Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this episode of The Long View, I'm very happy to be joined by friends of the show
Elhannan Lloyd Keller
United States
Stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Chad Mekash
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as we sit down and discuss the epic game of The War of the Ring (Second Edition). What makes this such a thematic and compelling game? What aspects of the design are noteworthy? What, if anything, can pry the Collector's Edition of this game from Buonocore's Kung Fu death grip? Listen to this episode, and find out!

As a bonus, I also review the upcoming title from Carl Chudyk, Impulse. Can you really have a 4x style game with nothing but some cards and plastic ships? Can you have a satisfying 4x game in 30 - 40 minutes or less? Is this the next great game from the mind that brought us Innovation and Glory to Rome? Listen and find out!

Thanks, as always, to my sponsor www.gamesurplus.com and to The Dice Tower and thanks, as always, to YOU for listening!

The episode can be found here in the BGG database, through iTunes or by following this link:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheLongViewPodcast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: War of the Ring Fearured on Rhe Long View
Awesome podcast.

Suggestion: learn about the DEW north strategy for the Shadow. The north-eastern part of the board is VERY often the most fought over area (which also is highly thematic as there was much fighting there - even though it isn't focused on in the book).

http://warofthering.eu/tacticsoverview.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to listen to it, but the download speeds are just too bad. Streaming gets interrupted every 10 seconds or so for caching and a full download is projected to take 6 hours (and already got interrupted once at 20% or so). Tried it here on BGG, on iTunes and the Long View, all with the same result.

This is not my internet connection, I'm on high bandwidth.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ralf,

I haven't heard about any other issues. Have you tried the direct link to the feedburner page? If that does not work, or it does not clear up in a few hours (heavy traffic maybe?), let me know and I'll have Joel look into it for me. He's kind enough to host my podcast. Thanks for listening!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheLongViewPodcast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's the link I'm currently trying to download. Still several hours left (changing from 2 to 6 dependent on the current speed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
Yes, that's the link I'm currently trying to download. Still several hours left (changing from 2 to 6 dependent on the current speed).

Strange it would be an issue on iTunes as well. I'll send Joel a message and see if he can figure out what's up. I appreciate your patience. Maybe try again later or tomorrow. I'm very fortunate to have a LOT of initial downloads and streams on the first day of release according to the numbers I've seen and with what Joel has shared about what hits the server. It may just be a popular episode. I really enjoyed making this one though so keep at it! Sorry for the trouble. I'll check in later tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the podcast Geoff (sp?)!

I stumbled upon your podcast about a month ago and its been satisfying my itch to dig into specific game conversations during my commuting time

When I saw that you were going to talk about my favourite game it made my day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heidebrechtluke wrote:
Thanks for the podcast Geoff (sp?)!

I stumbled upon your podcast about a month ago and its been satisfying my itch to dig into specific game conversations during my commuting time

When I saw that you were going to talk about my favourite game it made my day!

Awesome! Thanks Luke! If you have not already, please consider joining our guild for news and notes of upcoming episodes. Thanks for listening!

The Long View

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
It worked much better this morning. Must have been the traffic. Great episode, you really brought the atmosphere and fascination of the game across!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
It worked much better this morning. Must have been the traffic. Great episode, you really brought the atmosphere and fascination of the game across!

Glad to hear it Ralf! Thanks for sticking with it! Sorry for the delay and issues you had. Thanks for listening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in the podcast it was mentioned that the game was card driven but it is actually dice driven, you could technically play the game without the cards. That maybe be a way to teach it actually.

I'm going to announce our 2014 online tournament in the next few days, you may want to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Nice podcast.
Mention was made of a possible 2d edition expansion featuring siege engines and the like.
What is the source of this speculation ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Mention was made of a possible 2d edition expansion featuring siege engines and the like.
What is the source of this speculation ?

I think this is the original link: http://www.aresgames.eu/4398

In the final paragraph it states:

Ares Games wrote:
Analyzing Battles of the Third Age, we saw clearly that what we designed then was three different set of elements – Characters, Factions, Siege Engines. The direction was now clear – we should design three expansions, and the first of them should revolve around characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
I think in the podcast it was mentioned that the game was card driven but it is actually dice driven, you could technically play the game without the cards. That maybe be a way to teach it actually.

I'm going to announce our 2014 online tournament in the next few days, you may want to participate.

Thanks for the invite! I'm on my way to ConnCon though for the next few days, so I'm afraid I'm out. Thanks for listening to the show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.