3 Posts

Imperium» Forums » Variants

Subject: The "Glory Index", 1st Ed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
In the 1st Ed. the Imperial player is the only player who can "fiddle" with the Glory Index.

1] He wants to lose the game to get more RU for the 'Peace' and to move 1st in each turn of the next war.
2] The only down side is he can't ask more.
3] He might get more RU or permission to build the bigger ships.
4] He loses Glory Points, so he will lose the war/game.

The Terran Player has no way to change the Glory Index.

With a variant that makes capital ships more of a value and down grades the usefulness of clouds of tiny SC, I suggest that the Imperial Player get 1 Glory Point added to the Glory Index for every B, (B2?), and BB that the Terrans lose.

This will have the effects of:
1] The wars may last longer because the Glory lost to begging will be balanced by Glory gained by destroying capital ships.
2] If the Emperor doesn't want to be bothered again, the Imperials may win a war without taking any OP.
3] If the Terrans also get some 'free' ships, then he may choose to lose a B to fiddle with the Glory Index.

Comments please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel this will do little to fix the problem with losing-the-war-to-win-the-peace strategy.

If the Imperials are commited to losing the war and so not aggressively taking planets, surely they will also have no problem with retreating to avoid killing Terran battleships. Especially since those have a fair chance of rusting during the peace, I seem to recall, so chances are they won't be around for the next war anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Jon Karlsson wrote:
I feel this will do little to fix the problem with losing-the-war-to-win-the-peace strategy.

If the Imperials are commited to losing the war and so not aggressively taking planets, surely they will also have no problem with retreating to avoid killing Terran battleships. Especially since those have a fair chance of rusting during the peace, I seem to recall, so chances are they won't be around for the next war anyway.

If players plan ahead properly as the end of the war nears, they will not buy anything in the last turn or 2. This plus the
Peacetime" income should give them enough RU to pay double the M# to keep them from "rusting" away during the peace.

IMHO the Imp. can't run from every force that contains a B or BB. They must fight them or else the Terrans will push them so far back that they can invade an OP to cut off some of the Imp. OP and W. If this happens they lose the OP, PDM, and M at those systems as they are "untenable" during the peace. And then they are all up for grabs at the start of the next war.

Or, am I remembering the "untenable" rule wrong?

What I wonder is if one Glory Point per B or BB lost is enough in the 1st Ed. After all these ships cost a lot.

BTW ISTM [= it seems to me] that players should try to avoid buying any B & BB during wartime. It is so much better to buy them during peacetime when the 2 turn building time makes no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.