Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Experienced Sergeant Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Miller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Is it played at the beginning of a unit's activation? Just on a single unit? If played on a unit that's already part of a group or during shared activations, can the additional AP's gained by the card be shared with the above mentioned units? I realize there is no group symbol on the card so a clarification on the card play would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I believe you can play it at any time during a unit's activation. From the card descriptions on page 17:

"Experienced Sergent (x2) An activated unit rolls 1D6 for additional APs that are added to the unit’s AP track. The AP total may now be temporarily higher than the number of APs the unit activated with."

So it appears to only target a single unit.

-Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Miller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That's how the card reads to me also. Single unit, but if the unit was already sharing AP's with other units that would conflict with the card instructions. Or so it would seem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd edition cards introduced icons for cards that could be used for groups as well as single units, so this should be obvious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Miller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It's not obvious that's why I'm discussing it on this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilFromIT wrote:
I believe you can play it at any time during a unit's activation. From the card descriptions on page 17:

"Experienced Sergent (x2) An activated unit rolls 1D6 for additional APs that are added to the unit’s AP track. The AP total may now be temporarily higher than the number of APs the unit activated with."

So it appears to only target a single unit.

-Phil

I agree with Phil. It applies to only a single unit. Therefore, the card cannot be played on a single unit within a group and the extra APs cannot be applied to the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Miller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks guys for all your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, you could use it to ge more AP:s to a single unit and for example move 1 space or stall and then make an group activation, taking some other unit in : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think about it this way. Once the AP's are added to your track you don't need to account where they came from. Spend however you like. Do some shared activations with it, or even some group moves. It would not make sense to say those ~3 AP's you rolled, then added in to your total have some form of restriction tacked on to them. I see nothing in the rules to ever suggest one AP is different from another. I don't have the card handy. Does it include the group symbol? If not, I believe that was then overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:
Still, you could use it to ge more AP:s to a single unit and for example move 1 space or stall and then make an group activation, taking some other unit in : )

This is interesting!

Rule 9.0 (Shared Activations) does say "A player need not declare which units are going to share an activation before taking actions. He may add units at will." So at first glance, it looks like you could do this with the rules as written!

But it also says "The activated units take individual actions whose costs are deducted from a shared 7AP pool", which could imply that you can only start sharing actions once the "experienced sergeant" unit has spent down to 7 or fewer APs. (Or even that you could voluntarily reduce their AP to 7 to start sharing the APs with other units?)

Yet is that "from a shared 7AP pool" intended to be taken literally when playing with the 3.0.1 Variable AP Allocation optional rule? If a unit naturally starts with more than 7AP when playing with that optional rule, could it not share activation with other units, until it got down to 7AP?

Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take "7AP" literally. It is simply meant to indicate a full activation pool were you using the standard 7 AP rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BTW I just found an older thread from 2013 in which Felkor said it was legitimate to give more AP to a unit via Experienced Sergeant and then have other units join it in shared activation:
Experienced Sergeant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
saul oliveira
msg tools
In my opinion if you could use it in a group it would had had the group icon on it. It doesn't, so you can use it in a unit and that unit can form a group later on using those extra points, but you can not use it in an already formed group.

That´s what make sense to me

Saul
Spain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.