Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides both being Deckbuilders how does Star Realms compare? Which is a better game or do they both warrant owning? Which has more depth and replay value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're really different games. Star Realms is mainly about direct combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
They're really different games. Star Realms is mainly about direct combat.

I'm dont own any card games and mostly play board games. Looking for one with some interaction and depth, something more than a filler that plays in 45min to an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Miller McKimpson
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Edit for clarity

LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I'm dont own any card games and mostly play board games. Looking for one with some interaction and depth, something more than a filler that plays in 45 min to an hour.

Aditya has it right. They are very different games, underscore on the different. Star Realms is a quick, interactive game. Not heavy but enough cerebral activity to get some casual relaxation. Card "village" doesn't feel tight, so decisions aren't too taxing.

Core Worlds, especially with the expansion, can move into heavy territory. It is very-thinky, punishing of a bad strategy, and you never seem fully able to do quite everything you want to do. Deck-building is important, but there is no guarantee that what you want will be available in the drafting area by the time you are ready to buy it, or at all. With good players, Core Worlds can be brain melting...in a good way. It runs about an hour or a little over.

What you might be looking for is something like Eminent Domain. It has a nice space theme, is easy to learn, and can be interactive, especially with three or four. It uses a "follow" mechanic in which you have the option of playing the action another player chooses, ala Race for the Galaxy, provided you have the appropriate kind of cards. As a result, you are always thinking about what the other players have in their hands or want to do. Eminent Domain runs about medium weight for thinkiness.

Still, Star Realms works great for a MtG interaction feel that is still deck-building, portable, and quick. But for more than two you need more copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Cincinnati
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kmckimpson wrote:
[q="LunarSoundDesign"]I'm dont own any card games and mostly play board games. Looking for one with some interaction and depth, something more than a filler that plays in 45 min to an hour.

Aditya has it right. They are very different games, underscore on the different. Star Realms is a quick, interactive game. Not heavy but enough cerebral activity to get some casual relaxation. You are buying your own cards, so decisions aren't too taxing.

Core Worlds, especially with the expansion, can move into heavy territory. It is very-thinky, punishing of a bad strategy, and you never seem fully able to do quite everything you want to do. Deck-building is important, but there is no guarantee that what you want will be available in the drafting area by the time you are ready to buy it, or at all. With good players, Core Worlds can be brain melting...in a good way. It runs about an hour or a little over.

[q]

This. Core Worlds is much heavier with deeper strategy, but gets very mathy at the end. Star Realms is a quicker, simpler game but still with meaningful choices. Star Realms has more player interaction. Star Realms plays in about 20-30 minutes. Core Worlds is triple that. The theme is probably better in Core Worlds.

I like both games, but for my group I'm just not sure how much Core Worlds will see the table because of its heaviness, however if that is what you are looking for it is a very good game. I found Eminent Domain not to my taste. There is no variation in setup or cards that you can "buy" in EmDom and I didn't like that as much personally. I really like Star Realms and will be buying a 2nd deck once they are available so I can play it with more than 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.