Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, Gryfalia’s Aerie hosted 25 players for our Store Championship. It was a mixed bag from around the region, with about half local players, with substantial representation from nearby metas in Springfield and Champaign/Urbana.

Nearly half the field was Criminal and Weyland, but surprisingly only 1 Andromeda.
• 11 Gabriel Santiago
• 8 Kate “Mac” McCaffrey
• 2 Noise
• 2 Reina Roja
• 1 Andromeda
• 1 Chaos Theory

• 7 Building a Better World
• 5 Engineering the Future
• 4 GRNDL
• 3 Cerebral Imaging
• 3 Making News
• 1 Because We Built It
• 1 NEXT Design
• 1 Personal Evolution

It was not a good day to be a runner, with a total of 58 corp side wins to 38 runner wins; and two ties. At least 11 flatlines were reported, though some may have been missed.
Criminal had the strongest overall success, taking 21 of the runner side wins. The Andromeda player had 2 corp side wins, with the rest going to Gabe. Shaper had 14 wins, with Chaos Theory earning only 1 win and 1 tie. Noise decks won only 2 games, and the Reina players had only 1 win between them.

Weyland won 26 games, 17 by BABW and 9 by GRNDL. HB performed solidly with 12 ETF wins and 9 CI wins, but NEXT design only scored one win. NBN won 8 games, and Jinteki had 2 corp side wins.

After four rounds with only 2 dropouts, we cut to a top 4:
• Jacky Lam: 11 Prestige; Chaos Theory/Making News
• Will Schoenoff: 12 Prestige; Kate “Mac” McCaffrey/Engineering the Future
• Will Sager: 13 Prestige; Gabriel Santiago/GRNDL
• Justin Leisner: 16 Prestige; Gabriel Santiago/Cerebral Imaging

Justin’s undefeated Blackguard/Snitch decks and Cerebral Imaging Fast Advance decks proved too much for Jacky, while Will’s Katman and ETF FA outraced will’s ability to find key pieces of his rig.

The final match was extremely close, with both Will and Justin scoring 4 points on the runner side, necessitating a 3rd round for tiebreaker. Justin chose to run, as he felt that Will’s Maker’s Eyes and R&D Interfaces were a threat to be avoided. This proved decisive: through a combination of forcing Will to rez ice with Snitch and Blackguard, Account Siphoning, and then derezzing ice with Emergency Shutdowns, Justin was able to keep Will from amassing enough credits to make good use of his Biotic Labors or SanSan City grids, and clinch the win.

By all reports, a good time was had by all, and I saw a lot of really strong play and I have high hopes that our meta will make a name for itself in upcoming Store Championships and Regionals.

Justin's Decklists, published with agreement:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core Set)

Event (20)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Inside Job (Core Set)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Infiltration (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) •••
1x Running Interference (Mala Tempora)

Hardware (2)
2x Blackguard (Fear and Loathing)

Resource (11)
1x Crash Space (Core Set)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Mr. Li (Future Proof)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (4)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Yog.0 (Core Set) •
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)

Program (8)
3x Datasucker (Core Set) •••
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)
2x Snitch (Cyber Exodus)
2x Crescentus (A Study in Static)

Cerebral Imaging: Infinite Frontiers (Creation and Control)

Agenda (11)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)
3x Efficiency Committee (Creation and Control)
2x Profiteering (Second Thoughts)

Asset (3)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (1)
1x Panic Button (True Colors)

Operation (23)
3x Archived Memories (Core Set)
3x Biotic Labor (Core Set)
1x Closed Accounts (Core Set) •
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Green Level Clearance (A Study in Static)
2x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves) ••••• •
2x Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts) ••
3x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
3x Blue Level Clearance (Fear and Loathing)

Barrier (4)
3x Bastion (Creation and Control)
1x Wotan (Second Thoughts)

Code Gate (4)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) ••

Sentry (3)
3x Rototurret (Core Set)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Blackguard and Cerebral Imaging? We've got cards like that in Android Netrunner!

And what game were you playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grimwalker wrote:

Well, in Android: Netrunner that I know, Blackguard and Cerebral Imaging are junk cards that nobody in their right mind would bring to the tournament, much less win with them. In the Netrunner that I know, Criminals play Desperado and HB plays SanSan City Grid. Your Netrunner seems like a totally different game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:

Well, in Android: Netrunner that I know, Blackguard and Cerebral Imaging are junk cards that nobody in their right mind would bring to the tournament, much less win with them. In the Netrunner that I know, Criminals play Desperado and HB plays SanSan City Grid. Your Netrunner seems like a totally different game

That is the awesome part of LCGs, things change so often.

The diversity of the Store Championship winners is pretty interesting, now that the door was opened it will be interesting if there are any more Blackguard or CI decks out there of note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kyu kyu
msg tools
Hi, I won with those decks.

We can agree that match-ups mean a lot; what you play against can lend a severe disadvantage or make for an easier game. With the CI, I had many close games. Although the odds were in my favor when it came down to the "do they get the agenda in my hand or do i win next turn" situation, it came out in my favor. It easily could not have been in my favor. I try to put them on a short clock, scrambling to make their rig to get in while i score out of hand.

The BG deck runs mostly like any normal Gabe deck, with a few slots for the BG aspect. While they think everything will be fine if they have X credits to score their agenda next turn or to rez a certain ICE, when you make them broke elsewhere their plan then crumbles.

While everyone is preparing to play against the usual things, if they even prepare at all, you can come in with something they have not fought against and they will stumble along, unsure of how much time they have to setup, what ICE you are playing, are you shipment combo'ing, or is it an elaborate scorch setup...

All that being said, i was confident in Gabe more than CI by a longshot. I never feel in control of the game playing that deck. Luck plays too much of a role in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain wrote:
Blackguard and Cerebral Imaging? We've got cards like that in Android Netrunner!

BGG has often scoffed at the value of alternative decks, or ignored cards after a face level review. I can't tell you how easy it is to exploit that thinking. I played against kyu in the tourney and it was a hell of a crazy game that ended in my defeat.

Blackguard is wacky, and with snitch it is powerful enough of a combo that you can consider mixing it other decks as well, though I think crim is the strongest BG build though. All that early game power and in-faction gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
mplain wrote:

Blackguard Gabe seems fine. Sure, it takes a while to set up, but constantly losing all your credits to rez ICE is frustrating as the corp.

I really don't understand how this CI deck did well though. With only 11 ICE, you're drawing an average of ~1 ICE in your starting hand. It seems like you'd be very vulnerable to Indexing or Siphons. Plus the ICE is really cheap to break, barring Wotan. Wotan getting derezzed sets you back a lot. With the prevalence of Criminals in the meta, I imagine you getting Siphoned into oblivion.

Anyway, congrats on winning with your unconventional decks! I love the variety of this game, it's what keeps me coming back for more month after month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kyu kyu
msg tools
teknic wrote:
I really don't understand how this CI deck did well though. With only 11 ICE, you're drawing an average of ~1 ICE in your starting hand. It seems like you'd be very vulnerable to Indexing or Siphons. Plus the ICE is really cheap to break, barring Wotan. Wotan getting derezzed sets you back a lot. With the prevalence of Criminals in the meta, I imagine you getting Siphoned into oblivion.

Our local meta leans more on Shaper, and emergency shutdown has fallen out of favor as people are playing mostly small ICE. I confess to being lucky against a couple indexings (lucky means most agendas were in my hand) but siphon has less of an effect than everyone thinks, unless they do it 4 times in a row.

After that thorough playing, there are some things I found that don't need to be there, and some things that should be in there. I definitely would have it built differently if it were ever played again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.