Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts? I am leaning towards The new era as I imagine it has more depth than Artic Scavangers but worried that just means harder to learn and not as smooth flowing.

Edit: originally I was debating Arctic Scavangers vs The new Era but now the discussion is comparing RftG instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Arctic Scavangers vs The New Era
I can't comment on Artic Scavengers, never played it. And honestly, until now didn't even know it existed.

But The new era I can definitely recommend. When my wife and me grew tired of playing RftG over and over again (just the base game - always found the expansions to be a rip-off, especially the first one), we looked for something new that could fill the gap.

The new era easily managed this task plus adding some more variety to the games - no multiplayer solitaire anymore, attacking IS an option. Also, the fourfold purpose of the cards (trade contract, loot, location, "money") really adds to the game. We played it quite some times by now and no two games were the same - and now we added the Winter expansion as well because it really is that good. Imho, it clearly outclasses RftG.

The downside:
The rules are horrible. Really horrible. It took me about 2 reads and a solo test-game to understand how the game was supposed to work. When I finally tried to explain it to my wife it became apparent that I still had no real idea how this thing was meant to be played. After struggling and fighting our way through the first 2-3 games, a device with internet acces always at hand, we eventually managed to play the game the way it was supposed to be played.

The good thing:
The game itself is not that hard to explain IF you already know how to play it. I explained it to three other people so far, 2 gamers and one "entry-level" gamer. All three also learned, played and liked RftG. It turned out that they grasped The new era WAY faster than RftG and liked it better.

So, bottom line:
excellent game that is surprisingly easy to teach to new players and offers great replayability. But to get there, you will have to suffer. No way to avoid that, but I still recommend it.

Btw:
Your collection says you already own it. So why do ask? You don´t think about trading it away, do you?
If so, break it open, read the rules and play it at least thrice! Then think again. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:
I can't comment on Artic Scavengers, never played it. And honestly, until now didn't even know it existed.

But The new era I can definitely recommend. When my wife and me grew tired of playing RftG over and over again (just the base game - always found the expansions to be a rip-off, especially the first one), we looked for something new that could fill the gap.

The new era easily managed this task plus adding some more variety to the games - no multiplayer solitaire anymore, attacking IS an option. Also, the fourfold purpose of the cards (trade contract, loot, location, "money") really adds to the game. We played it quite some times by now and no two games were the same - and now we added the Winter expansion as well because it really is that good. Imho, it clearly outclasses RftG.

The downside:
The rules are horrible. Really horrible. It took me about 2 reads and a solo test-game to understand how the game was supposed to work. When I finally tried to explain it to my wife it became apparent that I still had no real idea how this thing was meant to be played. After struggling and fighting our way through the first 2-3 games, a device with internet acces always at hand, we eventually managed to play the game the way it was supposed to be played.

The good thing:
The game itself is not that hard to explain IF you already know how to play it. I explained it to three other people so far, 2 gamers and one "entry-level" gamer. All three also learned, played and liked RftG. It turned out that they grasped The new era WAY faster than RftG and liked it better.

So, bottom line:
excellent game that is surprisingly easy to teach to new players and offers great replayability. But to get there, you will have to suffer. No way to avoid that, but I still recommend it.

Btw:
Your collection says you already own it. So why do ask? You don´t think about trading it away, do you?
If so, break it open, read the rules and play it at least thrice! Then think again. devil

I was also considering RftG but am leaning towards The New Era, what do you like about it better? What didn't you like about RftG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG is also a good choice, and it has the better rules.
It is a bit multiplayer solitaire, though, and feels a bit repetitive over time. You can build some nice combos that are really enjoyable when you manage to pull them off, but the means to achieve this are always "colonize planet" or "develop technology". Player interaction is limited to trying to avoid giving your opponent cards (means: you explore only if absolutley necessary) and guessing what role he could play so you could profit from it as well. But that's it.

