BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Board game friends - Bristol UK. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Ok this is sort of one of those gaming groups search messages... sort of.

Very recently got into board games, bought 7 in the last 3 weeks... probably a little excessive... but hey.. Thought my best bud and his wife would be interested, we played one session of Super Dungeon Explore and that's been it. Can't tear them away from their PC's long enough.

So I need new friends... lol

I have had a poke around and I can see there is a couple of 'board game groups' around the area, but they meet on either days that I can't make, or they don't meet often enough to feed my very sudden board game addiction. A know a bunch of the groups meet in pubs and as I have never been a drinker (I can't stand alcohol I don't as a rule do pubs, so wouldn't really feel all that comfortable meeting in one)

I suppose all I am looking for is 2-4 people who just want to play board games as much as possible (I am usually free Monday and Thursday evenings, Saturday morning/afternoon and most of Sunday)

I am north Bristol based (Stapleton)

Let me know if anyone is interested (maybe start another game group).

Really don't want to end up only ever playing the 7 games I have solo, would also like to play D&D as well, as never really had the chance to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, I am not from England, but it might help to name the games you bought / to add them to your bgg collection so that others can see whether your interests match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help on the playing games front, as we're all the way down in Cornwall, but I'd just like to recommend the UK Games expo, which is in Birmingham, at the end of May.

It's a whole weekend (Fri-Sun) of gaming, with stalls, a games library, many different game tournaments, RPG's, talks, game demo's, etc.

If you were going on your own, it would be easy to find many gaming opportunities. They even have a system of flags that people can put on their table if they're looking for others to join them.

Obviously it's only one weekend, but it would give you a gaming fix, and it's not too far from you.

Good luck on your search to find local gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
smithlucas wrote:
Obviously, I am not from England, but it might help to name the games you bought / to add them to your bgg collection so that others can see whether your interests match.

I only just noticed that 'collection' thing attached to my profile, I was trying to find a way to change the forums times to GMT rather than how they are now... lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fancied getting some games in you could pop down to the Cardff Games Day in April:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1132341/new-cardiff-game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lat00uk wrote:
I have had a poke around and I can see there is a couple of 'board game groups' around the area, but they meet on either days that I can't make, or they don't meet often enough to feed my very sudden board game addiction. A know a bunch of the groups meet in pubs and as I have never been a drinker (I can't stand alcohol I don't as a rule do pubs, so wouldn't really feel all that comfortable meeting in one)

I would urge you to make the effort to get in touch with those groups - pubs do sell non-alcoholic drinks of course. I don't like pubs for gaming myself, but in your case, at this early stage, it's just a case of getting to know a few people who might have similar gaming interests. Hopefully you can soon start to invite people round for games, or accept invitations from others and then you can forget the pub groups because you'll have your own circle.

Anyway - good luck - welcome to the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with John, also keep in mind that pubs are some sort of "neutral area" where you can easily meet strangers without any risk/fear. Some might be afraid of inviting people to their homes without knowing them at all, after getting to know each other in a pub, you might do so more easily.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep, our group meet in a pub, but it is the back room and we don't really do "the alcohol thing". However, the people at the pub are very friendly, they provide the venue for nothing and have lots of lovely big tables (or at least they did until it burnt down!).

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason RJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second pubs not being an issue, board gamers tend to occupy the quieter friendly pubs in my experience, and once the games have started most gamers won't manage more than a couple of drinks and most are normally driving so don't even have that.

Not sure which groups you're aware of in your area, but have you seen the full list of Bristol groups on the UK FAQ? Might be worth just popping along once or twice. It looks like Area 51 group is based out of a shop and meet on a Monday & Thursday. They've all got Facebook groups too so you could probably ask this question on their group pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which part of Bristol do you live in? North or South?

I've been thinking of starting up a group in North Bristol but haven't had much time to scout out locations. I can tell you that the councils community team were useless at getting back to me with regards to locations.

