Popular Tags: [View All]
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious where this will end up, feel free to comment below...

Poll
Which game mode do you prefer Classic or Standard?
I've played both & strongly prefer Classic
Maybe I have or haven't read the Standard rules but I haven't played Standard (and likely won't) & strongly prefer Classic
I've played both & strongly prefer Standard
Maybe I have or haven't read the Classic rules but I haven't played Classic (and likely won't) & strongly prefer Standard
I've played both and am happy to play either depending on the number & type of players (gamers or non gamers)
      111 answers
Poll created by Salimo

Edit: I'm aware of a previous similar poll. I'm wanting a refresh as time has passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the 30 turns of the "Standard" game last 3-4 hours, I can't help shaking the feeling that unless I am flying somewhere different each turn I am wasting my time.

In "Classic" you don't feel rushed, and can spend that extra turn doing sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly dislike the randomising elements of the Standard game. I also like the way that Classic is an uncluttered race game. My preference is to focus on choosing the right routes and buying the right ship to run those routes. I guess it's strategic vs. thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that we've already had this poll here:
Poll: Classic vs. Standard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
But there may be new players and players who have played more games of either/both types and may have revised their opinion. The poll you reference is over a year ago, in the year the game was published. After all, most of us have elections every few years, rather than take a snapshot and call it done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
SD40 wrote:
But there may be new players and players who have played more games of either/both types and may have revised their opinion. The poll you reference is over a year ago, in the year the game was published. After all, most of us have elections every few years, rather than take a snapshot and call it done

Yes, thanks. Maybe I should have noted that I'm aware of the older poll but wanted to refresh...OP has been edited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McConnell
United States
Sweeny
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played the older editions of the game. When FFG came out with their version I jumped on it. We played the standard game pretty much out of the gate assuming it was the old version but fixed and made better.

Then a month or so ago we decided to just give classic a try and OH MY GOD. We enjoyed it so much more. We've been playing it so much lately that the board has actually ripped into 3 pieces. (On a side note I hate the way FFG has been making their folding board lately. It's only a matter of time before the Relic board suffers the same fate.)But we pinpointed why we like the Classic version more to these reasons.

1. No Turn Track. The last 5-10 turns were the most stress inducing part because you never knew if you would be able to risk making that last profit run or even make it in time to cash in your cargo before time ran out. Often time's nothing even happened on the last 1-4 turns.

2. No more extra stuff. Between the Fame points, Infamy, Pirates, Encounter cards, race techs, hazard checks, relics, and market changes, it didn't seem overwhelming until we tried Classic. Then we were like, why was all that stuff even there, it just made the game more convoluted.

3. Strategy is now much more important. In the standard game, it was really hard to plan ahead and fixate on a strategy until most of the races were revealed, which sometimes could be as late as turn 15. Luck played a much bigger role. In Classic though, you can plan ahead pretty well and adjust the plan with minimal consequence.

I'll give an example here; I wanted to try and pretty much win with just drilling asteroids. The optimal way to do this would be to play as the Wall-E's, get a drilling licence early, get to pilot level 3 asap, and get the Drill Baron encounter card, this is almost impossible to plan for. The only strategy that was possible in Standard that almost isn't in Classic, is the Passengers. With the bonus cup system, they are never guaranteed to come around at all, so it's not safe to plan for being a galactic taxi cab.

TL : DR - Classic Game has more strategy and less stress, but also less variety of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two standard so far and finally got around to classic tonight. (after not playing for over 20 years)

Yeah...I agree with everything Jason says. My son (who had never played classic) couldn't believe how much more he liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To parrot what others have said, I had only played standard until a few days ago. The game hit the table a few time over the past year. We tried classic out of curiosity this past Sunday and enjoyed it so much we immediately set up to play again and have played 3 more times this week. Classic is just a cleaner more rewarding experience all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.