Subject: Dictionary Game Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The dictionary game precedes Balderdash by a decade or two, but is essentially the same game. There may be several variants - here is the one that I learned.

Each turn, one player is the chooser. The chooser browses through a dictionary and selects a word, then announces it and secretly writes the dictionary's definition on a scrap of paper. All other players invent their own bogus definition, write them on scraps of paper, and hand them to the chooser.

Next, the chooser reads each definiton. Every player decides which definition is most likely to be the one from the dictionary, and (again, secretly) writes their selection down. Once all players have written down their selection, the turn is scored. A player gets one point if the definition that they selected is indeed the one from the dictionary, plus one point for every player who selected their bogus definition. The chooser gets one point for every bogus definition that is selected, no matter which definition was actually selected. Thus, if somebody thinks that your bogus selection is the one from the dictionary, both you and the chooser get a point.

After a turn, the position of chooser rotates one seat clockwise. Once every player has been the chooser, the next round starts. Play a certain number of rounds (with a big group 2 or 3 rounds is enough), then the player with the highest score wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several different scoring varients.

The one I have commonly played with is that the chooser gets 2 points if no one selects the dictionary definition.

There was another scoring varient in the "Dictionary Game Dictionary" which was a book of obsure words, and contained the rules. It has been awhile since I have seen that book, which I believe was the first on the Amazon search, below.

Quick search of "Dictionary Game" on Amazon yeilds:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/102-6811...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
That scoring variant makes sense, with the way I play you usually earn almost half your points for being the chooser.

Since this game was public domain first, I think it would be nice to have the most common variants here on the BGG site, so I decided to start by giving the one that I learned.

I had never heard of dictionaries just for this game! We always just grabbed whatever dictionary was handy, but a dictionary with only obscure words (I assume that this is what the dictionary game dictionary is?) would definitely make the choosing task faster!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was investigating 'wise or otherwise', went to Balderdash and a google search for 'dictionary game' later, found this post.

I like the fact that this game kind of promotes both convincing lies and prior knowledge (as well as knowing what the others might know).

I've decided to play this game with trivial persuit cards - caller selects one of the 5 questions - since we have a box my brother brought over some years ago and it's been played once or twice, maximum. I never much cared for the trivial persuit rules, even though I like the idea of learning trivia. I never feel like I could have a chance. So this really seems like a new game to play with unused toys.

Can't wait to try this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls