Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
ΓΙΑ ΤΑ ΚΑΣΚΟΛ ΠΟΥ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΑΛΙΩΣΕΙ...ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΡΕΛΑ ΠΟΥ ΠΟΤΕ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΤΕΛΕΙΩΣΕΙ
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you recommend Dungeon! from wizards of the coast for a fantasy themed game for a 5 years old boy?

I've been considering about Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) and DungeonQuest (third edition) but i'm afraid they are a bit complicated for that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When my daughter was 5, Castle Panic was her favorite game. It's a fun one to play with a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
antreas1911 wrote:
Would you recommend Dungeon! from wizards of the coast for a fantasy themed game for a 5 years old boy?

I loved Dungeon! as a kid, although I was probably 6 or 7 years old at the time. I played it with my older brother a lot. I think it would be hard to handle for a 5 year old on his or her own but okay if a parent or older sibling helps out. The game has 4 characters to play, with 2 being basic and 2 more advanced.

We had the old TSR edition. Note that this game has been in print for decades in many different formats. In the States it is readily available at a fair price on the used market.

I'd recommend it!

Edit: Talisman is much more complicated and long (good for teenagers). Dungeonquest would probably work, using only the simple characters, but it might be frustrating because of how difficult the game can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon is spot on perfect.

Talisman will take too many hours to hold his interest yet.

Dungeonquest will be too frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Heroica: Fortaan for my 5 year old boy, but did not play it yet. Currently he is mad about LEGO and builds in every free minute. So maybe this is the right thing for him and for you too.

My boy really likes Lionheart with the knight and the fighting and Dark World, but these games are no fun for the parents despite the cool miniatures.

I tried Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) with less rules, but that is just too much text and rules for the overlord and too much waiting time for the heros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From experience, Dungeon! may or may not be beyond a 5-year-old, but he'll grow into it in the next year or two. Ditto for Castle Panic.

From reputation, the Lego: Heroica series if you can still find them (I believe they've gone out of print), Mice & Mystics, and/or Enchanted Forest. Not sure if the A-MAZE-ing Labyrinth really counts as fantasy-themed or not, but it's also supposed to be pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaostle might be just the ticket. You can start with playing it as a plain roll 'n move and leave the more 'advanced' rules until he's a bit older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Drako online. One side controls 3 dwarves while the other controls a dragon. The cards are simple and have no text, so it might be a good game.

Don't underestimate dexterity games with very young kids. You might look at Draco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics has a nice fantasy theme and does get played with kids that young. Highly dependent on the child No doubt, but could be a real winner for a "real" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franzel Magetower
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I bought Magic Labyrinth for my daughter when she was turning 5. She still likes to play it, even at 7. That's fantasy themed in that you are playing a young wizard.

If instead you're really looking for the "fight monsters and get more loot" style of game, I also recommend Mice and Mystics. In addition to being co-op, it's theme is outstanding and you can play a single scenario in one sitting.

I haven't played Dungeon! since I was a kid, but I expect it would be fine.

On a pseudo-boardgaming related note, I had the Official Dungeons and Dragons coloring book when I was a kid, and I must have played the little dungeon it comes with hundreds of times (in addition to coloring every page). Acquiring an actual copy is prohibitively expensive, but a fine gentleman has scanned in each of the pages:

http://monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2011/10/greg-irons-advance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 5 year old girl. We've played Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game a few times, all the Lego Heroica sets (like Heroica: Fortaan), and recently started Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie.

She loves all these games, and with the exception of Ashardalon, she understands the rules without me needing to explain them every turn.

Another game that she and her cousins love, and which I enjoy playing, is a role playing game: RPG Kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I still love Dungeon! and its the game I play with young kids as well.

Also Rumble in the Dungeon, but the deduction and bluffing element might be difficult for young kids to wrap their heads around. Even after I explain the concept, kids still only move their pawns. They certainly enjoy building the dungeon at least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon and Dragons games, either castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon or Legend of Drizzt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to "tweak" a game a little to fit your situation, I think Dungeon Fighter might be a great choice. You wouldn't want to use all of the rules, but it involves some manual dexterity components I think a small child would love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
franzel wrote:
I bought Magic Labyrinth for my daughter when she was turning 5. She still likes to play it, even at 7. That's fantasy themed in that you are playing a young wizard.
I hope you still enjoy it too. It always goes down very well at gaming groups I go to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I taught my brother how to play Melee at a fairly young age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Dungeon Roll might work. BGG users say ages 6 and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst the fantasy theme is fairly light on the ground it is technically about wizards pupils trying to find their way around an invisible maze and, regardless of theme, The Magic Labyrinth is an outstanding kids game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Master Labyrinth
Amazing Labyrinth
Mice & Mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
antreas1911 wrote:

With an adult (or older sibling) operating as the DM, a 5 year old should have no issues playing Dungeon!. My 4 & 7 year old love playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mandeville
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Sorcerer's Cave? Pretty simple dungeon bash game of tile laying, monster slaying and treasure gathering :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Cube Quest! Flicking cubes to hit other cubes! Can't be too complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- A word of caution on Mice & Mystics -

I have played and enjoyed Mice & Mystics with my 5 yr old son. He really likes taking on the role of one of the mice and grasped the rules pretty quickly.

BUT

Game Duration - this game can take forever. Even the introductory chapters have 3-4 rooms / spaces that are doubled sided. A single session can take more than 2 hrs which is a lot to ask of a 5 yr old (or at least mine). Also, each chapter requires 4-5 mice... so you either need a few more players or you and your child need to double/triple up on characters in addition to managing all the baddies.

Down Time - Since it's a dungeon crawl, each player has to perform their actions in turn and it takes a while between turns for any individual character (this is an issue with attention spans unless your child is playing 2-3 characters).

Player Elimination (sort of) - Like any dungeon crawl, your characters can die (or get dazed). Some 5 yrs old may not deal well with their guy running out of life. I'm not meaning your child is going to cry and run to their room, but kids don't like it when their character who they are invested in dies... A few times my son got upset and decided he didn't want to keep playing even though his mouse respawns the next turn.

To be clear, I really like Mice and Mystics... but don't want you to drop $50, go through all the effort to set it up, learn the rules, etc and then have it fall flat.

I find this game similar/more complicated than Descent, so this isn't really a light dungeon crawl... only the theme is light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo the suggestions for Dungeon and Castle Panic (and even Talisman to a degree; the duration is the kicker), which I play with my 4- and 7-year-old sons. What I've discovered with my youngest is that it's more important for him just to participate, whether or not he grasps any real strategy. I usually offer him multiple options and then let him choose what to do, and of course he loves to roll dice.

I'd agree it's a bit too soon for DungeonQuest.

The Magic Labyrinth is another excellent suggestion already mentioned, which helps develop memory skills.

For other recommendations, check out Hirelings: The Ascent, and if you can track down a copy, Magic Hill is a great game that's fantasy-themed, but not exactly a dungeon-crawler.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a pseudo-boardgaming related note, I had the Official Dungeons and Dragons coloring book when I was a kid, and I must have played the little dungeon it comes with hundreds of times (in addition to coloring every page). Acquiring an actual copy is prohibitively expensive, but a fine gentleman has scanned in each of the pages:

http://monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2011/10/greg-irons-advance...[/q]

That is just too cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.