Subject: Which Shadow Rune Interlude is more fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everyone!

Next week my group will play the final quest in the first act. We're doing A Fat Goblin (I've intentionally planned out a campaign that's favoring the heroes to make sure they stay interested), and we've played Death on the Wing, a hero win, and the Errata'd Castle Daerion, an overlord win (barely). So A Fat Goblin is our tie-breaker and decides which Interlude we will end up playing. Now I'm just wondering if either of the interludes are more fun? I may want pull some punches if the hero interlude is better that the overlord interlude. I'd love everyone's opinion, so I can plan out our playing accordingly.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tondl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the Overlord Revealed, it is one of my favorite quests from the game actually, all expansions included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Well if that's true I might just play overlord revealed regardless of the outcome of our final. We're not strictly following the campaign rules for choosing quests, also I'm not sure I will get the same group to play shadow rune ever again, so it might just be best to pick out the 'better' one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer The Overlord Revealed over The Shadow Vault. The Shadow Vault is just a long slog of fighting through unending waves of monsters. The Overlord Revealed has an unknown aspect to it that keeps it fresh, and it is much tighter and quicker.

That said, from the standpoint of wanting to have the best advantage for later, the heroes should want to play The Shadow Vault more than The Overlord Revealed, because the Shadow Vault has twice as many search tokens, and they are generally easier to get.

If you force the heroes to play The Overlord Revealed even if they win the last Act I quest, you may want to give them a few free search cards at the end to make up for the money they would have earned had you done The Shadow Vault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Dexter345 wrote:

If you force the heroes to play The Overlord Revealed even if they win the last Act I quest, you may want to give them a few free search cards at the end to make up for the money they would have earned had you done The Shadow Vault.

Thanks for pointing that out, that's really good to know. I'll definitely keep that in mind if they win A Fat Goblin and we still end up playing The Overlord Revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Only two opinions? Although, I think I have an idea of what I'll do know it's too bad I didn't get a bit more feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played The Shadow Vault (with the heroes) and I didn't like it that much. The Overlord Revealed seems like a lot more fun, but I have no experience actually playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Vargen666 wrote:
I've only played The Shadow Vault (with the heroes) and I didn't like it that much. The Overlord Revealed seems like a lot more fun, but I have no experience actually playing it.

What didn't you like about The Shadow Vault?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took too long for what it is: A big hog-down with monsters trying to block the heroes on a long-stretched map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not done the Overlord Revealed yet, but I absolutely hated The Shdaow Vault. It felt long, slow, and very repetitive. I did it once in an actual game as the heroes, and once in a simulate game, and both times it took a ridiculous amount of time, and wasn't very interesting at all. I can't imagine it's much better for the overlord either, as their strategy for this map should be very straightforward: Blockade the heroes and KO whichever one has the Shadow Rune.

Of the scenarios I've played, I'd say it's probably the worst. I had more fun with the opening scenario, which so many people choose to just skip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.