4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Ticket To Ride vs 10 Days In Africa : Best 2 Player Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hauch
msg tools
Hey. I'm new to gaming but I love it.

I play games with my wife in the evening. We love "Ticket To Ride" and "Lost Cities" (per the recommendation on The Dice Tower).

I saw a list of top two player games. On the list is "10 Days in USA/Africa" by Moon. This list is from 2006.

Question 1: Is Ticket to Ride basically a better version of 10 Days in Africa? Or are the game mechanics substantially different to justify buying the game?

Question 2: What 2 Player games are awesome? Not too overly complex. But require strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride and the 10 Days series are very different. Yes, they both have maps and relatively short playtimes. But in 10 Days, you have a rack of 10 cards that are in a specific order and cannot be rearranged; you replace one card per turn until someone wins. In most Ticket to Ride games, you are free to move your cards around any way you want, and you play until someone is nearly out of trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
We also enjoy TTR and Lost Cities. To us (my wife and I), we found the 10 Days games to be a not-as-good version of Rack-O. I guess unless you think the theme is super exciting, I can't recommend them.

Others my wife and I like, and it sounds we have the same interest in terms of the heaviness of a game, include Hive and Fjords (which is hard to come by unfortunately.)

Others that I haven't played but generally get recommended in these types of threads include Jaipur and Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check out Rahdo's geeklists. This link has links to his geeklists.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/rahdo

He almost exclusively plays 2-players with his wife, enjoying the strategy games. He also does a lot of game run throughs to help you learn games. A lot of good info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.