There's a few of us that get together to game, and we have a good selection of games between us but without the numbers to split the cost of a hall across, it becomes a bit difficult. I'm always reluctant to game in a pub in case the tables are sticky or people spill drinks or drop chips on my games...

There's a couple of groups that run, one at Area 51 along the A38 and a couple in various pubs over the course of a month.

If anyone is interested in a north Bristol gaming group then drop me a line as an idea of numbers may help me secure a venue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
I'm in Stapleton (next to UWE).

I completely agree about the pub, sticky table thing... I would be heartbroken if something happened to a game that I owned that I had hardly even or ever played.

I would be completely open to trying to start a new group, I would even offer my place to begin with (as long as everyone else weren't complete nutcases).. lol, although my dining table isnt massive, I have been looking into a folding table type thing, so with moving some of my furniture around could probably manage 3-5 player games.

I might have to check Area 51, I know where it is, its just whether I can get my lazy ass down there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
I see what you did there....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trebormills wrote:
lat00uk wrote:

whistle

Curse you Trebor, I was about to slap him for not reading properly, and you beat me to it (and a mere 14 days ago too...so close..!)

Before anyone thinks me a mere troll, I might happen to know Rob and Tom already...now, back on topic

First off: Welcome, Derek, to BoardGameGeek (soon to become BGG to you, as it has to most) and to the wider hobby of board gaming in general. I'd say "stop, go back, here be dragons" (and i wouldn't be lying...) but where's the fun in that? And besides, Gamers rule, and the games that we play do so too. When the time comes for a zombie invasion, we've played the games, we know what not to do!

Congrats on finding the geek collection so early, I'd also recommend pointing your eyes towards geekbuddies and subscriptions too; you can be kept updated with the latest musings, comments, and general buffoonery (No, i'm not looking at you, Tom whistle) of your friends on here with the buddies activity list, and subscribing to conversations and pages lets you get updates from the wider site too.

And finally...I'm in Patchway (just outside Cribbs Causeway), and in a similar position. I came onto BGG today, as it happens, to ask a similar question to the one you asked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
WillyRapier wrote:
trebormills wrote:
lat00uk wrote:

whistle

Curse you Trebor, I was about to slap him for not reading properly, and you beat me to it (and a mere 14 days ago too...so close..!)

Sorry did I miss something? Haven't been able to keep a close enough eye on this thread since I posted it (rl and such), why was I about to be slapped? not sure what I did wrong??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He was going to slap ME for missing your first comment about where you lived. As you may remember from the geek mail I sent you the other day, I mentioned asking Chris about us all meeting up for some games some time. Well this is the Chris I was referring to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Ah ok, thats makes more sense now, I read that I was all like... what did I do wrong..

I don't think I paid as much attention to that as I should've LOL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely check out Area51. There is a Facebook group which is well used https://www.facebook.com/groups/14136220580/ so feel free to ask questions there. Or just stroll along on a Monday evening. (Monday tends to be Boardgame night, and Thursday is mostly Magic: The gathering). It's so close to you, why wouldn't you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
freduk wrote:
Definitely check out Area51. There is a Facebook group which is well used https://www.facebook.com/groups/14136220580/ so feel free to ask questions there. Or just stroll along on a Monday evening. (Monday tends to be Boardgame night, and Thursday is mostly Magic: The gathering). It's so close to you, why wouldn't you!

I really should go to Area 51 on a monday, not interested in MTG at all as I always sucked at it.. lol

Been playing Mage Knight and getting into LOTR:LCG now that I have finally got my core set.

Are either games played there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Angel
United Kingdom
Bristol
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya Derrick, We were running a Monday board game night at the Kingsdown Wine vaults, which changed to the Gryphon in town. Unfortunately the group went their seperate ways after new years.

