Subject: Beanstalk Royalties vs. Subliminal Messaging in GRNDL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the fact that GRNDL doesn't gain anything special from Beanstalk, and you only have room for one of them, what would you prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Prahl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say beanstalk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the deck. Do you think you will have the chance to play 4 times the subliminal? Do you plan for a loooong game with huge ice? If so, go subliminal (although it goes a bit against the spirit of grndl). Do you need burst and quick econ? Go beanstalk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the chance to play Subliminal, but it looks pretty good on paper. It only takes one return to HQ to match BSR in terms of efficiency, and that's a small tradeoff. Obviously BSR is better later in the game, where you're less likely you'll get that extra 1, bit maybe that's worh the trade.

I think in a month as we get a chance to test, we'll see how often those worst case scenarios come up and of the higher top end is worth that potential 1c tradeoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
In the GRNDL deck I'm testing, I'm leaning towards both. GRNDL needs to always, always have an economic lead on the Runner. You never want to fall behind. So you want all the money you can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deny Everything
msg tools
kroen wrote:
Given the fact that GRNDL doesn't gain anything special from Beanstalk, and you only have room for one of them, what would you prefer?

Beanstalk. Subliminal is maybe above PAD campaign, I would definitely go for Beanstalk over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 18 games (and won a Store Championship) with GRNDL now and did a variety of testing with Beanstalk Royalties and Subliminal Messaging in and out of the deck. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd choose Subliminal Messaging. However, I found three copies of Subliminal Messaging to be a bit redundant and two copies seems to be the sweet spot, so I'm actually running two copies of both Subliminal Messaging and Beanstalk Royalties at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Lysford
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Messaging is probably better even for slow games; since I'm trying to muscle through agendas with GRNDL, 1c for 0 clicks is probably better than 3c for 1 click. It's one of the biggest rules for corp - in a turn where you're doing ANYTHING with agendas, it's probably ALL you're doing. You want to have a high proportion of those turns as GRNDL, so clickless econ is great. Once again, looking at "efficiency" is kind of missing the story, in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put your trust in FFG's balancing, 1 free influence is better than neutral

Just kidding

SM is more variable than Beanstalk, sure 1 return to HQ equals it to beanstalk, but subsequent draws are always equal.

Question is do you need money now or money later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just won a store championship with GRNDL and was running 3 beanstalk.

That said, I could see the value of Subminal. For pure credit generation, I think that beanstalk is superior - credits now are always more valuable than credits later. That said, If you want to encourage the runner to run so you can flatline, I could see subliminal. I'll probably give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hamner
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
Subliminal Messaging is most effective when the runner is afraid to run... when is the runner afraid to run? When you are running a flatline deck that is sitting on a big pile of credits. Burst economy is much better at getting you to that giant pile than drip economy is... especially since when you are poor is exactly when SM is least effective, since the runner can run with impunity.

The SM's in addition to 3x Beanstalks, on the other hand, might be really good at keeping you loaded with credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.