Popular Tags: [View All]
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should impulse-driven systems like this one and Conflict of Heroes have some kind of rule for ending the turn other than both players passing? This is quite common in impulse-driven games (World in Flames the board game and Battle of the Bulge/Drive on Moscow for iPad comes to mind). I think there should be a high chance the turn ends once one player has spent most of his units. To avoid a smaller defender spending units just to end the turn, maybe it should be based on how many of the attackers units is spent. The reason for having a rule like this is to avoid the tactic of just passing to save all your actions for when the other side is completely spent. I don't like the fact that the defender can just skip shooting now, because he knows he's got plenty of time later. I don't know what the probability should be, but I think the probability of ending the turn should be very low until the attacker has spent most of his units, then it should be high. If the defender has spent his time passing, he may have wasted his turn.

On the other hand, I haven't experienced this problem yet, but I have only played the PC game against the AI. Do human players exploit this possibility of passing until all the attackers units are spent, or does the attacker usually succeed in forcing the defender to activate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One such system is the "Fog of War" system in panzer grenadier. After the third impulse (per side) is completed, 3d6 are rolled. 16 or above means the turn is over. It forces you to prioritize your movements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Scenarios are designed, balanced and playtested with this tactic in mind. The attacking player often has a surplus of units with which to force the defender's hand by drawing their fire or spotting them so they're opened up to attack. Remember that LnL also allows units to attempt to "spot" a hex where are units are concealed by blocking/degrading terrain. A unit that is attacked and shaken before it acts in a turn has essentially wasted its impulse.

That's a risk the defender takes in employing this tactic -- it's incumbent on the attacker to exact the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:
Scenarios are designed, balanced and playtested with this tactic in mind. The attacking player often has a surplus of units with which to force the defender's hand by drawing their fire or spotting them so they're opened up to attack. Remember that LnL also allows units to attempt to "spot" a hex where are units are concealed by blocking/degrading terrain. A unit that is attacked and shaken before it acts in a turn has essentially wasted its impulse.

That's a risk the defender takes in employing this tactic -- it's incumbent on the attacker to exact the price.

Yes, from the PC game I have the impression that the scenarios are very well balanced and that this is not a problem, and I would expect the same from the board games. I think it may be a bigger problem in Conflict of Heroes, since you usually start further apart, and it's often hard to hit someone. In Lock'n Load it's often a big threat when someone moves a single hex. Very often you're so close to the opponent, you can move into melee in a single turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
Do human players exploit this possibility of passing until all the attackers units are spent, or does the attacker usually succeed in forcing the defender to activate?

Depends GREATLY on your opponent's patience. If I'm playing defense I can sit there forever and pass all day. It's my opponent's burden to move the game along and they have sufficient troops to have a shot at doing so. Giving away your position needlessly in LnL is a huge mistake.

Yea, its not the glorious "Give'em Hell" fighting style, but you always have to keep the specific goal in mind. Metaphorically speaking, this is as important in wargaming as it is in real life combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.