• [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emirates of Hacan, Clan of Saar, Barony of Letnev, Menatk Coalition (w/Mirror Computing); those are my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
Jol-Nar start with Sarween Tools and can get Micro and Nano right away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
How does nekro fare in a resource poor galaxy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Armentia
Spain
flag msg tools
Zeromage wrote:
How does nekro fare in a resource poor galaxy?

Immediately attack anyone who has just researched transfabrication, sarween tools, micro technology, neural computing, mirror computing (Mentak), production centers (Hacan), electro-resonance turbines (Jol-Nar), bioptic recyclers (Winnu), magmus reactor (Muaat)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium Junker wrote:
Barony not so much...

I'll have to disagree here. Barony have the richest home system in the game, and its high production capacity lets them churn out a fully loaded Carrier in a single build.

The dreadnoughts with Duranium Armor, Non-Euclidean Shielding, and Flagship is a certainly powerful and splashy force to behold, but it is far less practical than going with the Fighter/small ship route with the Barony. Their increased fleet supply will also be very helpful in a barren galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
IncrediSteve wrote:
Their increased fleet supply will also be very helpful in a barren galaxy.

I'd rather have increased fleet supply in a rich galaxy, where one can build many large fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barren means less resources, and less influence. Less influence means less Command Counters. Having one more in fleet supply, that you don't have to buy and put there, is relevant when everyone else is poor too. It also means you can rearrange it to command during the first status phase if need be. Every ounce counts when the galaxy is a wasteland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
IncrediSteve wrote:
Barren means less resources, and less influence. Less influence means less Command Counters. Having one more in fleet supply, that you don't have to buy and put there, is relevant when everyone else is poor too. It also means you can rearrange it to command during the first status phase if need be. Every ounce counts when the galaxy is a wasteland.

Not really. Less influence means less income of Command Counters; the Letnev's bonus in Fleet Supply is an increase in their capital, not their income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. And during the 1st status phase, you can rearrange your command counters. You can then go down to 2 CC in Fleet Supply, and still be on par with everyone else at 3 ships per system. Having an extra action in a famine galaxy is huge.

In a hypothetical board state where there are 0 resources outside of home systems, the Barony have a distinct advantage. The Barony's racial powers may not be very splashy, but 6 resources goes a long way.

This isn't just theory-crafting either, I've played in wasteland galaxies on several occasions, as they are a blast. The Barony does well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
IncrediSteve wrote:
This isn't just theory-crafting either, I've played in wasteland galaxies on several occasions, as they are a blast. The Barony does well.

I imagine so; but I think that has far more to do with their superior income in their home system, which obviously counts for more the more barren the galaxy is, than for a one-off increase in capital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
Emirates of Hacan, Clan of Saar, Barony of Letnev, Menatk Coalition (w/Mirror Computing); those are my thoughts.

I have a feeling that the Hacan situation now is not always applies.
2 factors two consider IMHO are
1.) What trade card we playing with
2.) Who are opponents.

If we playing with Trade 3 and there is no other races present with Trade Agreements of Value 3 - all of the sudden giving trade 3 agreement and getting back 2 is actually not that great.
There is no no more penalty for not picking up Trade card so in this situation Hacan is getting as much as his trade opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:
and there is no other races present with Trade Agreements of Value 3 - all of the sudden giving trade 3 agreement and getting back 2 is actually not that great.

This is the normal situation anyway. Outside Hacan there is typically 1x 3 and a few 2's and a few 1's around the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
garfielder wrote:
and there is no other races present with Trade Agreements of Value 3 - all of the sudden giving trade 3 agreement and getting back 2 is actually not that great.

This is the normal situation anyway. Outside Hacan there is typically 1x 3 and a few 2's and a few 1's around the table.

True but if you are playing with Trade II - it sort of compensate by giving everyone else -1 (except person actually playing it and hacan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Straight up - it's the races with the highest number of resources in their HS.

First Letnev
Then L1Z1X
Then Mentak/Sol/Nekro, anyone else with 4, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely go for the Mentak arrrh ninja :

1. They can steal TGs with their racial ability
2. Their racial abilities produce and make them much more valuable, Salvage Operation plus Mirror Computing plus one Destroyer creates 4 resources / influence for 1 Res and 1 CC and you can use this multiple times per round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.