Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: (WIP) The Sitting Duckling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This is a grade 7 class project

The Sitting Duckling is a deduction based board game about a six person dinner party where one of the people is a detective and one of them is a murderer.

Players: Two.

Time: 10min to 20min.

Components:
One Sitting Duckling Board
One list of people and rooms
One sound order list
One murderer turn sheet
One detective turn sheet

Gameplay:

Goal:
If you are the murderer your goal is to get away with the murder either by
distracting the detective or rolling doubles to escape the house.
If you are the detective your goal is to find out who was murdered and in what room they were killed, you can do this by hearing clues or by rolling doubles to get untied.

Turns:
Each player has a turn card and on each turn the detective can hear a sound or roll to try and get out of the chair. On each turn the murderer can make a fake sound (to be given with the real sound when the detective asks for a sound) or roll to try and get out of the house.

The Board:

The people and rooms sheet:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be very easy to roll doubles and then your game would be over quickly. Is there another way you can think of to have people roll dice and accomplish things in the game?

Maybe there are three dice and all of them have to match and cards you play can add +1 or -1 to any one die face to help

I do like very much that you are working with sounds. Not many games use the difference senses we have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this about three times now, and I think I just figured it out.

It is a 2-player game!
... yeah, call me dense. But I got distracted by the "six-person" description.

So, I'm going to suggest changing the male/female part, and making it pairs or trios of similar animal noises instead. Like Chicken/Duck/Turkey and Sheep/Goat/Giraffe...

and yeah, imagine those animals making gurgling, screaming, or choking noises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on posting a game here! It is a very brave thing to put so much of yourself out into the public realm!

I agree with Todd - you would be amazed how often doubles come up when rolling two dice.

You might want to check out Nuns on the Run, which is a game where people aren't murderers... but they are sneaking around a board and can place real or false sounds. The goal for most players is to make it to their secret desires and then back to their rooms without getting caught by the nuns. Meanwhile, the nuns have to catch a certain number of novices (based on how many people are playing). It sounds similar to what you are doing - with the addition of finding an item.

Some Questions:

d10-1 Is there a way to escape the house without rolling doubles? Perhaps a certain room that the murderer has to get to?

d10-2 Is there only one person killed during a game - or was the person killed before the game starts?

d10-3 What about the other people in the house? Do they move around?

d10-4 If the detective starts the game tied to a chair, why does the detective also need to be distracted?

d10-5 What happens when the detective makes it out of his chair? Can he move around the house? Why would he want to? (Is this how he discovers where the murder took place?)

I look forward to reading the rules when they are posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you for taking the time to look at my game.

I told Todd this (and I'm a bit confused sbout where the comment went) rolling doubles is actually very hard and in my play testing I have found that chosing to roll dice slows the game down. There is a one in six chance of rolling doubles so with seven chances to roll and three doubles needed it is really hard to escape. I am not happy with the dice myself though and I'm looking at an alternative way to give people choices in the game.

The murder is happening while you are in the house and takes diffrent amounts of time depending on how many clues you need to figure it out.

The only people in the house are the detective, the victim, and the killer, it's the end of the night and everyone else has left the party.

It helps the murderer to distract the detective beacause it can be very easy to figure out the murder when the detective is only getting real sounds, so when you give the detective fake sounds as well it makes it harder and more fun.

When the detcetive makes it out of the chair they win because they can walk around and see what happend. If the detective gets out of the chair the murderer has to tell them what happend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering my questions!

MisterKuClass wrote:
I told Todd this (and I'm a bit confused sbout where the comment went) rolling doubles is actually very hard and in my play testing I have found that chosing to roll dice slows the game down. There is a one in six chance of rolling doubles so with seven chances to roll and three doubles needed it is really hard to escape. I am not happy with the dice myself though and I'm looking at an alternative way to give people choices in the game.

Ah, but we didn't know you needed three doubles from what you had posted here. It just says: "rolling doubles to escape the house" and not how many doubles are needed.

MisterKuClass wrote:
The murder is happening while you are in the house and takes diffrent amounts of time depending on how many clues you need to figure it out.

If the murder is happening during the game - who controls the victim? Or is the place of death predetermined by the murderer before the game starts?

MisterKuClass wrote:
It helps the murderer to distract the detective beacause it can be very easy to figure out the murder when the detective is only getting real sounds, so when you give the detective fake sounds as well it makes it harder and more fun.

OK, this makes more sense now - the detective has awesome hearing and is listening to what is going on, even though he can't physically investigate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No one controls the victim, they always die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I figured the victim always died.

I was wondering, if the victim is alive at the start of the game, how is the victim killed by the murderer? And I'm not asking about what type of weapon is used in the murder.

I was wondering more along these lines:

Where does the victim start in the game? Is this room the same each game, or different?

Does the murderer know how they kill the victim from the start of the game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.