flag msg tools
badge
"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars" - unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
Name of the game: Age of Steam
Expansion: Southern/Western Expansion – Southern board

Number of players: 3-6

Playing time: 120 minutes
Mechanic of the game: Dice Rolling, Pick-up and deliver, Route/Network building, and Tile placement

On Thursday Feb. 27th I had the pleasure of demoing the Southern/Western expansion of Age of Steam to Epic Loot in Dayton Ohio. It was a slow night but I was able to get two people to participate in this game. Joe and Troy decided they were brave enough to participate.
Once the game was set up I explained the rules. I explained that in this game there are pennies on the board and that they will be representing cotton. They needed to urbanize a city before moving the penny. Once the city is urbanized they needed to get it to one of the major ports; New Orleans, Mobile, Charleston, and Savannah.
I also explained that Atlanta will be getting a good on turns 1-4 and that after that the income reductions will be doubled on the income track.
They understood the new rules as well as the regular rules and they were ready for the challenge.
It was a slow start for this game. I was not having one of my better games. Joe and Troy seemed to take on an early lead and I was left in the dust in the first few turns.
Joe and Troy were literally competing on who can have the most links in the game. Joe was able to actually build his track across the board (New Orleans to Raleigh) so he was able pick up and deliver just about any good anywhere on the board. Troy had the strategy to keep urbanizing cities and delivering cotton to the ports. Troy also had a mess of smaller tangled tracks to work with. I was just happy to have track on the board, move goods, and break even on every turn!
After 10 exhausting turns, Joe pulled out a win. Troy was only 7 points behind him. Let’s just say that I was AT LEAST 30 points behind them both (it was not a good game for me).
I enjoyed this demo because Joe was a train enthusiast! After the demo he took me to the train section of our store and told me about each of the train games and how awesome each one is. I was actually surprised that he had never played Age of Steam. He enjoyed it so much that he said if I am there again (which I will be) he will be participating again. Next time, I will try to demo the other expansion board so he can see another side of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.