Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Le Havre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Get a Luxury Yacht in the final turn?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cliff Allister McLane
msg tools
Hi there,

last time we played this game we wondered that the first player who can make the final turn can get the Luxury Yacht without any disadvantages (no delivery of food (the final food cession is before)/no selling), so he has 10 additional coins for sure (difference between the old ship and the luxury yacht). The only investment is to place his marker on the wharf.
Is our interpretation right, this seems to be a bit unfair for the other players.

Thank you for your help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly legal to build the Luxury Yacht on the final turn. At best that would be worth 18 points if you traded in the iron ship that is only worth 2 gold. Not a terrible play, but the most common move on a player's last action is to use the shipping line to sell 20 to 40 points worth of goods.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dergel wrote:
Hi there,

last time we played this game we wondered that the first player who can make the final turn can get the Luxury Yacht without any disadvantages (no delivery of food (the final food cession is before)/no selling), so he has 10 additional coins for sure (difference between the old ship and the luxury yacht). The only investment is to place his marker on the wharf.
Is our interpretation right, this seems to be a bit unfair for the other players.

Thank you for your help!


I'm not sure I understand the issue. You still have to build the yacht, which requires 3 steel and 3 energy, which requires some planning to get. Yes, someone gets first go at it, but someone has to, and there are 3 luxury liners, and different people will have first go at each one. In fact, the earlier liners are worth more points for the reason that if you get your act together and get the steel earlier, you should be rewarded for it.

Now if you're comparing the luxury liner vs. a steel ship, for example, its true that if you build them late the food contribution is pretty small. On the other hand, if you have at least one action remaining, a steel ship can produce a fair amount of money via the Shipping Line. In the final round, yes, the luxury liner is better. It's also more expensive by 1 steel, though, so it's not a straight comparison - obviously, the thing which costs more resources should be better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orntt wrote:
Dergel wrote:
Hi there,

last time we played this game we wondered that the first player who can make the final turn can get the Luxury Yacht without any disadvantages (no delivery of food (the final food cession is before)/no selling), so he has 10 additional coins for sure (difference between the old ship and the luxury yacht). The only investment is to place his marker on the wharf.
Is our interpretation right, this seems to be a bit unfair for the other players.

Thank you for your help!


I'm not sure I understand the issue. You still have to build the yacht, which requires 3 steel and 3 energy, which requires some planning to get. Yes, someone gets first go at it, but someone has to, and there are 3 luxury liners, and different people will have first go at each one. In fact, the earlier liners are worth more points for the reason that if you get your act together and get the steel earlier, you should be rewarded for it.

Now if you're comparing the luxury liner vs. a steel ship, for example, its true that if you build them late the food contribution is pretty small. On the other hand, if you have at least one action remaining, a steel ship can produce a fair amount of money via the Shipping Line. In the final round, yes, the luxury liner is better. It's also more expensive by 1 steel, though, so it's not a straight comparison - obviously, the thing which costs more resources should be better.


The OP was not asking about a Luxery Liner, he said Luxery Yacht which is a completely different card (special building) that is worth 20 points. It costs nothing to build, you just trade in an iron ship to build the Luxery Yacht when you take the Wharf action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Allister McLane
msg tools
sfox wrote:
Perfectly legal to build the Luxury Yacht on the final turn. At best that would be worth 18 points if you traded in the iron ship that is only worth 2 gold. Not a terrible play, but the most common move on a player's last action is to use the shipping line to sell 20 to 40 points worth of goods.


This was my third play ever and my first with the Luxury Yacht, so I´m no expert in this game, anyway I try to explain why I wondered:
It seems to me that the first player has a big advantage. He could go to the shipping line some turns before. Especially in the 2 player game it´s probable that you can do this. Like you said, it´s more common to go there on the final turn, so why should the players be there some turns before? If an opponent gets the luxury yacht earlier, this is no big deal and accordingly no problem for the first player, because the opponent has to accept the serious disadvantages.
If even this final turn-strategy is only "not a terrible play" for the first player, why should this player gets the luxury yacht earlier which impedes the final shipping line-strategy and increase the lack of foods?
I´m sure that I think wrong somehow, please correct me. =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dergel wrote:
Hi there,

last time we played this game we wondered that the first player who can make the final turn can get the Luxury Yacht without any disadvantages (no delivery of food (the final food cession is before)/no selling), so he has 10 additional coins for sure (difference between the old ship and the luxury yacht). The only investment is to place his marker on the wharf.
Is our interpretation right, this seems to be a bit unfair for the other players.

