Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this last night with a group of three. We started a campaign during which 2 of us leveled just after the first alien kill, the 3rd player however didn't level the entire mission, he had very bad luck rolling. That third player felt kinda left out. Now I know this isn't the norm , and even in later missions he'll most likely gain that level, however I was thinking about for campaign play changing the alien kill leveling to 1 group roll. So basically if you killed an alien during the round then you when rolling for GD instead of every player rolling for themselves the group just does 1 group roll. If it succeeds then everyone levels.

My only concern is that this variant would assume that in later missions aliens are killable, but that's pretty much what this game is about.

Thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do once an agent is killed an has to restart from lowest rank? Do one roll per tier of agents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think rolling for GD wings does not work well in the campaign setting, partly for reasons you described. I have started playing the campaign as standalone missions, but still linking the missions together based on my results, and so far I am having a lot more fun.

Rather than roll once for the group, I would rather take out the rolling altogether and have rank-ups tied to the mission objectives, since you only get to do it once per mission anyway. For instance, in mission 1, you could say that all agents gain a rank when the second TP point is destroyed. You could make the requirements to gain a rank get tougher as you get later into the campaign, and maybe even add a catch-up mechanism for dead agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, really like the randomness of it. Actually, it feels better when you're playing more agents solo. Playing solo, it feels like X-Com and in X-Com, some guys don't level up, some are destined to stay rookies and some are destined to die and be replaced. Playing through mission 5 with 2 veterans and 3 new recruits was awesome. Only the veteran Hulk made it out alive and it just felt... epic. They will be remembered.

However, I can totally see how having your dude not level up would feel incredibly unfair. I think I might play by the standard rules, but if your guy doesn't level up by the end, you get an auto level up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah solo I think rolling makes sense. I think as far as a campaign I like the idea of not rolling at all. Maybe just level according to the solo mission start point? Just look at it and at set up level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snappleman wrote:
However, I can totally see how having your dude not level up would feel incredibly unfair. I think I might play by the standard rules, but if your guy doesn't level up by the end, you get an auto level up.

Yeah, this seems like an excellent place to houserule things. Particularly since you can only gain one level per mission in campaign mode anyway, making it easier to get levels is unlikely to affect the difficulty of the game all that much.

Another alternative would be to respect the roll-to-level rules, but automatically upgrade agents to the minimum level listed for standalone games for the next mission if they survived the previous one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Croft
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably be a bit boring to be left behind on the levelling up if you are all only playing one character each.

In X-COM, if I have a Rookie that I want to level, I make sure I let them do the killing blow.

In GD terms, if one character did not level up at the end of the first round, I would probably give them a chance to level up after each kill in the next round PLUS give them the regular chance to level up at the end of the round along with everyone else that qualifies. i.e. let them catch up but not overtake the highest level.

This could also work for newbie replacements - they enter a Rookie and have a chance to level up each kill so as not to unbalance the game.

Would this work? To me, it would mean that my poor level-up roll is not a disaster if that is my only character in the game.

Multiple characters each - should alleviate the bad rolling luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.