Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kullberg
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing my first game, and it's going... interestingly. I wanted to concentrate on learning the rules, so I don't have detailed records, but here are some of the highlights.

My subs sank both Argentine subs in the Coastal zone in the first week, which cost me four IO. I'm not sure if this was a good trade or not; one problem completely gone, but a lot more air trouble. Later on the same subs got the Battle and Patrol groups after a few days of missing each other in the dark, but by then I'd lost a ship so no more IO issues.

I got lucky with my San Carlos Events; two were cleaned up with good die rolls, then I got the one that delays Argentine deployment by a day. The pen-pushers in Whitehall delayed my landings by a day, so this helped me catch up.

For me the East zone was the most dangerous; I lost two ships to Exocets and maybe one to bombs (bad memory) due to '11' targeting rolls. Luckily I never had to deliberately leave it empty.

Right now it's 25 May; IO is 4 and DO is *1*. I have 8 regiments ashore, with the Blues & Royals making an opposed landing this turn (Paras went back to Ireland). It's a very strange situation; if in three turns I lose one more ship, I lose the game, but if I don't then I should get a pretty solid win. Seems weird to pull out with 80% of the landing force landing, but them's the rules.

Some things to remember for the next game:
* Use scrambles if possible to put CAP back over SCW; twice now I've had my CAP successfully drive off bombers, but then they had to land and my troops had to deal with Argentine air support.

* Nimrod is just way too unreliable to depend on; I think I've gotten one or two warnings, and the target zone already had CAP anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kullberg
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Summary AAR, in progress
Well, that was interesting. Just finished the game, and I think it was about as close as it's possible to get.

26 May: International opinion 4, Domestic opinion 1. I'm on the edge here.
Weather roll: 11- Overcast. After a day of #3 Clear, the +2 Scramble modifier is a gift.
The CV group comes out to the Coastal Zone, where I have 3 SSNs lurking, but they all miss each other. (The Battle and Patrol groups, and both subs, have been sunk)
Scramble roll" 6+2 = 8, no raids!
Ground combat:
* 5th Marines counterattack 42 Commando (str 1). 5th Marines lose 2 strength and take Green Beach.
* 3rd Artillery counterattack 3 Para (str 2). 3rd Arty lose 2 strength but take Port San Carlos.
* Blues & Royals invade Blue Beach 1 and destroy 8th Infantry, taking 3 hits.
I've now landed all my troops and control 7 zones.

27 May: IO 4, DO 1. Weather 10 (Foggy). Britannia still rules the waves, it seems.
I deploy the TF to provide gunfire support to 5 units, and station CAP over SCW.
In the Coastal Zone, the CV group and my three SSNs stumble around blindly.
Scramble roll: 9+1 = 10, No raids! I may pull this off after all.
Supply interdiction takes out the last supply point; the Argies are looking under rocks for spare bullets.
Ground combat:
* 1 Marines counterattack SBS. 4 rounds later, the SBS are having a nice brew up.
* 1 Infantry counterattack Gurkhas (str 1). Fire support from HMS Brilliant makes the difference, as the Gurkhas survive 5 rounds and hold Ajax Bay. d8 vs d4 is a nice advantage.

28 May: Weather 9 (Cloudy). Wouldn't mind a nice storm, but I'll take the +1 scramble modifier.
Finally the SSNs contact the CV group, and the Veinticinco de Mayo becomes the de Sunko. I've now sunk the entire Argentine Navy.

I'm not so lucky with scramble rolls this time.
Raid 1: 4 Canberras go to SCW. Half my CAP splashes 3 with one salvo (target lock rolls 1,1,1,3). The fourth catches a Sea Cat on its bombing run.
Raid 2: Rio Grande. I cleverly made the Argentines expend all their Exocets on my ships, so they have none left; no raid.
Raid 3: 4x Skyhawks from Puerto Gallegos. Both Nimrod and SAS give me warning so I put more CAP up over SCW.
CAP gets one of them, AAA another. Both survivors attack HMS Broadsword off Red Beach. 2 Sea Wolf and 1 Sea Slug miss, and the bombing run sinks Broadsword. cry That's the game- DO is now 0 and I guess I have to pick up all those troops and go home.

I continued just to see what might have happened.

Raid 4: Scramble roll 7+1 = 8, no more raids.

Ground combat:
Air Brigade counterattack 8 Commando on Lookout Hill. The Argentines are out of supply but have air support, while the Commandos have gunfire support. 6 rounds later a lot of helicopter bits scatter the landscape while the Commandos take no hits. I still control 7 landing zones.

Just to add insult to injury, Trident 3 breaks his Harrier landing; only the 2nd Harrier loss of the game. I was very conservative with them, but I don't think I ever lost a ship without CAP that I would have protected anyway; most of my losses came in the low-probability zones.

I'm probably being a sore loser, but the sudden-death rule just seems weird after the landings are complete. I've sunk the whole enemy Navy and landed a strong force, and then on literally the last possible moment for me to lose, the Government says "Eh, never mind"? I call shenanigans. laugh

"I really do not see the signal.... Carry on with the advance, General Moore."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Canning
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel your pain. The sudden changes of fortune in this game are amazing. The different event cards, varying rolls for Argie navy action and airstrikes, and the weather make it incredibly re-playable. An incredible solitaire experience. AS someone else said, the stories ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.