Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I loved the new world they went in with but outside of the release, it seems this world is a desert now. With nothing on the horizon.

Any word on more expansions? It would make no sense to not finish this world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always got the impression this was more of a one-shot. Given that it should be comparable with all the other Thunderstone expansions, the world is what you make of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was always a crossover, not a main thrust for Thunderstone. While this didn't mean no chance of an expansion in the Numenera universe, it was not a very likely outcome.

The Thunderstone universe is a separate one and considering that Advance only has a couple of expansions thus far (with one coming soon), it makes more sense for AEG to build up the core universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickon V
United States
Dover Foxcroft
Maine
flag msg tools
AEG posted an article called A Deeper Look at Numenara that talked about the design decisions in making the game.

"The end result is a fantastic game that adds a lot of unique strategies and interesting foes and plays excellently as a stand-alone game or blends seamlessly into the Thunderstone Advance line. We on the design team are very proud of what we did with Numenera and are excited about what comes next for fans of the game."

I hope that last sentence is hinting there may be more expansions coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Not here!
mb
Although I cannot remember it word-for-word, the short and halting introduction story in the game manual said something about this "universe" being part of the player's / main character's dream, and though this is an attempt from the designers to incorporate this scifi-ish world with that of the original Thunderstone, I'm also guessing it is a telltale that he will not stay permanently in this place, but rather return to the medieval fantasy setting typical to the game.

My interpretation, at least ;)

Sam Ferdinand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thing is, the PnP RPG for Numenera was a little thing, and this was a nice tie in. But Obsidian are doing a video game, Torment: Tides of Numenera, that's huge, but has been pushed back to 2015.

I'd be genuinely surprised if we didn't get a reprint and expansion when the videogame comes out, or even a new base box focusing on characters from the game. But releasing something this year would be counter-productive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
:shrug: I didn't buy it for the RPG plug in. I wasn't even aware of the RPG at the time I bought it. I bought it mostly because it was the latest Thunderstone Advance product at the time. A simultaneous video game release wouldn't sway any one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
:shrug: I didn't buy it for the RPG plug in. I wasn't even aware of the RPG at the time I bought it. I bought it mostly because it was the latest Thunderstone Advance product at the time. A simultaneous video game release wouldn't sway any one way or the other.

I don't think you are in the majority on this though. I didn't buy it specifically because it isn't in the Thunderstone universe and while I know it has some nice mechanics, I already have a ton of cards within the fantasy theme.

That being said, I'm not sure a video game tie-in would matter much to AEG doing another game. In fact, I'd see it more likely to be a completely different game (and most likely not done by AEG), if there is any video game tie-in board game released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, you went in with more knowledge than I did. I thought Numenaria was just the next Thunderstone product. I knew it was set in a different world with a different flavor, but I thought it was was continuing from the next adventure/cycle/story and starting a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
flyingtable83 wrote:
That being said, I'm not sure a video game tie-in would matter much to AEG doing another game. In fact, I'd see it more likely to be a completely different game (and most likely not done by AEG), if there is any video game tie-in board game released.

If they want money I can see them doing something. The RPG had 5,000 backers, the video game had 75,000. The Thunderstone tie-in had to come out in the release window for the RPG as it was one of the rewards from the Kickstarter, but if I was AEG and was in any way thinking of doing an expansion or a second push for Thunderstone Numenera, I'd be waiting until the release window for the video game and capitalizing on all that free publicity.

I'm not saying that means it will definitely happen, I don't even know the rights situation and if AEG even have rights to do an expansion, or use any of the game items or characters in it. All I'm saying is that if they do have those rights, doing anything with them now is pretty pointless, given they can release something in early 2015 and get loads of free publicity instead.

All that is to say, I wouldn't take AEG's failure to announce anything new with the Numenera setting in the past year as a sign either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I question whether AEG will have those rights (or be chosen to do a game) and whether the game will be an expansion to the deck-builder, is that while the PC game is set in the world of Numenera, it's also a Torment game. I would assume that it was the Torment part of the name that got a lot of people's attention, not the Numenera, so a new product line would make a lot more sense.

But AEG might still do an expansion set in Numenera. I agree it probably wouldn't happen until the release of the PC game, although by then it would have been a couple years between releases.

Even though I did not buy the Numenera base, I would have no issue with AEG supporting that world further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to guess that if two years pass before another Numenera set, it won't be an expansion, but another base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
rogue148 wrote:
I'd have to guess that if two years pass before another Numenera set, it won't be an expansion, but another base game.

I don't know, I don't think the base set has sold that well, so directly competing with it might be unwise.

AEG are likely to do /something/ around the release of the computer game, but that might well just be a renewed marketing push for the existing set. But an expansion would be a way to help with doing that and get a lot more press coverage. Even if it wasn't directly game related.

eg - Fantasy Flight might not (I genuinely don't know) have the rights to stuff that will appear in the new Star Wars films. But you can be absolutely sure that they'll line-up big X-Wing and TCG releases to coincide with the new movie, regardless of if they're real movie tie-ins or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no expansion planned, it does beg the question: why such a big empty box? Just to house the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a core set, so there would be room for putting small expansions. Numenera is compatible with the non-core sets of TS:A, which all come in more tightly packed boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flyingtable83 wrote:
It's a core set, so there would be room for putting small expansions. Numenera is compatible with the non-core sets of TS:A, which all come in more tightly packed boxes.

I understand what you're saying, but the only small-box Advance set so far is the basic set. It just strikes me that it would have been more appropriately housed in a small box.

Or, perhaps, it gives hope for a future expansion or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general they're pretty tight-lipped about future plans for the series, so no news doesn't necessarily does not mean there is nothing planned. (But it also doesn't mean that there *is* either.)

I would personally like to see more TS Numenera. Whether that will happen almost certainly depends on the sales of the original and if the license holders are amenable to more being made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
flyingtable83 wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but the only small-box Advance set so far is the basic set. It just strikes me that it would have been more appropriately housed in a small box.

Or, perhaps, it gives hope for a future expansion or two.

Both expansion sets were also small-box. Only the core sets have been large boxes with lots of room for additional cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flyingtable83 wrote:

Both expansion sets were also small-box. Only the core sets have been large boxes with lots of room for additional cards.

Yup, you're right. It's my memory that is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Groeneveld
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I love the artworkstyle of Numenera, MOAR MOAR!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.