The new era also offers you the option to send workers to locations (yours AND those of your opponents), to start trade agreements with lucrative opponent locations, to raid locations for their loot or to build them for their inherent special rules (RftG basically incorporates only this part). Raiding usually destroys locations, giving you the loot but your opponent the chance to build something new for a lower price, so it comes with its drawbacks - but there is for example a combo that allows you to raid locations repeatedly without destroying them...

In RftG, the combos are card-ability combos only. In The new era, you can build combos using different mechanisms.
It just provides some more layers of options that are all valid choices once you learn the game, making for a far more versatile game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:
RftG is also a good choice, and it has the better rules.
It is a bit multiplayer solitaire, though, and feels a bit repetitive over time. You can build some nice combos that are really enjoyable when you manage to pull them off, but the means to achieve this are always "colonize planet" or "develop technology". Player interaction is limited to trying to avoid giving your opponent cards (means: you explore only if absolutley necessary) and guessing what role he could play so you could profit from it as well. But that's it.

The new era also offers you the option to send workers to locations (yours AND those of your opponents), to start trade agreements with lucrative opponent locations, to raid locations for their loot or to build them for their inherent special rules (RftG basically incorporates only this part). Raiding usually destroys locations, giving you the loot but your opponent the chance to build something new for a lower price, so it comes with its drawbacks - but there is for example a combo that allows you to raid locations repeatedly without destroying them...

In RftG, the combos are card-ability combos only. In The new era, you can build combos using different mechanisms.
It just provides some more layers of options that are all valid choices once you learn the game, making for a far more versatile game experience.

I had previously suggested that Thomas get and try both. Would you agree with that?

Also, from my research on Arctic Scavengers, I hear it has limited replayability compared to RFTG and TNE, however it is supposed to have enough replayability to make it well worth the price. I will probably get it, also .. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot commend on The New Era.
I can comment on Arctic Scavengers though. I did play over 200 different games during less then 18 month... doesn't mean you share my taste though.

Arctic Scavengers
+ Shares some good things with Dominion, but not the bad ones
+ Has quite a lot of interaction and even bluffing going on
+ Plays awesome with 3-5
+ super theme
+ very well integrated theme / mechanics
+ no chains (village -> smithy -> village -> smithy)
+ low downtime
+ awesome artwork
- a little more complex than dominion
- Does not offer too much variation, but subtle changes, leaders and maybe a small pre-game draft house rule will introduce quite a lot of strategies
- Plays bad with 2

... my thoughts? If you play with 3-5, go get it. If you play with 2? Go get Android Netrunner (more like Poker), Mage Wars (more like Magic) or Summoner Wars (more like Chess)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Arctic Scavengers (Rio Grande) does not offer less variation then the base Dominion game, but rather more - the first (or 2nd, depending on how you count) expansion is on its way already (to add more variation)

My GF did not like Thunderstone Advance (boring, and she is quite right about that) but she liked Arctic Scavengers. She does also like Coup (excellent game) but doesn't like Cosmic Encounter (too much interaction, negotiation, deal-making and chaos). Cutthroat Caverns was okay though (cause you can screw others without talking to them if you want to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

I had previously suggested that Thomas get and try both. Would you agree with that?
(...)

Sure, why not? We own both of them and see no reason for trading away any of the two.

Their similarity is the fast playing time and focus on creating combos, but apart from that they feel completely different.
If you are in the mood for some fast development where everybody builds his own thing, pull out RftG and enjoy the engine you built.
If you want to interact with your opponents and give your decisions a second thought (because that location you just build does not only grant you a bonus, it could be raided by your opponent or he could start a trade agreement with it providing him with some important resources), then break open The new era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perturabo wrote:
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

(...)

Sure, why not? We own both of them and see no reason for trading away any of the two.

