Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Alcorn
United Kingdom
Leiston
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On our first test game, the very first hand had the "Divine Blessing" event come up.

The rulebook states that "If a player has no cards to recover ... they will need to discard their played cards first".

Now, I couldn't find a clear answer for this - when an event happens, and players compare their top cards, do those top cards count as "played" and are then discarded immediately after Step 1?

If not (which is how we've been playing), does the "Divine Blessing" effect in this situation wait for the played cards to be discarded in Step 5?

I may just have missed the answer to this in the rules or the forum, but if someone could clear it up, I'd be most grateful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Event cards can never be recovered, so the timing of its discard will not help.

However, event cards are played immediately, and before playing cards from your hand, so if this happens to be the first event in the first hand then it will be discarded for no effect.

best wishes, Rick

EDIT: I prefer your interpretation, so maybe Nigel can errata it .. Nigel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Alcorn
United Kingdom
Leiston
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks - we did play it as you said - discarded with no effect, but there was some rule consulting and discussion about whether that was the correct path.
It's not likely to come up that often, I guess, but perhaps often enough to be worth clarifying.

Also, I might not have been clear - I get the event cards can't be recovered, but we also were unclear as to whether the use of your top crew card to compare stats for the event counted as "played" for that crew card, leading to it being discarded before step 2 of the round - we decided that it didn't.
(It's an interesting split - if the crew card is not discarded, you now each know your opponent's number for one statistic. If it is discarded, your planned strategy is suddenly all messed up.)

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure the top card is not discarded when determining who "wins" the event trick.

But yes that means your opponent knows one of your stats for that ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right.. when comparing top-card stats the card is not discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Alcorn
United Kingdom
Leiston
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, we ended up playing correctly - but it's good to know for if it comes up again.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.