United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I play WIFOM with empty glasses
badge
Viking's Law: Anything that can go wrong, *SHOULD*
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought this game, and I finally brought it to the table for the first time tonight. This was with my game group, which had previously tried it out over a year ago and decided they disliked it. Now that I have a much better grounding in game strategy, I was optimistic that I could convince them about how amazing the game is.

We played several games, slowly introducing different roles and they were liking it. One player appointed himself chart-maker and started tracking all proposals, votes, and mission results. Finally, it was getting late, so we were ready for one last game.

Six-players: Merlin/Assassin with Percy, Morgana, and Excalibur.

Player order:
Me, Jack, Brian, Anna, Colin, and Thad

M1: Brian ends up sending M1.3 with Jack (with Excalibur) and Thad. Excalibur is not used, and two successes show up. Hooray!

M2: A lot of down-voting, I end up sending myself, Brian (with Excalibur), and Anna. Again, Excalibur is not used, and the mission comes back all passes. Strange, because that means that at least one spy has thrown a pass, but we're ahead by two, so we're not too worried!

M3: Thad and Colin have been acting very suspicious, whispering a bit to each other and calling each other rebels very strongly, with Thad saying that Anna is definitely a spy. We decide this means Thad and Colin are the spies, add Jack to the M2 team, give Brian the sword, and wait for the victory march! Except there's a fail...

M4: Lots and lots of conversation later, we decide that maybe Brian and Anna really are spies. Colin ends up proposing himself, me, and Jack with the sword. Thad gives it the up-vote and sends it through. Colin promises that he's confident in this mission, and Jack should not use the sword because he's throwing a pass. No sword, and the mission fails.

M5: This mission has to be perfect. After a lot of discussion (and down-votes), Brian quietly realizes that Thad and Colin must be Merlin and Percy, and they are adamant about not sending Joe or Anna. Brian agrees, gives me the sword, we vote it up, and we put our cards in. I don't use the sword, and we see... TWO fails? Thad and Brian are shocked as Colin and I reach across and high-five. Yep, I was the assassin and Colin was Morgana.

In conclusion, this had game started off horribly for the spies, with a clueless Resistance member (Brian) sending Merlin (Jack) and another resistance member (Thad). By the end, though, we managed to get both spies on the final mission. Colin played amazingly well, originally telling Thad he was Merlin, making the real Merlin's job really hard. Which was really lucky, since we spies played almost the entire game certain that Anna (Percy) was Merlin.

I was also pleased to see Colin coordinating the M4 fail with me, with no one the wiser (I had not explained any coordination strategies with them, because I like to let it happen organically). I think they'll be more watchful about coordination in the future.

Also, this was sort-of the first game where I managed to throw three fails over the course of the game. I have a sinking feeling they'll be a lot less likely to trust me in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice session report, but on the wrong game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from The Resistance to The Resistance: Avalon

Good write up - thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.