Their similarity is the fast playing time and focus on creating combos, but apart from that they feel completely different.
If you are in the mood for some fast development where everybody builds his own thing, pull out RftG and enjoy the engine you built.
If you want to interact with your opponents and give your decisions a second thought (because that location you just build does not only grant you a bonus, it could be raided by your opponent or he could start a trade agreement with it providing him with some important resources), then break open The new era.

Well we haven't tried either but I ended up with both RftG and The New Era. So do you feel there is room in the collection for both? Are they different enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Well we haven't tried either but I ended up with both RftG and The New Era. So do you feel there is room in the collection for both? Are they different enough?

Play them and find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Perturabo wrote:
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

(...)

Yes, definitely different enough.
RftG is the lighter, faster game (approx. 20-30 mins for a 2-player game once both players now it by heart), The new era has more meat on its bones and takes slightly longer to play, especially with the winter expansion (30-45 mins for a 2-player game, given both are experienced).
Given their fast playing time you can play both within a 90 minutes timeframe and enjoy two quite different experiences. So again yes, keep them.

And as you own both of them already anyway, I support matthean's notion: break them open and play the two games. Don't hypothesize, find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Play them and find out.

I plan on it just using the feedback to decide which one to try and learn first. They both seem daunting. Thanks for all the feedback I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, didn't I just see you recommending the New Era to someone else in another thread? And you hadn't played it!!?!? How can you recommend a game you haven't played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Wait, didn't I just see you recommending the New Era to someone else in another thread? And you hadn't played it!!?!? How can you recommend a game you haven't played?

If you have researched enough about the game, you can offer basic details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

Well I've read all about it and know the fundamentals, depending on the thread if it was someone investigating then they will most likeky research further. And I've had people recommend me games they've never played, it's just to spread awareness, there are just too man titles out there these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
cbazler wrote:

OK, but you can say "Hey, I've read about this and it looks great," but you should really add the disclaimer that you haven't played the game.

When you are telling people to go spend their money on something, saying "I recommend X game, it's great," or "Get x, it's better than y," usually people will assume that you have played them and are speaking from a position of authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Any thoughts? I am leaning towards The new era as I imagine it has more depth

More depth than Race? Um, no. I've played Race at least 100 times and I still don't feel I've exhausted the options. And that's kind of what I do in games; I find new strategies and try them, then if they don't work as well as I'd like I polish them, then once I've flushed that strategy out I move on. If I can't find another strategy I pick another game because that's what excites me about gaming. What I'm saying is that I've played RftG 100 times and I am still finding new ways to play this game. That doesn't mean you will enjoy it, but if it is depth you're after, you won't find better than Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
matthean wrote:
cbazler wrote:

OK, but you can say "Hey, I've read about this and it looks great," but you should really add the disclaimer that you haven't played the game.

When you are telling people to go spend their money on something, saying "I recommend X game, it's great," or "Get x, it's better than y," usually people will assume that you have played them and are speaking from a position of authority.

I'm biting my lip but I am know for doing a lot of research and debating gsmes as well as making good (in my opinion) reccomendarions. I read rule books before making decisions and purchases, I've also been demoed the new era by a friend just havent played it with my girlfriend yet. Unless you want to link me the thread I would rather not derail this one with a lecture about netitique or thread policies.

In the future of you want to call someone send a polite private message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Any thoughts? I am leaning towards The new era as I imagine it has more depth

More depth than Race? Um, no. I've played Race at least 100 times and I still don't feel I've exhausted the options. And that's kind of what I do in games; I find new strategies and try them, then if they don't work as well as I'd like I polish them, then once I've flushed that strategy out I move on. If I can't find another strategy I pick another game because that's what excites me about gaming. What I'm saying is that I've played RftG 100 times and I am still finding new ways to play this game. That doesn't mean you will enjoy it, but if it is depth you're after, you won't find better than Race.

