Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Power Grid.

I prefer Steam much more than Brass, but think Brass is excellent.

I'm "meh" on Le Havre, and really dislike despise Agricola.

I like thoughtful middle-weight games that are joyful to play like Keyflower, Concordia, Homesteaders, Castles of Burgandy, Troyes and Macao.

I've owned and traded away Le Havre, Bruges, Navegador, Caylus, Trajan, Hansa, and light-middling games like Thurn & Taxis and their ilk. I'm passingly familiar with many of the top 100+ games.

I'm a war gamer but am happy with my current crop of games.

So, in terms of a new Euro with great staying power and depth, but not fiddly components or game time much more than 120 minutes, what should the next game I look deeply into be? And why?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

I've owned and traded away Le Havre, Bruges, Navegador, Caylus, Trajan, Hansa, and light-middling games like Thurn & Taxis and their ilk. I'm passingly familiar with many of the top 100+ games.

I have no real answer but this Hansa, do you really mean Hansa (which is a good game) or do you mean Hansa Teutonica (Which is almost as despisable as Agricola)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam as awesome!

Dont know what else to suggest... Terra Mystica?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Railroads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first recommendation would be El Grande. I'll second Terra Mystica. And perhaps Reef Encounter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on everything you said, my best recommendation is New Amsterdam. It's got several clever interlocking mechanics but isn't overly heavy. I'd say it fits right in with Keyflower, Homesteaders, Burgundy, Troyes and Macao (all games I also love).

Also, maybe Comuni. It's a few years old, but sounds like another good candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried First Train to Nuremberg? Wallace, thoughtful, middle-weight, under 120 minutes. I'm not familiar with Steam, but I know Age of Steam, and it's quite different from that (and from Brass).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar? It's a really neat worker placement game with lots of replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

El Grande is magnificent with four or five, Tikal is excellent with three or four.

Get thee to kramer.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be pleased with Age of Industry, I think. It is a streamlined version of Brass. It doesn't take as long and there's less bookkeeping, which is why I prefer it.

Hansa Teutonica is another great one you'd probably really really like. I do, and you seem to share some of my tastes (though I enjoy Agricola). Also, it ends so fast you'll be surprised because so much happens. It is weird like that.

Ora & Labora is a modernized Le Havre, and I don't feel it gets enough attention. I was meh on Le Havre and I am still undecided on O&L, but I like it more in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Railrods
Caverna
Bruxelles 1893
New Amsterdam
Chicago Express
Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Snowdonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Inca Empire for 3-4 players. It's a very neat network building game that reimplements an older crayon rails game and relies on parasiting off of your opponents buildings whilst locking them out from your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone ... let me see if I can address each post.

@virre
Yes, I meant Hansa. I liked it but it was too dry for em at the time, but it's something I may re-look at.

@Tariff
Every time I've seen Terra Mystica played it seems mega-fiddly. I will look more into the gameplay experience though next time I see it being played.

@CrankyDay
Russian Railroads I was only "meh" on the one time I played. Don't know why as it does seem to be the new hotness but with some staying power. And Rahdo loves it so this is worth another play-through. It's certainly fast.

@moramis
Loved El Grande but now hard to find. Trying to get it back into my collection via trade.

@DigitalMan
New Amsterdam looks interesting, not one I was especially familiar with.

@jaysachs
First Train to Nuremburg is actually on the shelves of my FLGS in the "deeply discounted" section for $15 I think. Hmm, that's one to think about.

@newstarkiller
Tzolkin I was also "meh" on but again, I should be able to say why, but I can't. Both this and Terra need some more plays I think.

@Sagrilarus
Tikal I own on my iPad. I like it, but not enough to own the physical copy of.

@nomoredroids
Age of Industry, Hansa Teutonica and Ora & Labora all deserve a good look from me. I've added those to my list of play and/or play a few times to get a feeling for. AoI especially after reading some people's comments about the game.

@pacman88k
Caverna I didn't like. Haven't tried Bruxelles 1893 yet, so I"ve added that to the list too. Chicago Express I liked my few plays but not enough to own it, as I know someone with it. Kemet I didn't like the theme, but good suggestion.

@ScottNotSteve
I love Snowdonia and rate it a "9".

Finally, @DreadFuzzy
Owned and traded away Inca Empire. Good game though, just was pruning my collection at the time. Not quite good enough to want back.

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions. There are now a good handful on my list to try for the first time or dig into a bit more deeply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World is my number one eurogame. It's similarity to Steam you might consider to be a positive or a negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Railways of the World is my number one eurogame. It's similarity to Steam you might consider to be a positive or a negative.

I almost picked this up recently but felt it was too close to Steam, which is owned by a good friend a few houses up my street. That said, I'm not against a railway game themed game in my collection, hence the First Train to Nuremburg post above. Especially since it's $15 new at my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see some detailed feedback from the OP on one of these threads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If two-player-only is not a rightout criteria for exclusion you might want to consider Polis: Fight for the Hegemony.
It should provide staying power and a nice blend of Euro with a tasty bit of warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps consider 'Tuscany'. Back it March 12th when it gets its kickstart and include the 2nd Ed. of 'Viticulture'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Perturabo
Polis has been on my want to try list for a while. Definitely looking into that one.

@Ingulphus
New one on the radar. Thanks, I'll look into it.

@pfctsqr
Had it and traded it away. Now I can't remember why. I'll re-look at my notes to figure out what it was about the game that made me feel okay with it leaving my shelves.

All ... I did pick up a new shrink-wrapped copy of First Train to Nuremberg from my FLGS for $15 (who could say no?!) and will post my impressions after a play or two, to give the thread some more context. It's set up ready to go, just didn't get time last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the "joy to play" phrase and Dungeon Petz was one of the first games that came to mind. I love the theme and the artwork, and always have fun playing it. And it's one of only a few worker placement (or euro, for that matter) games my fiance will play - he shares your love of Power Grid and distaste for Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Glory to Rome ? There's a lot of depth there and it meets the 120 minute time frame.

The game has a lot of replay value because of the various interactions between the buildings being built and because it scales so well.

It is sort of my go to Euro unless I'm in a light Euro-wargame mood in which case I go with Antike but looking through your collection it looks like you get the opportunity to play your deeper wargames with your playgroup so that one may not pertain.

Diis

PS: I wish I could get my game group to play wargames...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Power Grid, but I like Power Grid: The First Sparks even better. It does not have auctions, so depending on what you you like about Power Grid, it may be better or worse for you. It is a different game but still very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mintkawetz
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica, or Village. Village is a little finicky, but nothing terrible. If you get a newer copy of HT the rules are good, if you get an old copy, print the new rules. Manhattan Project is pretty good also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.