Subject: Thinking about getting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry big gamer

Fitchburg
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want your opinion if I bought this game, would I be able to catch up with the people playing it from the beginning. I play magic once and a while but there are so many cards and they come out with so many updated decks I can't keep up. I want to buy this game but I don't want to play against people that have so many expansion cards that I cant catch up without spending a arm and a leg. I hope that make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what you mean by catch up. Are you looking to play competitively? If so, naturally you will be a little behind those investing in all of the datapacks.

If you want to play something like a weekly league or occasional face to face games, you dont need all of the data packs to make reasonably competitve decks.

Either way, even if you did buy all of the data packs and 2-3 core sets, its a heckuva lot cheaper than Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry big gamer

Fitchburg
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nords3x4 wrote:

If you want to play something like a weekly league or occasional face to face games, you dont need all of the data packs to make reasonably competitve decks.

Either way, even if you did buy all of the data packs and 2-3 core sets, its a heckuva lot cheaper than Magic.

Ya I'm leaning more to this option. I'm looking to maybe play at my local gaming store once a week. I just hate getting my deck just wiped out fast cause I don't have this expansion and this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
henry2013 wrote:
Nords3x4 wrote:

Ya I'm leaning more to this option. I'm looking to maybe play at my local gaming store once a week. I just hate getting my deck just wiped out fast cause I don't have this expansion and this expansion.

Netrunner does not have the power creep that you see in some other card games. Some core cards are very strong and you see them in many competitive decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not expect to be very competitve with only 1 core set vs someone with all the cards. But you can can still build some nice decks with limited data packs and ideally a second core.

But you have to know their will be SOME limits based on the cards you own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford at least $30 a month, you can buy data packs twice as fast as they come out. It's much easier to catch up than Magic because of the non random format where nothing is out of print.

In terms of skill, there's ground to be made up either way. It's probably similar, and while ANR arguably rewards knowing the carpool more, it doesn't have two decades of analysis and practice behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only got into Netrunner last month and I already have 2 Cores, all expansions thus far, and have competed in a few draft events and store championships.

It's really not hard to get caught up and every game you play, especially with others more experienced than yourself, will be full of lessons learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In Netrunner, the catching up you'll have to do has far less to do with the price of the packs as you might expect if you've played a CCG like Magic, and far more to do with the fact that it's going to take you some time before you've been exposed to all the cards and know how to play around them.

Fortunately, this is an excellent quality to have in a strategy game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expect to lose a lot. It is an excellent game that will impress you, even when you are on the losing end. But each loss teaches you something about how to play the game better, how to build your deck to suit your objectives. Really an excellent game.

I do not play competitively. I have 1 core with a couple data packs and play from that with my son, and sometimes my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be a bit behind. But not a lot. Mainly becuase of two things:
- the game is still quite new, so there are not a lot of expansions released,
- as some people already mentioned, the power level balance is good and core set cards are still strong.

I think the best way to start (if you can afford it) is to spend $104 at coolstufinc, which will get you 2 core sets and 5 datapacks of your choice. This will be more than enough to get you to the point where it's not your deck, but your experience that is making you lose at the beginning. And with this card pool you should also be able to build various decks, which will make wonders with dealing with the lack of experience problem.

From then on to become better you'll simply have to play. Every single dumb loss saves you several dumb losses in the future This game is very much about knowing how to play your deck, a great player with a decent deck will easily beat a decent player with a great deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry big gamer

Fitchburg
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for their input. I decided I'm going to get it. I ordered Android: Netrunner. I will start there and work on expanding when I get some plays under my belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.