Subject: What is it people like about this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am legitimately asking because I think it looks cool, even though the gameplay video showed a bunch of people having a lot of fun, they are trying to sell you the game.

I like the style, I thought SDE looked cool but the PVP appeals more to my group than the dungeon master style games. I like the idea of making a little 'team' or guild and the campaign style.

But I was just wondering before I pledge what about the game are people really attracted to??????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a kind of PvP game with great miniatures and simple gameplay, nothing for hard core gamer here, it's just a light light game for an evening with friends (or more if you want to do the campaign).
I think 85% of this game are miniatures, I don't think they would have the same result (it's a CMON product, this counts too) and yes, I am a backer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of PvP and PvE at the same time a very interesting mechanic. Plus, the minis are mad awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think its an interesting take on an adventure game (which usually don't really appeal to hard core gamers). The PvPvE aspect is cool and building up a team over a campaign is pretty nice.

I enjoy the simplicity of it. Like SDE it feels like a streamlined, yet effective game. This makes it easier to introduce the game to new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me,it looks a bit like a mix between Heroquest (simplicity) and Wiz War (chaos and combos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For me it unfortunately looks like mediocre gameplay at best with very nice minis and great art. So, I will probably get it, never to play it. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me see here...Cool Mini or Not no longer is doing Super Dungeon Explore. Out comes a game from Cool Mini or Not called Arcadia Quest. Arcadia Quest looks way to much like SDE and AFTER the Arcadia Quest Kickstarter ends there will be a SDE Kickstarter launching.

I am with those that say give us a look at the rule book to see how much depth there is in Arcadia Quest. Otherwise I am sticking with SDE and it's more cartoon style characters. Just something about Arcadia Quest that has not pulled me in like SDE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to own SDE, I purchased it to play with my family (wife and two girls). I would love to have a lite cute dungeon crawler type of game for my family.

SDE never really worked, there where no real dessisions in the game. You just run towards the nearest enemy and attack it. Even with the additional monster packs, each game felt much like the previous. And above all was the player elemination, that just not work in a family game, I could often kill the hero of my youngest daughter early, but often I did not. As family games are about having fun above anything else.

I am getting AQ because I beleive it could be the game I wished SDE should have been.

The are some interesting (but still light) desisions to make, which hero to activate, which weapon to use when attacking, which missions/players to go after, when to rest, etc. On top of this there are (short) campains, I beleive 6 games for a campain is just the right size.
The "return of dead heroes" is an excelent family mechanic, you can go after each other and gain some loot. While it does not hurt the opponent too hard.

I am looking very much forward to this one. Even though I am still hoping for more monster AI than we have seen yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well I think there isn't really monster AI because the player to the right decides on the monster's reaction (which in a way can be better than "AI").

I also wanted to add the point that I like the fact that items/abilities are exhausted when used. This gives the hero gameplay an interesting twist, because now you can't just hack and slash your way though monsters with the same ability over and over again. There is some finesse to when to use an ability and when to rest. Do you use your big attack now to kill that hero in front of you or do you save it for the big bad beastman over there? This mechanic sort of reminds me of Fire Emblem's (the video game) weapon system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwiser wrote:
Let me see here...Cool Mini or Not no longer is doing Super Dungeon Explore. Out comes a game from Cool Mini or Not called Arcadia Quest. Arcadia Quest looks way to much like SDE and AFTER the Arcadia Quest Kickstarter ends there will be a SDE Kickstarter launching.

I am with those that say give us a look at the rule book to see how much depth there is in Arcadia Quest. Otherwise I am sticking with SDE and it's more cartoon style characters. Just something about Arcadia Quest that has not pulled me in like SDE.

Just for reference, here's the Soda Pop Miniatures press release:
http://sodapopminiatures.com/press-releases/SDE-ForgottenKin...

I feel a little "once bitten, twice shy" on the Eric Lang / CMON partnership. I'm still waiting on Kaosball and am beginning to suspect I paid a lot of money for a paper tiger board game; pretty pieces, but not much else. I hope I'm wrong.

What is not wrong is this; CMON and Eric have once again pulled off (are pulling off) a great KS campaign. Fun stretch goals, modest add-on options, a fairly comprehensive and complementary website, great illustrations throughout. Kaosball had all of these things too, and as soon as its KS was over - nada. I won't be surprised at all if Arcadia follows a similar track.

That mentioned, I wish Mantic would stop jerking around with their KSers and go the "less is more" route of the Arcadia Quest KS.

I'm not backing Arcadia Quest, but am enjoying the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think SDE is a fair comparison to this game. SDE was a dungeon crawler with a GM. AQ is more of an MMORPG where players race to finish quest.

I feel fundamentally the the games are quite different.

As far as how CMON will handle the KS or the post-KS. I just hope they have learned their lesson with Kaosball. I'm still a believer that Kaosball will a good game and that AQ has a lot of unique interesting things to offer.