Thank you for your help!


Perfectly fine. If winning 10 or so francs with an action is the best he can do on his final turn, then he can do so. Usually, you should be able to do better than that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dergel wrote:
sfox wrote:
Perfectly legal to build the Luxury Yacht on the final turn. At best that would be worth 18 points if you traded in the iron ship that is only worth 2 gold. Not a terrible play, but the most common move on a player's last action is to use the shipping line to sell 20 to 40 points worth of goods.


This was my third play ever and my first with the Luxury Yacht, so I´m no expert in this game, anyway I try to explain why I wondered:
It seems to me that the first player has a big advantage. He could go to the shipping line some turns before. Especially in the 2 player game it´s probable that you can do this. Like you said, it´s more common to go there on the final turn, so why should the players be there some turns before? If an opponent gets the luxury yacht earlier, this is no big deal and accordingly no problem for the first player, because the opponent has to accept the serious disadvantages.
If even this final turn-strategy is only "not a terrible play" for the first player, why should this player gets the luxury yacht earlier which impedes the final shipping line-strategy and increase the lack of foods?
I´m sure that I think wrong somehow, please correct me. =)


In a two player game you should be scoring 300+ points, and there are plenty of actions which are worth 10+ points, so while building the Luxury Yacht is somewhat above average that doesn't make it game breaking. It is just one option among many other options where a player could score around 20 points with their last action.

If you really feel it is that great to build it on the last turn, why not just build it on the 2nd to last turn to prevent your opponent from building it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Luxury Yacht isn't some game-deciding card. Sometimes it doesn't even get built.

Think of it like a safe consolation prize: If any player doesn't have a better action that is worth 18 or however many points they'd get when they turn their worst ship into a Luxury Yacht (First player doesn't always have the 2-ship!), they can do that, so they have something useful to do at the end.

Especially in 2 player, it seems rare that both players even want the yacht, someone might be trying to get something else done and turned into money before time runs out.

If your problem is just that first player gets first pick of anything, that seems to be a problem with the very concept of firstness, but I don't think it's unbalanced.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Orntt wrote:
Dergel wrote:
Hi there,

last time we played this game we wondered that the first player who can make the final turn can get the Luxury Yacht without any disadvantages (no delivery of food (the final food cession is before)/no selling), so he has 10 additional coins for sure (difference between the old ship and the luxury yacht). The only investment is to place his marker on the wharf.
Is our interpretation right, this seems to be a bit unfair for the other players.

Thank you for your help!


I'm not sure I understand the issue. You still have to build the yacht, which requires 3 steel and 3 energy, which requires some planning to get. Yes, someone gets first go at it, but someone has to, and there are 3 luxury liners, and different people will have first go at each one. In fact, the earlier liners are worth more points for the reason that if you get your act together and get the steel earlier, you should be rewarded for it.

Now if you're comparing the luxury liner vs. a steel ship, for example, its true that if you build them late the food contribution is pretty small. On the other hand, if you have at least one action remaining, a steel ship can produce a fair amount of money via the Shipping Line. In the final round, yes, the luxury liner is better. It's also more expensive by 1 steel, though, so it's not a straight comparison - obviously, the thing which costs more resources should be better.


The OP was not asking about a Luxery Liner, he said Luxery Yacht which is a completely different card (special building) that is worth 20 points. It costs nothing to build, you just trade in an iron ship to build the Luxery Yacht when you take the Wharf action.


Ah, that explains it. I was not familiar with that card. Sorry for cluttering up the thread!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.