The main reason for using Pubs or bars is the availability of free space and security, I mean I dont know about you but I don't really fancy inviting a load of randoms around my house when the kids are in bed! The wine vaults was a bit out of the way but already had a few games and were happy to host us.
I knew some staff from the Gryphon and they allowed us to use the upstairs area on monday nights (Away from the bar and lots of big tables) so we moved there.

Anyway like I mentioned before we no longer do the monday meet ups, but I play with a few friends in the kingswood/fishponds area, the Porto Lounge in fishponds is a nice cafe with big tables and a very laid back atmosphere, being close to the student areas I think it'd be an ideal location for a gaming group. I'll have a word with the staff and some gamers and see if we can't get something going.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we play many different things, to name a few; Boss Monster, Castle Panic, Space Cadets, Small World, Zombicide, Tsuro, Pandemic, Catan, Carcassone, Power Grid..
And we're always open to new games. (I think Mage Knight and Arkham Horror will go down a treat)

If you PM me your mobile number i could text you if we try a game night at the porto lounge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Longwell Green, so if something's up I'd be happy to pop along...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Denley
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Stapleton here, I have already PM'ed Will, just waiting for a response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in Knowle (but don't let that put you off). Unfortunately, due to kids etc I can't host, but am happy to travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CactuarLOL wrote:
Heya Derrick, We were running a Monday board game night at the Kingsdown Wine vaults, which changed to the Gryphon in town. Unfortunately the group went their seperate ways after new years.

The main reason for using Pubs or bars is the availability of free space and security, I mean I dont know about you but I don't really fancy inviting a load of randoms around my house when the kids are in bed! The wine vaults was a bit out of the way but already had a few games and were happy to host us.
I knew some staff from the Gryphon and they allowed us to use the upstairs area on monday nights (Away from the bar and lots of big tables) so we moved there.

Anyway like I mentioned before we no longer do the monday meet ups, but I play with a few friends in the kingswood/fishponds area, the Porto Lounge in fishponds is a nice cafe with big tables and a very laid back atmosphere, being close to the student areas I think it'd be an ideal location for a gaming group. I'll have a word with the staff and some gamers and see if we can't get something going.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we play many different things, to name a few; Boss Monster, Castle Panic, Space Cadets, Small World, Zombicide, Tsuro, Pandemic, Catan, Carcassone, Power Grid..
And we're always open to new games. (I think Mage Knight and Arkham Horror will go down a treat)

If you PM me your mobile number i could text you if we try a game night at the porto lounge.

If it's any help, I have Arkham with three expansions (Dunwich, Innsmouth, King in Yellow) and would be happy to bring along. I'd love to try playing AH with others; only done it solo so far.

I've got a few more, too (see collection), happy to bring along. I'd like to give Mage a go, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Just had a thought, does anyone on here remember Captain Sci-fi that used to be in town? I first encountered it in St Nick's Market, but he then moved to FairFax Street (next to Antics). I spent a lot of time in there playing Magic: The Gathering, usually after stopping in Area 51 to buy singles (in their older shop further down Glos. Road), occasionally popping over to captains Log in Old Market if I couldn't find what I was looking for elsewhere. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the organiser of the Inn on the Green group, i hope i can allay some concerns -

tables are immaculate
large pub, we usually have a quiet corner to ourselves
variety of non alcoholics on tap, which we all happily indulge in
easy parking
brilliant food
between us we have a huge variety of games and...
none of us are much good at them.
good access (the drive in from bradley stoke is surprisingly easy)

as the group is still relatively small (usually only 6-7 of us) theres a chance as we grow we might branch out and find an alternative venue, but tbh i cant imagine somewhere any better north of clifton.

the only drawback for you is that we only meet every other week on a night i know you cant make, such is the result of compromise. if anyone else fancies popping down to see us, theres that much more opportunity to network and get to know people, and eventually organise a thing. (next nights are 1st and 15th April)

there seems to be so many gamers in bristol im surprised noone has organised something like manorcon/baycon here yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.