Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custon Villain Development - Emeperor Evile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kingofsouls master of the 27 skies and a generally good lookin guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
hello all. Thanks to the Cauldron i think i wanna try my hand as custom stuff for SOTM. To wit, i think I will start with a Villain: The Evil Emperor of Evil Evile.

I was hoping a few of you more savvy people here could give me a hand.

Mechaniclly, Evile works a bit like the Chairman: He mostly attacks by summoning minions of his army. However, unlike the Chairman Evile has powerful defensive magic. In short, he cannot be hurt (usually). In order to get him to flip and thus hurt him, you must KP his right hand, the Black One, a character card (like teh Operative) who does most of Eviles damage output.

I wanted this mechanic to have something special to hit, so I want to have Evile's deck have several ways to revive Black One.

So, right now, is that a good concept?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I've tried a couple of custom villains that do the "can't hurt me except in a few special rounds when I'm vulnerable" thing, and it usually ends up with the heroes going nova against the villain when they do become vulnerable. That's obviously easier with certain heroes (hello Tachyon) than others, but most teams have some sort of relevant abilities to help with that.

It will be difficult for Evile to survive long enough after the Black One's death to find a way to revive the Black One.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was thiNking some of his cards to either revive her outright or just speed the process up.

I wanted the theme of an invincible villain, but gameplay wise it's not fun so I had to have some way to put the shields down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Ward
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use the villain character cards for this - set him to immune on his primary side and vulnerable on the flip side, but have the flip side revive the Black One. And this way it doesn't take up any additional cards.

Here's a rough example:

Primary side - "Invulnerable Emperor"

Setup - Search the villain deck for Black One, put it into play, shuffle the villain deck.

The Evil Emperor of Evil Evile is immune to damage.

Whenever Black One leaves play, flip Evile's character cards.

Flip side - "Vulnerable Pussycat"

At the end of the villain turn, search the villain trash and deck for Black One. Put it into play, flip Evile's character cards.

The omission of the immune condition gives the heroes basically one round or part of a round to unload on the villain before he becomes immune again.

If you want the vulnerability to last more than one turn you could build the condition on the flip side to read something like this:

At the start of the villain turn place the top card of the environment deck under this card.

At the end of the environment turn, if there are 3 or more cards under this card, search the villain trash and deck for Black One. Put it into play, flip Evile's character cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Huh. My idea was a bit different. Here is a rough draft of what I had in mind, though yours has merit.

Emperor Evile - Evil Emperor Of Evil - 50 HP
Set up:
Place Emperor Evile, Evil Empror of Evil side up. Place Black One, Loyal Right Hand side up.
Game Play:
Emperor Evile is immune to damage.
During the End of the Villain Turn, play the top card of the villain Deck.
If the Black One is Incapacitated, flip Emperor Evile.
Advanced
During the end of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck.

Emperor Evile - Towering Juggernaught - 50 HP
Game Play:
At the end of the villain turn, deal H-1 melee damage to the hero with the highest HP.
Reduce damage dealt to Evile by 1.
If the Black One is Not Incapacitated, flip Emperor Evile.
Advanced:
At the end of the villain turn, each villain target restores 1 HP, and put 1 black counter on Black one.

The Black One - Loyal Right Hand - 20 HP
Set up:
Place Black One, Loyal Right Hand side up.
Game Play:
At the end of the villain turn, Black One deals H-2 damage to the hero with the highest HP.
When Black One is defeated, flip her.
Game Play:
Increase damage dealt by Black One by 1.

The Black One - Incapacitated
Set up:
At the start of the villain turn, put a black counter on Black One. Then if there are H or more black counters on Black One, remove them all, flip her, and restore 2 HP for each counter removed.
Advanced: At the End of Villain turn, put one black counter on Black One.

Flavor wise, Black One is Evile's right hand: He won't fight until she can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like another villain super vulnerable to savage mana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Easy way to solve that, make her indestructible, then add:
When the black one is reduced to 0 or lower health flip her card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Huh, I think I have a better Black One.

The Black One - Loyal Right Hand - 20 HP
Set up:
Place Black One, Loyal Right Hand side up.
Game Play:
Black One is indestructible.
When Black One flips to this side, she restores H*2 HP.
At the end of the villain turn, Black One deals H-2 damage to the hero with the highest HP.
When Black One is reduced to 0 or less HP, flip her.
Advanced:
Increase damage dealt by Black One by 1.

The Black One - Incapacitated
Game Play:
At the start of the villain turn, put a black counter on Black One. Then if there are three or more counters on Black one, flip her.
Advanced: Whenever Black One gains a black counter, flip her.

SSJ3Godzilla wrote:
Sounds like another villain super vulnerable to savage mana.

Probably, depend on how minion intensive I make him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I've got a draft of a very similar villain, where there's a main villain and a sidekick villain, the sidekick villain makes the main villain invul. The sidekick villain has high dmg output, the main villain has lots of trickery.

I've also got two seperate decks for the two characters, and the heroes can choose which deck to draw from, but they can't choose the same one three times in a row. Both decks have several cards that allow each others' deck to play a card.

When the sidekick villain dies, cards can only be played from the main villain's deck, and they play an extra card each turn. With only 12 cards in that deck, and two cards a turn going out, it will probably flip back again quickly.

The "bring the sidekick villain" back out card also heals the sidekick villain to full health if he's already out. The sidekick has 40 health tho, perhaps even a bit high, I haven't playtested this one at all yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.