Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how the Equinox's ability stacks up to other forms of defense. Here's the text:

Equinox's ship ability wrote:
Action: Disable 1 of your Active Shields. During the End Phase this round, repair all of your damaged Shields.

In a way I'm viewing it as granting 3 temporary hitpoints; or as 3 built-in evades, cuz those shields are coming back. However... I'm not sure I'm considering it from all angles, so I thought I'd ask.

How does it stack up with Data or Sulu? Either mechanically or mathematically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Cassiel33 wrote:
I'm curious how the Equinox's ability stacks up to other forms of defense. Here's the text:
Action: Disable 1 of your Active Shields. During the End Phase this round, repair all of your damaged Shields.

In a way I'm viewing it as granting 3 temporary hitpoints; or as 3 built-in evades, cuz those shields are coming back. However... I'm not sure I'm considering it from all angles, so I thought I'd ask.

I view it as not very good.
Unless I'm missing something, the only time it's going to be beneficial is when the ship has lost one or two shields. Once all three are gone, the ability is lost. So it seems like there's going to be a fairly small window when the ability can be used.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, my numbers were off. Mentally I was adding a flagship to the Equinox, which is where I got "3" temp hitpoints. With just the standard ship, after disabling 1 shield, you'd only have 2 temp hp.

@Kevin-- Very true. When its shields are gone so is its ability. :|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with this ship's ability is that you have to commit to spending an action on it every turn, or you risk losing the ability. If you spend your ship action every turn disabling a shield token, you're going to seriously impare your ability to use the ship for any offensive fleet role. If you're counting on getting out of your opponent's firing arcs often enough to re-enable torpedoes I think you're engaging in wishful thinking at this point with dorsal weapons arrays and federation ships with very generous firing arcs. IMO this ship could work as a support ship, but it's action economy will see it limited to a very minor role in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Evans
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I was trying to compare it to Sulu or Data, which both take an action to use. I figured at least that's apples to apples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Idea: In the first turn of the game, combat almost never happens, so go ahead and use its ability during round one, then don't re-activate the shield until you think you're going to need it. That way, you can't lose your last shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My best attempt to make this ship work:

Equinox (20)
Independent (Dominion) Flagship (10)
Kirk (6)
Cheat Death (3)
Cheat Death (3)
I Stab at Thee (3)
High Energy Sensor Sweep (5)
Spock (5)
Kyle (2)
Quantum torpedoes (6)

Ship SP:63

You end up with a free target lock from the flagship card to use for quantum torpedoes, and a free scan to activate Spock at the cost of disabling another shield, but you can do this without spending an action.
So close to range two or three. Disable a shield with your ship action, and another for a free scan token. Hope you can get a free target lock, and if so fire your quantum torpedoes. Then try to close to range 1 without bumping into anybody. Re-enable quantum torpedoes and try to get destroyed once or twice to activate Stab and Cheat Death. Then next turn bring up your full 4 shields and try to go 4 forward to reach range 2-3 to fire quantums from your rear arc. If you do lose that last shield, Kyle is there to bring it back up. Then if you don't have an additional action to activate the ship's ability that round, you could use high energy sensor sweep to deactivate your one repaired sheild to protect it till the next round. That might actually work pretty well, but I cringe at the thought of spending 63 points on a twenty point ship, especially knowing I have to put it right on the edge of blowing up completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montgomery Scott, Kyle, and/or any crew that repair shields seem like a must-have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be playing mine similar to how I run my Apnex. Basically I will be going after smaller targets on the flank that will not be able to (likely) one shot the Equinox allowing it to restore its shields after the opening attack run.

Without spending a ton of points to buff it I don't think it is a good dreadnaught candidate.... well for now anyway.

At least these are my theories till it shows up anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having to spend the action on the Repair ability means you're not spending the action on using any other defense (like sulu). No matter how much you can regenerate per turn, it doesn't help you if you don't have the defense to survive the round in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like to activate it before getting attacked. The hits kill the sheilds but then they come back nullifying said hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Cassiel33 wrote:

Okay, I reread the ability, and it looks like I've misinterpreted it.
I was thinking that the ability would activate during the activation phase. So it'd be fairly restrictive on how much you'd be able to use it.
Apparently this isn't the case.
This makes it more attractive.
I'm not sure how much, though, as I don't know whether the other stats make the ship worth using.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shrike
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
What do you expect to find behind here, King Kong?
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
Montgomery Scott, Kyle, and/or any crew that repair shields seem like a must-have.

Many times in a game I yell "Kyle! Repair the shields Kyle!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Linton
msg tools
I was testing a build this weekend with Equinox using the independent-dominion flagship for +1 to agility/hull/shields. Had Rudy & Quantums on the ship. Ran Marok8 along side. Getting the action for evade from Martok gave this ship 5 defense dice. Elite Talent slot from flagship was for attack pattern reroll.

I've been using it with strike force, since we are still using AOs locally for now. Usually that's to give Martok a 2nd action, but is also useful for battlestations, or to grab the evade so Martok can let him re-engage Quantum torps.

5 defense dice, 4 hull, and 3 regenerating shields makes it a nice little ship to annoy people with, but if you ever lose out on your actions, expect it to pop. It's basically a cloaked ship with 7 hull points that gets up to 3 back each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cassiel33 wrote:
Oops, my numbers were off. Mentally I was adding a flagship to the Equinox, which is where I got "3" temp hitpoints. With just the standard ship, after disabling 1 shield, you'd only have 2 temp hp.

@Kevin-- Very true. When its shields are gone so is its ability. :|

I would have thought the shields would come back at the end of the turn (repair all your shields).

e.g.
1) I have 3 shields. I take the action, disable one. I now have 2 shields.
2) I take 3 points of damage. 2 points go to shields, damaging them. Third point goes to hull. I now have 2 damaged shields, 1 disabled shield, and one hull damage.
3) End of turn, damaged shields repair and disabled shields come back. I now have 3 shields again.

Not sure that's worth it for the action, but I could see the use if you're expecting to take repeated small hits (OP4, say?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
Cassiel33 wrote:

Okay, I reread the ability, and it looks like I've misinterpreted it.
I was thinking that the ability would activate during the activation phase. So it'd be fairly restrictive on how much you'd be able to use it.
Apparently this isn't the case.
This makes it more attractive.
I'm not sure how much, though, as I don't know whether the other stats make the ship worth using.

Kevin

I made the same mistake and will have to give this "tough little ship" a second look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not big on the ships ability, unless it has kyle on it. I don't think I would spend the points to put O'Brian or Scotty on it. I don't think I would use the ability if I thought anything with 4 or more attacks was shooting at it.

But what I think is great about it is that it gives the federation another 20 point torpedo boat. Its arcs and dial are not as good as the Miranda class, but it does have that coveted tech slot sought by so many federation ships.

The ships ability is nice for the late game when it might be your last ship left and the opponent is left with something of similar stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.