Granted its not brain twister, but many adventure games are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
After my Zombicide Season 2 experience with CMON I keep away from that company. Backer update / communication was a bad joke.
Can't say much about the game... but I wish all backers the best of luck. You'll need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
After my Zombicide Season 2 experience with CMON I keep away from that company. Backer update / communication was a bad joke.
Can't say much about the game... but I wish all backers the best of luck. You'll need it.

Yeah I've been on the fence with this, mainly because of this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:

I think they are improving, still far from perfect, but still better than in the past.
But as long as I get the game (even delayed) I am happy, I try to forget everything about a Kickstater once it completes. And some day a game shows up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pomander wrote:
I don't think SDE is a fair comparison to this game. SDE was a dungeon crawler with a GM. AQ is more of an MMORPG where players race to finish quest.

I feel fundamentally the the games are quite different.

As far as how CMON will handle the KS or the post-KS. I just hope they have learned their lesson with Kaosball. I'm still a believer that Kaosball will a good game and that AQ has a lot of unique interesting things to offer.

Granted its not brain twister, but many adventure games are not.

I don't think SDE is a fair comparison to this game either. But I would describe SDE as a 2 player asymmetrical battle game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After perusing the minis gallery due to the contest, I would have to say: boobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. There's a lot of boobage going on there. They even lampshade the ridiculousness in Sonja's bio, with the Armor of Invulnerable Offense. I suspect a lot of people find it cute and retro, and it probably would have appealed to me at a younger age. Now, not so much.

And I suspect this will fuel a whole bunch of "wot, srsly, it's cute little minis with ridiculous outfits, how can you find this offensive, help help I'm being opressed" posturing. Just to clarify, I'm not offended. I just find it juvenile. I'm not offended when my five-year-old draws pictures of butts and cracks herself up, but I'm not going to hang the pictures in the living room. Nor would I kickstart a game dripping with a theme of adolescent sexism, even if it is a nerd in-joke.

/ White Knight mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily offended, but it is a major turn off for me to see the majority of the female characters with enormous breasts and ridiculous armor. We've had enough of that over the years, and I feel like we're in a time where that shouldn't be the case. One cheesecake heroine, okay, but 3 out of 4 in the base game? I really wish Zahra was included in the base game, too, as you rarely see black heroines in the fantasy genre.

I'm also not sure why the ratio of female heroes to male heroes is so off. SDE does a great job having a ton of female characters on par with a ton of male characters. Even with the new expansion, you get two new MALE heroes? Blah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed one of the Early Bird levels, intending to keep an eye on things in case something interesting happened.

I'm not a minis painter, which means there has to be an actual game in there if I'm going to keep my pledge.

Thus far, the game looks cute but shallow.

I was still figuring on holding onto my pledge because, hey, you never know.

Last night they announced an expansion you could add on for $48.00. Fine, fine, but they *also* announced an exclusive stretch goal backers would only receive if they bought the expansion as well.

Aaaaand, I'm out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
ohbalto wrote:
I grabbed one of the Early Bird levels, intending to keep an eye on things in case something interesting happened.

I'm not a minis painter, which means there has to be an actual game in there if I'm going to keep my pledge.

Last night they announced an expansion you could add on for $48.00. Fine, fine, but they *also* announced an exclusive stretch goal backers would only receive if they bought the expansion as well.

Aaaaand, I'm out.

They also made that hero available as a $10 add-on, should you not wish to buy the expansion. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not, but I wanted to mention it just to be safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traken wrote:
ohbalto wrote:

Aaaaand, I'm out.

They also made that hero available as a $10 add-on, should you not wish to buy the expansion. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not, but I wanted to mention it just to be safe.

I saw. Honestly, I'm so turned off by CMoN by Zombicide Season 2 that I wasn't likely to keep my Early Bird; I only grabbed it because it was available and I was curious. This expansion is just going to save me deciding at the last minute if I wanted to keep my pledge or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwiser wrote:

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lapja lapja
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed, received and played it. Game design feels like : "oh we came up with this idea of a dungeon crawler clone that we are going to slow down so much that is going to look like a family game!"

And the game is as close to a dungeon crawler as carcassonne is close to chess! Terribly slow and unpredictable! Weapons are one time use only and then you need to loose one turn to reactivate ? Wtf?

You can only play one character at a time but you have three heroes. That usually results with only one hero being active. A second at most but I never saw a player using three heroes.

A four players game play is a painful experience of patience.

The extensions are all about breaking a design that barely holds. The damnation mechanism is so bad that any player would try to avoid it as much as possible.

The illustrations and mini are beautiful indeed, but I would trash the rulebook and write my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
lapja wrote:
The illustrations and mini are beautiful indeed, but I would trash the rulebook and write my own.

It is really necessary to resurrect a 3 year old thread for that?

Most people seem to like the game .. but we all have our different tastes.
If it's not for you .. too bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lapja lapja
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my intention was to explain why I did not like the game. I guess that is why discussion threads are made for, even when they are three years old.

Too bad if you do not agree with me... but hey,I get it. You like the game and ready to comment anything for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.