Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

A Distant Plain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Government Train - still confused, every time I think I have it ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myles Carey

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
I have probably read all the GovBot training threads twice and probably don't have the rules right yet.

Assuming ample available Gov cubes will GovBot train in spaces that have > 6 Gov cubes in excess of those needed for COIN control?

8.6.2 "...among Kabul and up to 3 COIN Bases..."

Lets say we have with COIN bases:
1) Kabul and Kandahar each are at 6 Gov cubes excess for control
2) Herat has > 6 cubes excess

So GovBot trains in Kabul and Kandahar, yes?
Then does GovBot come back and train in Herat?

Finally the part about "...in one space as needed to enable Civic Action".
Is this outside of the up to 3 COIN bases provinces? Could it be a province or Kabul that had no Coalition Base and needed Gov cubes for COIN control?

I reason that because Solo GovBot Civic Action outside of the Propaganda-Support phase only requires COIN control & no Coalition Base.

Thanks in advance for any insight to clear up the two points: train at > 6 excess cubes and Civic Action province outside of the "up to 3"

- Myles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myles,

Lets say we have with COIN bases:
1) Kabul and Kandahar each are at 6 Gov cubes excess for control
2) Herat has > 6 cubes excess

So GovBot trains in Kabul and Kandahar, yes? CORRECT.
Then does GovBot come back and train in Herat? CORRECT, as long as the Govbot has Resources to Train.

During the Govbot Train Op, Kabul and Kandahar have "priority" because they've got only up to 6 cubes. Provided the Govbot's got the Resources, you still Train in Herat (as Govbot Train Op section states, it will train in Kabul and up to 3 spaces that have COIN Bases.

Finally the part about "...in one space as needed to enable Civic Action".
Is this outside of the up to 3 COIN bases provinces? Could it be a province or Kabul that had no Coalition Base and needed Gov cubes for COIN control? COULD BE IN ANY COIN CONTROL SPACE HAS AT LEAST ONE COIN PIECE (ANY PIECE, BE IT CUBE OR BASE).

If you look at 3.3.2, this is the Civic Action phase of the Train Op, so the Govbot conducts Civic Action (for greatest Support shift) in any 1 space with COIN Control and any COIN piece (doesn't have to be a Govbot piece and can be in a space where cubes were just placed, but doesn't have to be), provided the Govbot didn't exchange 3 Troop cubes for a Base. Notice that in the Govbot Train Op Section (8.6.2) that the Govbot 1st exchanges 3 Troop cubes for a Base, if that's possible, before placing any cubes; that's different from the normal Train Op order with multiple players (where like Civic Action, happens after placing cubes) but if that happens, the Govbot can't do Civic Action for a Support shift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Campo
United States
Columbia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myles, such a relief to know that I wasn't the only one wondering what the heck the 'bot' was saying. I'd sit there many times hoping I didn't have to Train so I wouldn't have to try and interpret the rules again. Thanks Eric, for clearing that up...somewhat anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Government Bot Train operation is one of the hardest to implement among all the non-player operations, mostly because the Government is a very subtle and difficult faction to play, making it a real challenge to master, and one of the reasons I like to play Warlords or Taliban!

One of the things I always try to keep in mind when I use the Bots in my solo games is that the Bot represents Volko’s ideas on optimal play by that faction, and even in a live game, I always refer to the Bot for my faction before I make a final decision on my move, just to make sure I’m thinking like Volko. So when it’s the Bot’s turn, you have to sort of think of what would Volko do if he were the live player in this situation, and since Volko isn’t there with you unless you’re really lucky, then think of what you would do if you were the live player of that faction, following what Volko might suggest to you if he were standing next to you and coaching you through the game. The key thing about Government Train, aside from getting all your pieces on the board, is that it’s an operation that leads to Support that can then be cashed in for Patronage in the Pump and Dump strategy.

Trying to follow the Bot word for word is very difficult to do, but getting a sense of what it is telling you and then doing that within the guidelines of the Bot seems to me to be easier to accomplish.

Something else that would be valuable would be some more examples of play posted here on-line. It would be pretty expensive to include a dozen or so examples of Government Train operations in the printed Playbook, but if we each can record an interesting play here on BGG, over time we’ll build up a nice repository of cases, critiqued by our fellow players, and from this knowledge base, the Government Train operation will become “old hat” and then after I study all that, my hair will hurt a lot less when it comes to the Government turn in my solo games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.