territory and Missions were built in the San Juan Valley, Zuni Mountains and Monument Valley by the Franciscan Faction. In the E and NE the Dine were enclaved and they prospered in the SE and SW. During the years leading up to the turn of the century, the local tribes once again declared war against New Mexico.

At the end of the game I scored a Major Victory: Military-8, Culture-5, Enemy Ferocity-4, Enemy Morale-5, Four complete in-play Families, 4 lvl-0(newbie) Elders.

And now here's what inspired me to post... I don't think that a boardgame has ever given me the feeling that I had during the final VP Victory Check of this game. I looked at my lowly 1 culture point and then at my elder track(nothing but 4 nubs). I knew that I had won the game but I felt worried for the Dine! For a moment, I lamented that they had won the war but lost their soul. In that same moment, I felt their accomplishment in not only surviving but also in thriving. As this was all sinking in, I looked at the elder display and immediately felt personal loss coupled with hope for the future... It's the damndest thing! I was blown away and compelled to post.

Navajo Wars is the real deal. This is the best solo game I have played. I have heard the phrases, 'tacked on theme' and 'oozes theme'... Well, for Navajo Wars, the theme is in the sinews and marrow of the game. No way around it for me; this game IS theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said! It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through the tutorial but haven't got it fully to the table yet. It's on my shelf next to Fields of Fire in the GMT section, both mocking me and my lack of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daboomer wrote:

Years of mistreatment and subjegation finally came to a head as the Pueblo Tribes united in warfare against the Spanish. This revolt went on for several decades(again thanks to amazing cube pulls in the face of at least one 8AP subjugate and thanks to cube resets from the planning action)

I really enjoyed reading your narrative. If I'm interpreting you correctly it seems you were resetting cubes during the Pueblo Revolt which isn't allowed. The only way to put the cubes in the Recovery Box back in the Raid Pool prior to drawing the third red is to conduct a victory check brought on by the next Historical Event, Franciscan Faction Ascendant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the best solo system I have played--especially considering its complexity, it really is fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report. I must get this onto the table again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game and am just slogging through the rules. From the review, do you feel that there are enough player decisions or is the game playing you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
carthagenj wrote:
I have the game and am just slogging through the rules. From the review, do you feel that there are enough player decisions or is the game playing you?

Lots and lots of decisions. Trust me I know what you mean by the game playing you, and that happens sometimes with Victory Point Games States of Siege games (they're really good games in my opinion, but do kind of have that feel of it playing you). I think NW is the most unique solitaire system I have played. The enemy A.I. is done in a very interesting way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.