Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I love the amount of anger this game generates between close friends! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Ma
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
After reading about this game for awhile and never seeing it in my gaming circles, I finally decided to just buy it. I read the rules and got my friends together for a game of Cosmic Encounter

Theme / Components
I usually don't like space themes but this one has some real charm. Everything from the little discs that reminds you of stacked pancakes to the individual alien cards with special powers.

The components were awesome. It's simply some of the best I've seen in gaming.

Gameplay
This is a negotiation game that can make even the quiet people really loud. The game basically boils down to you trying to attack other people's planet with your ships but during your attack, other players can either help you or the defending player based on how you negotiate. There's then powers in the game that affects the outcome of the battle.

We got started in a 5 player game and I had no idea if this game would work. During my first encounter, I invited all everyone to help me and the defender invited everyone to help him... and that's when the game clicked. The negotiations started, alliances were formed and back stabbings were about to begin.

See, you can win the game with other player(s) as "co-winners" but I made sure to call out that co-winners is another term for "2 or more losers" -- It's like going to the Olympics and winning anything but the gold medal because let's face it, any medal other than gold doesn't really matter. Since these people were my close friends, I wanted to make sure we do everything we can to compete as hard as possible and go for blood.

People really and I mean really got into the game. Negotiations that started as chatter, turned into arguments really quickly. During the turn that I was about to win the game, people were all standing at the table shouting at each other for different alliance strategies. It was just exciting to watch and you can tell that people were really getting angry with the backstabbing and attacks -- I loved it!

After I won the game, everyone came down and laughed and they all asked to play it again immediately and that's the sign of a great game. People get emotionally involved and can't wait to play it more than once.

Minor Gripes
There's a lot of little things you have to remember in the rules. During our first play, we got 1 rule wrong and during our 2nd play, we simply forgot another rule. It didn't really affect how much fun we had so I guess it doesn't matter too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
This generates a great deal of anger in me, because I need to wait several years before I can get 5 people (three of them are aged 1½ to 4) together to play it!

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Thompson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Zap
This is my all time favourite game. It's one of the few games that I really enjoy losing. It's very re-playable as every game features new alien powers and interactions. Good choice of games.

troy4u wrote:
After reading about this game for awhile and never seeing it in my gaming circles, I finally decided to just buy it. I read the rules and got my friends together for a game of Cosmic Encounter

Theme / Components
I usually don't like space themes but this one has some real charm. Everything from the little discs that reminds you of stacked pancakes to the individual alien cards with special powers.

The components were awesome. It's simply some of the best I've seen in gaming.

Gameplay
This is a negotiation game that can make even the quiet people really loud. The game basically boils down to you trying to attack other people's planet with your ships but during your attack, other players can either help you or the defending player based on how you negotiate. There's then powers in the game that affects the outcome of the battle.

We got started in a 5 player game and I had no idea if this game would work. During my first encounter, I invited all everyone to help me and the defender invited everyone to help him... and that's when the game clicked. The negotiations started, alliances were formed and back stabbings were about to begin.

See, you can win the game with other player(s) as "co-winners" but I made sure to call out that co-winners is another term for "2 or more losers" -- It's like going to the Olympics and winning anything but the gold medal because let's face it, any medal other than gold doesn't really matter. Since these people were my close friends, I wanted to make sure we do everything we can to compete as hard as possible and go for blood.

People really and I mean really got into the game. Negotiations that started as chatter, turned into arguments really quickly. During the turn that I was about to win the game, people were all standing at the table shouting at each other for different alliance strategies. It was just exciting to watch and you can tell that people were really getting angry with the backstabbing and attacks -- I loved it!

After I won the game, everyone came down and laughed and they all asked to play it again immediately and that's the sign of a great game. People get emotionally involved and can't wait to play it more than once.

Minor Gripes
There's a lot of little things you have to remember in the rules. During our first play, we got 1 rule wrong and during our 2nd play, we simply forgot another rule. It didn't really affect how much fun we had so I guess it doesn't matter too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Abfalter
msg tools

This game is so FUN to play that I rarely care if I win or lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I Card Zap your Cosmic Zap

randalthompson wrote:
This is my all time favourite game. It's one of the few games that I really enjoy losing. It's very re-playable as every game features new alien powers and interactions. Good choice of games.

I really love all the aliens and the various interactions. It's even more chaotic and fun when you have a group of experienced players and are able to use two powers each. Woo hoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.