Subject: Feedback on New Rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Vinci
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
Let me start off on a positive note. The new rulebook is definitely much more readable and accessible than the the first, and I cannot say enough about the changes. However, I did find a few issues (some very minor), which perhaps Common Man Games can correct when they issue the second edition.

1. Contents/Set Up (p. 2) nicely illustrates and describes most, but not all of the components. Some are either pictured later or not at all. The ones missing from this page are the 8 Character cards, the 10 Patrol cars, 1 Urgent marker, 3 SWAT tokens, 2 Federal Agent tokens, 1 Turn marker, and the 8 Loyalty cards. It would be helpful to see all of these in one place. Also, because the Internal Affairs Event card is only used with the Dirty Cop variant, it probably should be stated to remove this card from the Event card deck if you are not playing the Dirty Cop variant. Finally, the use of the words "Investigation cards" is used throughout the rulebook and should be clarified up front to refer to the Examine Body, Murder Weapon, Crime Scene,and Interview Witness cards. I missed the reference on p. 2 the first time through.

2. Example of Movement (p. 5) - In the last sentence, it is mentioned that "1st Ave. North is out of reach." This should read "1st Street ..." as there is no "1st Ave." on the board. Also, it would be helpful if the diagram was rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, so that the movement described in the example matches the direction of the compass.

3. Special Event Cards (p. 12) - The wording on the Car Theft card in the picture still has the old incorrect wording. The Car Theft card with the Kit now has the proper street references, but has one grammatical error - "Being ... do not count..." should read "Being... does not count..."

A more material error is that the description for the Gas Leak Event card in the rulebook states that one of the requirements to handling this event is that the active player must discard 2 Police Cards. This language is a remnant from the old rulebook and should be removed as it is not stated this way on the actual card. All you need to resolve the Gas Leak event is to have two players at West Calhoun Ave. to seal off the Street. Players should follow the instructions on the card. This was settled in an earlier thread.

Thanks,
Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfamily wrote:
Let me start off on a positive note. The new rulebook is definitely much more readable and accessible than the the first, and I cannot say enough about the changes. However, I did find a few issues (some very minor), which perhaps Common Man Games can correct when they issue the second edition.

1. Contents/Set Up (p. 2) nicely illustrates and describes most, but not all of the components. Some are either pictured later or not at all. The ones missing from this page are the 8 Character cards, the 10 Patrol cars, 1 Urgent marker, 3 SWAT tokens, 2 Federal Agent tokens, 1 Turn marker, and the 8 Loyalty cards. It would be helpful to see all of these in one place. Also, because the Internal Affairs Event card is only used with the Dirty Cop variant, it probably should be stated to remove this card from the Event card deck if you are not playing the Dirty Cop variant. Finally, the use of the words "Investigation cards" is used throughout the rulebook and should be clarified up front to refer to the Examine Body, Murder Weapon, Crime Scene,and Interview Witness cards. I missed the reference on p. 2 the first time through.

2. Example of Movement (p. 5) - In the last sentence, it is mentioned that "1st Ave. North is out of reach." This should read "1st Street ..." as there is no "1st Ave." on the board. Also, it would be helpful if the diagram was rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, so that the movement described in the example matches the direction of the compass.

3. Special Event Cards (p. 12) - The wording on the Car Theft card in the picture still has the old incorrect wording. The Car Theft card with the Kit now has the proper street references, but has one grammatical error - "Being ... do not count..." should read "Being... does not count..."

A more material error is that the description for the Gas Leak Event card in the rulebook states that one of the requirements to handling this event is that the active player must discard 2 Police Cards. This language is a remnant from the old rulebook and should be removed as it is not stated this way on the actual card. All you need to resolve the Gas Leak event is to have two players at West Calhoun Ave. to seal off the Street. Players should follow the instructions on the card. This was settled in an earlier thread.

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jimmy!

Thanks for the feedback!!! I agree that it should (and will) be incorporated into the 2nd Edition process.

Thoughts:

1. Assuming we put "The Jimmy-V Overview Page" in the 2nd Edition (per our conversation), then this will be taken care of (thanks to you).

2. good catch on the St. vs. Ave.

3. Good catch on the grammatical issue on the card. That was read and re-read by many editors and other team members, so surprising that even something that small could sneak through.

4. You don't list it as #4, but I will...
The Gas Leak is a VERY good catch. NICE JOB!!!!

Thanks Jimmy!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Really glad to have you on our team now. By the way, based on this, I just promoted you to a whole new (one-man-team) within the editors. You now fall between the White and Red Teams. Doesn't look like much will be getting past you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Vinci
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi Karl,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, responsiveness, and willingness to constantly improve your product and people's gaming experience. Keep in mind that my feedback may not be shared by others. I am just one gamer among thousands, and we all have different perspectives. That's what makes BGG such a great platform!

I've given further thought to the offline discussion we had and think it would be worthwhile to start an entirely new thread on BGG (assuming there is not one already!) on rulebooks, whether publishers should follow a prescribed format when creating them, and what people expect from their content. I think this will be very helpful feedback for Common Man Games as well as other board game publishers and may eliminate the need to include a rules summary with a game.

Stay tuned!

Common Man Games wrote:
jfamily wrote:

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jimmy!

Thanks for the feedback!!! I agree that it should (and will) be incorporated into the 2nd Edition process.

Thoughts:

1. Assuming we put "The Jimmy-V Overview Page" in the 2nd Edition (per our conversation), then this will be taken care of (thanks to you).

2. good catch on the St. vs. Ave.

3. Good catch on the grammatical issue on the card. That was read and re-read by many editors and other team members, so surprising that even something that small could sneak through.

4. You don't list it as #4, but I will...
The Gas Leak is a VERY good catch. NICE JOB!!!!

Thanks Jimmy!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Really glad to have you on our team now. By the way, based on this, I just promoted you to a whole new (one-man-team) within the editors. You now fall between the White and Red Teams. Doesn't look like much will be getting past you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Tuned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Vinci
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
Karl,

I have found a few more issues with the rule book that I thought I would bring to your attention - one typo and a couple of other items to consider reworking or clarifying in the second edition:

1. Pick a Character (p.3) - Detective Pierce is referred to as "Detective Pearce."

2. Revealing Your (Lack of) Loyalty (p.19) - The instructions indicate that in order to reveal yourself as a Dirty Cop, "you must possess at least two Donuts at the time you take this action." However, the Loyalty Status card states above "Dirty Cop Actions" that "if you're a Dirty Cop, spend 2 Donuts to reveal." "Possessing" and "spending" are two different things, and I believe the card trumps the instructions so that you do have to spend 2 Donuts to take this action.

3. It would be helpful if the Emergency Reward icons on the bottom of the Emergency cards be included in the section covering Emergencies on p.9 rather than the back of the rule book. Only the one icon that stops the draw of an Event Card is illustrated. The free Donut and Police Card are self-explanatory, but I wasn't entirely sure what the ones with the eyeball meant until I saw them on the back of the rule book.

4. Accusing another player of being dirty (p. 19) - I think this is the one exception to sharing Donuts. If so, this should be stated somewhere. The instructions state, "To Accuse another player, first discard a total of three Donuts (they may come from any combination of different players, and it is up to you to convince them that this is not a waste of Donuts)." I assume this means that if I want to accuse another player of being a Dirty Cop, and I don't have enough Donuts, I cannot just take them from the other players. They must agree to help me out, or I cannot take this action even if I am a Dirty Cop trying to waste player resources.

This should be it, but thanks for being so receptive to feedback. I will try to start a thread on rule books within the next day or two.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.