Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2010, I asked the broad community who visits this forum their thought, opinions, and ideas about card holders and component trays for Arkham Horror. Marketing in this forum had the anticipated results...over 100 Arkhamaniacs responded either directly on the forum or via e-mail; answered various polling questions; and remained vocal for months at a time. However, as anyone who has studied marketing will tell you, a response defined as a "purchase" is typically in the 4%-6% range. Based on that assumption, we were successful.

Having run two very successful KS Projects (2012-13 and 2013) since then, and selling our pieces on our website, I feel that there's an untapped market of players based on cost...the aforementioned e-mails and comments made at several game stores and conventions underscore the assumption. So, what if we produced the pieces using a plastic-injection process, whereby a player could get their hands on the entire line for less than $200, would there be an appetite for it?

As a gamer and businessman, I leave it to you...let me know what you think. Write to me here or send me a GeekMail. I'm interested in your opinion.

Thanks,
The Professor/Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you sold out of the initial run?

The original pieces were resin right?

Would the plastic versions be comparable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're basically asking if there's demand for comparable looking accessories made of cheaper material (plastic vs resin) at an accordingly cheaper price?

Of course. Look no further than the miniatures market to see that proven definitively.

That said, while there will always be passionate AH fans just realize that there are a LOT of folks dumping their AH collections now in favor of Eldritch Horror. (recent auction and Math Trades are positively littered with huge AH lots)

If you want to make accessories for an expanding market, Eldritch definitely needs to be a new area of focus.

Of course I realize that the AH products are already sculpted so it's a no-brainer to capitalize on your pre-existing efforts by offering that line at a far more attractive price point.

On price, I do think you will find exponentially more buyers for the cheaper set if you can get the collection under $100, especially now as a lot of focus is shifting to Eldritch. While margins would be smaller I'd wager you will more than make up for that many times over with dramatically increased volume.

Certainly worth doing price point research via polling in the way Quirky.com does for it's projects. You'll quickly identify the price resistance point for your market. If you can get into the "great value, would buy in a heartbeat" sweet spot, your order numbers will skyrocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:
Have you sold out of the initial run?

The original pieces were resin right?

Would the plastic versions be comparable?

Hello, Mike!

Thanks for your questions...in-turn, I'll answer each one;

1.) Well, the "initial run" was our first Kickstarter Project, Crafthulhu which ended last January 31st. We crafted over 100 Neighborhood Displays; ten full sets of our pieces, numbering 60 pieces; and nearly 50 other pieces for gamers from around the world. Our second Kickstarter Project, Cthulhu's Eldritch Knowledge, ended on February 28th (just two days ago) and we'll produce another 100+ Neighborhood (or Encounter) Displays, plus many of our larger pieces.

2.) Yes, the original pieces and the ones we're having cast now are made from resin, which while highly-detailed, are also more expensive and heavier.

3.) The plastic versions would be as detailed (though industry folks with whom I've spoken tell me that there may be a bit of sacrifice on the details), and much, much lighter.

Finally, the cost would drop precipitously, and I believe based on early cost projections to get an entire set of our pieces, defined as 9 Neighborhood Displays and one each of the Cthulhu's Caldera, Mythos Fortress, Deep One Item Tray, Great Old One Display, and Graveyard for about $200.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
So you're basically asking if there's demand for comparable looking accessories made of cheaper material (plastic vs resin) at an accordingly cheaper price?

Dante,

Thank for the response...I'll answer or address each of your comments, in-turn:

Quote:
Of course. Look no further than the miniatures market to see that proven definitively.

That said, while there will always be passionate AH fans just realize that there are a LOT of folks dumping their AH collections now in favor of Eldritch Horror. (recent auction and Math Trades are positively littered with huge AH lots)

If you want to make accessories for an expanding market, Eldritch definitely needs to be a new area of focus.

Well stated, which is one of the reasons I reached out to a colleague who was also a play-tester for Eldritch Horror and one of the game designer's, Richard Launius for their thoughts and they both stated that our pieces have high functionality for both games. Again, I'm glad you made the point.

Quote:
Of course I realize that the AH products are already sculpted so it's a no-brainer to capitalize on your pre-existing efforts by offering that line at a far more attractive price point.

My thoughts, exactly...we're certainly hoping to further capitalize on our existing designs.

Quote:
On price, I do think you will find exponentially more buyers for the cheaper set if you can get the collection under $100, especially now as a lot of focus is shifting to Eldritch. While margins would be smaller I'd wager you will more than make up for that many times over with dramatically increased volume.

Getting the collection for less than $100 will probably not ever happen given the start-up costs for the mold and the incredible of number of pieces one must order at a minimum. Fingers crossed, I can get it down as much, as possible. I'm actually hoping that, as you say, we can garner a number of Backers at the lower level to both meet the goal and move most of the pieces out of the warehouse.

Quote:
Certainly worth doing price point research via polling in the way Quirky.com does for it's projects. You'll quickly identify the price resistance point for your market. If you can get into the "great value, would buy in a heartbeat" sweet spot, your order numbers will skyrocket.

Thanks for the info on Quirky.com ~ I had never heard of it, so that's a great nugget of information moving forward. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide such outstanding feedback to my inquiry.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.