Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules seemed unclear to me on this.

If I'm playing solo do I start with one token of each of the 5 colors?

If I'm playing Initiate level, do I get 2 black tokens or only get 1 token when I'm playing on Initiate and 0 at higher difficulties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9:

Quote:
For solo game.
Remove 15 ghost cards before adding the incarnation(s) of Wu-Feng to the deck. Take one blue, one green, one yellow, and one red Tao token (1 black more in initiation mode). Take 3 neutral power tokens.

What is unclear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
Page 9:

Quote:
For solo game.
Remove 15 ghost cards before adding the incarnation(s) of Wu-Feng to the deck. Take one blue, one green, one yellow, and one red Tao token (1 black more in initiation mode). Take 3 neutral power tokens.

What is unclear?

I found it unclear, too. I know it's translated from French, so I don't complain about it too much because quite frankly I'm very happy to have such a wonderful board game to play, but the game does deserve a better quality of translation and a thorough proof-read. If I was fluent in French, I'd honestly offer to translate the book for free.

What is unclear is the '(1 black more in initiation mode)'. You have to go back to the beginning of the rulebook to see that in initiation mode for 4 players you each take 1 black Tao token. Would it have been so hard for the translator(s) to write it like this:

'Take one blue, one green, one yellow, one red and one black Tao token. Add one more black token (making a total of 2 black tokens) if you are playing initiation mode'

?

Rulebooks should be simple to understand. A game can be as complex as it likes - the explanation of the rules needn't be.

As it stands, once you've understood all the basics, Ghost Stories is actually a pretty straight-forward game to play. It's just a shame that the rulebook has been treated so poorly for English speakers (not sure about other translations?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, that's exactly what was confusing me. So I should start with two black tokens in playing Solo Initiate. I erred on the side of caution and only took one. I also lost.

Now I Know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MavL
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Would it have been so hard for the translator(s) to write it like this:

'Take one blue, one green, one yellow, one red and one black Tao token. Add one more black token (making a total of 2 black tokens) if you are playing initiation mode'

?

The translator didn't write it like this because this is incorrect. In french it says "(plus un noir en mode initiation)". Il means nothing more than: add a black token to the other 4 tokens if playing initiation mode. Would it be clearer to say "plus one black" instead of "one black more"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peutcheubeu wrote:
DavidSL wrote:
Would it have been so hard for the translator(s) to write it like this:

?

The translator didn't write it like this because this is incorrect. In french it says "(plus un noir en mode initiation)". Il means nothing more than: add a black token to the other 4 tokens if playing initiation mode. Would it be clearer to say "plus one black" instead of "one black more"?

Then it still doesn't make sense. In the 'set-up' section of the rulebook (which says it is for a 4-player initiation game) it says to take one Tao token of your colour, and one black token. In the solo section it says to take one of each plus 'one black more'. Since the solo section is only talking about changes to the usual set-up, one would assume that 'one black more' means an additional black token, on top of the black token you would take anyway. The solo section makes no mention of Qi tokens, so it is clearly stating changes to the usual set-up for solo games only. This is how I read it, anyway. After seeing your translation, however, it seems that what they are saying is 'add one black for initiation mode', rather than, 'add one black MORE for initiation mode', which is a completely different meaning.

These minor errors are forgivable in a translation, but it's a shame that they occur, because it makes it very frustrating to know that I could be playing the game the wrong way every time I set it up.

In short: Yes, thank you. It would be better wording if it is written as 'Plus one black for initiation mode'. This does have quite a big impact on the game, as well. Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:
Thank you, that's exactly what was confusing me. So I should start with two black tokens in playing Solo Initiate. I erred on the side of caution and only took one. I also lost.

Now I Know...

It looks like I'm actually mistaken on this, but fear not, I took two black tokens assuming it was the thing to do, and I also lost. It took about 30 minutes, and that was with slowing down to check rules, etc. I'd say if I was 100% on the rules that would have been a 15 minute solo game. This game is awesome, haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idiomatic English phrasing would be

Take one blue, one green, one yellow, and one red Tao token (and one black if playing in initiation mode).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.