Hey Aaron, my bad. The original post was comparing The new era vs arctic Scavangers so perhaps I should change the subject back. That's what that comment was about. Not the topic shifted to comparing RftG vs The new era because I picked up the new era on clearance but in a different thread everyone was suggesting RftG. I wasn't planning on getting both but ended up with a copy of RftG and a couple expansions in the math trade.

Thanks for stopping in, hope all is well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooooooh. That makes sense.

Things are well. It's good to see you back in the forums, btw, you'd been gone and/or not posting for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I'm biting my lip but I am know for doing a lot of research and debating gsmes as well as making good (in my opinion) reccomendarions. I read rule books before making decisions and purchases, I've also been demoed the new era by a friend just havent played it with my girlfriend yet. Unless you want to link me the thread I would rather not derail this one with a lecture about netitique or thread policies.

In the future of you want to call someone send a polite private message.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Anyway, back on topic: between The New Era and Race for the Galaxy, I definitely recommend The New Era, hands down. I've never played it, but it's really, really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Oooooooh. That makes sense.

Things are well. It's good to see you back in the forums, btw, you'd been gone and/or not posting for awhile.

Yeah little work hiatus. Now the girlfriend and I are gaming and she finally has succumb to a few card games like seasons, 7 wonders and among the stars which led me to research somehting heavier. I ended up with both of these and will report back which one she/we like more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to pipe in that I have not played The new Era, so let me know how it goes. The price has kept me away. However, I did grab the promos from the BGG store, you might want to look at those.

I just recently played Arctic Scavengers and thought it was a great 'Dominion' Scenario. With all the snow I wanted something thematic and Arctic Scavengers fit the bill. Played it two player. It has some neat mechanics with you digging through the junk pile for cool items and what not.

RftG is great, but it's more about the mechanics like Dominion, you really don't get into the theme.

Very interested in The New Era for thematic reasons.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Just wanted to pipe in that I have not played The new Era, so let me know how it goes. The price has kept me away. However, I did grab the promos from the BGG store, you might want to look at those.

I just recently played Arctic Scavengers and thought it was a great 'Dominion' Scenario. With all the snow I wanted something thematic and Arctic Scavengers fit the bill. Played it two player. It has some neat mechanics with you digging through the junk pile for cool items and what not.

RftG is great, but it's more about the mechanics like Dominion, you really don't get into the theme.

Very interested in The New Era for thematic reasons.

Jorune

I don't understand how people do not think RFTG has no theme, but to each his own. We all get a kick over the developers that are developing new buildings all the time, the Spartans that conquest every race they come into contact with- and most times the mechanics go with the theme(at least names of cards) very well.

I am a little opposite of you as I want to try Arctic Scavengers, but can give some info on The New Era. It definitely has more moving parts(cardboard resources and such) than RFTG so that is why RFTG hits the table more often. The world is cool, but I hesitated to extol its theme since the destroying and agreements aren't very intuitive to me. It would be difficult to specify that it has more or less "depth" than RFTG, but it definitely has more "length."

The Alien Artifacts expansion does some really cool stuff with the cards balance in RFTG; but I recommend not using the Alien Orb option- it add more complexity than fun(much like takeovers or prestige).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to get too semantic, but I think if you play Arctic Scavengers, you'll see how everything is integrated towards bringing out the theme and perhaps understand me a little better . As you said, cards in RFTG are thematic, I'll give you that, but they don't always work 'together' into a thematic whole, if you understand what I'm saying. It's not like in Rune Age where you play a certain race.

Because of this, the theme can sometimes become a little transparent and the mechanics take over.

In Arctic Scavengers, I would say the mechanics were built around a theme. Certain card types can hunt, which is than used to purchase new cards that round. Or perhaps you will use them to dig, which means you can draw X cards from the dig pile, hoping to find a rare item instead of just finding junk.

Or maybe you use some cards to fight, so that you can draw something from the relic pile.

the theme is there in RFTG if you pay attention to it. the theme in Arctic Scavengers smacks you in the face.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.