Allan
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

New to the forum but was hoping I may seek some advice, I've also posted this question on BGDF in the hope someone might be able to help point me in the direction of worker placement games that use point-to-point movement or have a modular board?

I've been kicking around an idea and just trying to research similar games that use these mechanics. To help give some context of my head space / where I am coming from... here is the concept so so far.

---
Theme:
Settlers at outposts are preparing for a very long winter

Game Mechanics:
The game is split into 11 actions (months) per round with 10 rounds (years) in total. At the start of each year winter claims another month (i.e. in round 2 there will only be 10 player actions). During the winter months players will instead draw a winter event card.

Setup & Gameplay:
Players start out on their own hex tile (which neighbour each other) with a two workers. On their turn, the player may perform one action, explore and discover a new tile (blind pickup) or if allowed collect the resource from that tile. If the player discovers a new tile that has a winter effect they add respective card to the winter event deck.

When a worker moves to a tile they will leave footprints (creating a trail of the workers journey from their outpost, the only time tracks do not change is if it breaks a trail back to an outpost).

In the winter months, players instead pick up a winter event card. These cards may either require you to use resources to stay warm, fed, fight illness or they may spawn a creeper on specific winter event tiles. These creepers will then move one tile per winter month, following the tracks left by the workers to outposts.

Game Goal:
To upgrade your settlement and survive the winter with the most victory points.
---

That's it in a nutshell, any games you can think of which use similar theme or mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark

I haven't played it yet, but I think this is a close match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower has elements of all of that. You must move resources in order to upgrade buildings, which are assembled modularity, and use the buildings like a worker placement.
This sounds like an interesting start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Mills
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I'm also very interested in examples. My entry into the 2P PnP contest involves lumberjacks cutting down tress then dragging them to the river along with going into town, etc.

I almost bought Keyflower at Unpub 4 but didn't, should have I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
Keyflower has elements of all of that. You must move resources in order to upgrade buildings, which are assembled modularity, and use the buildings like a worker placement.
This sounds like an interesting start

Glen More uses the same, activation based movement and makes you think about expansion because of the adjacency rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mb
Cheers guys they are great examples and really appreciated!
For other/future readers I've also found an older similar thread with some more suggestions Tile Based - Exploration - Worker Placement Balancing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Mills
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Nice Find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaJMills wrote:
I almost bought Keyflower at Unpub 4 but didn't, should have I?

I can't say yet. I've yet to have a successful play of it. I am really intrigued by it, but most of the people I thought would like it haven't been impressed yet.

Glen More is a great recommendation. I have that, too, so I guess I know what types of games I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.