15 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Anarch Tag Floatting (4 months of testings) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
(english is not my native language, thanks for your patience)

Hi, guys;

I have been playing an Anarch tag floatting deck since Opening Moves, and I think I'm ready to share what I learned. I started playing the original Kyle Walker's design, that can be found here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4419

The first time I played this deck, after beating a NBN fast advance 5-0, I had no doubts that it was the best Anarch archetype known at that time. I have been playing this deck in my league since then and I still believe this archetype is top tier.

The Main Strategy

For those who don't know, a "tag floatting" deck (a.k.a. "tag-me" deck) is a deck that doesn't care about removing tags. Some people do that in Criminal to maximize Account Siphon, but it stops there. Anarch has Data Leak Reversal and Joshua B., which makes ignoring tags more dangerous.

Credit Denial

The original deck had 3x Vamp, 3x Deja Vu and 1x Same Old Thing. That's far too much. You don't need to deny every single credit the Corp has in order to keep the pressure during the match, and you also don't want to have your hand full of cards you can't use if the Corp protects its HQ properly. I'm currently running 2x Account Siphon, 2x Vamp, 2x Deja Vu, and no Same Old Thing.

As most decks in the current meta base their economy on Operations and ICEs, I ended up changing Whizzard for Reina Roja, using 3x Parasites (trashing a Pop-up Window is stronger than it sounds) and 3x Imp.

Using Imp is a recent change, so I can't say if it is good enough yet. It can be used to trash operations (like Hedge Fund), expensive upgrades (like SanSan City Grid) and Freelancer, the nightmare of this deck. I think it will work.

Icebreakers

With Emergency Shutdown and Parasite, it is not that hard to handle ICEs, but face checking still is a problem for this deck - to be fair, the only thing I never want to facecheck is a Neural Katana. I'm still thinking about using 2x Mimic and/or maybe a Deus X. I also changed Crypsis for Knight, as it is cheaper.

Medium vs Keyhole

Based on the last tournament decks I have seen, tt seems that everybody think that Keyhole is better than Medium. But after trying Keyhole in a few matches, not only MU ended up being a problem, but as Data Leak Reverse puts a lot of pressure in the Archives (which makes R&D a little less protected), trashing agendas happened to be a backfire.

I'm not saying that Medium is better than Keyhole in general - but I'm very convinced that it is a better choice in this archetype.

Activist Support

Activist Support is a very interesting card. I never got the bad publicity so far, the Corp always trash it at the first opportunity they have. And that was really good for me anyway. A lot of people think that Activist Support is bad because it gets trashed - but that's what makes it so good.

Read it as "cost 1, operation: at the beginning of the Corp's next turn, the Corp loses 2 credits and 1 click". It is the only credit denial card that doesn't requires you to successfuly run HQ to work. I think it is worth the spot.

Deck List

So, this is the last version of the deck. I played 4 matches yesterday, and my worst score was a 10-3 victory.

ID: Reina Roja, Freedom Fighter

- Icebreakers (6 cards) -
3x Knight
1x Corroder
1x Crypsis
1x Mimic

- Programs (10 cards) -
3x Imp
3x Parasite
2x Datasucker
2x Medium

- Hardwares (5 cards) -
3x Plascrete Carapace
1x Clone Chip (2 influence)
1x Grimoire

- Resources (10 cards) -
3x Joshua B.
2x Armitage Codebusting
2x Data Leak Reverse
2x John Masanori
1x Activist Support

- Events (14 cards) -
3x Sure Gamble
2x Account Siphon (8 influence)
2x Deja Vu
2x Dirty Laundry
2x Emergency Shutdown (4 influence)
2x Vamp
1x Quality Time (1 influence)

Total: 45 cards

I'm open to suggestions, critics and questions. I hope you enjoyed the reading, and thanks for your attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
I might have to play that deck a lot, 'cause I don't see how you assemble a rig. Not even over time. Getting the right breaker seems to be more of an odd-chance rather than something you can ever plan for.

If this deck is a sort-of credit denial deck, don't you find that your games tend to drag on? I've tinkered with a Whizzard deck for some time and that deck is so good at keeping the corp poor that games can really drag on if I don't find the agendas I need from R&D. I like to play credit denial, but I find that that strategy has just let me to some very long games. I win quite a lot of games, but they take a while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
I play this style of deck as well, but with several differences. Yours looks quite good--I might suggest trying to fit in Xanadu and Rook, perhaps in place of the Imps. Those cards do so much work for me. +4 to rez can be back-breaking for the corp. I've won a number of games without ever having broken any ice subroutines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With so many 1x and 2x cards in this deck, what does a good starting hand look like? What does a bad starting hand look like?

How do you beat anyone who plays Corporate Troubleshooter? Do you hold Armitage just in case of Closed Accounts?

Please post videos of this deck in action if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that you stuck with Medium over Keyhole. When a new flashy card comes out, people tend to abandon the old version en masse, even though there are certain situations where the older one is better. This is one of those situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
Stunke wrote:
I might have to play that deck a lot, 'cause I don't see how you assemble a rig. Not even over time. Getting the right breaker seems to be more of an odd-chance rather than something you can ever plan for.

I rarely need more than 1 Knight as I Parasite as often as possible.

Stunke wrote:
If this deck is a sort-of credit denial deck, don't you find that your games tend to drag on? [...] I win quite a lot of games, but they take a while...

I "solved" the problem with Medium, but I understand your concern. Our league doesn't follow the time-out rule, so honestly I don't know how long my matches usually take.

I completely agree that it might be a problem in a tournament.

brendan2026 wrote:
I might suggest trying to fit in Xanadu and Rook, perhaps in place of the Imps.

I tried them for a while, when David Kempe opened a thread sharing his version of Reina Roja deck. In my experience, Xanadu is too expensive as it will get trashed (as I'd be tagged most of the time) and Rook'ing ICE's prevent me from using Knight as a facecheck protection.

I'm aware that there are successful players using both Xanadu and Rook with Reina, but I don't think it fits this deck as well as it does in "Deep Red oriented" decks.

Apreche wrote:
With so many 1x and 2x cards in this deck, what does a good starting hand look like? What does a bad starting hand look like?

As a general rule, I usually want at least one economy card (Sure Gamble/Dirty Laundry/Armitage Codebusting/Joshua B./John Masanori) and one denial card (Account Siphon/Vamp/Emergency Shutdown/Data Leak Reverse) in my opening hand.

I always mulligan if I don't have at least one economy card in hand.

Apreche wrote:
How do you beat anyone who plays Corporate Troubleshooter? Do you hold Armitage just in case of Closed Accounts?

I usually don't like these "how do you beat X?" questions, because it sounds like people are expecting something that's 100% reliable. There's no such thing as a match-up against a top tier deck where I'll win all matches.

What I'm trying to say is that, no matter what answer I give you, there will always be a weakness. This deck is not invincible, and neither am I, so don't expect me to give you a fail-proof answer.

That said, as a general rule, I tend not to stack too much money against NBN, and if I suspect my opponent has a Corporate Troubleshooting, I'll save a Vamp to make the Corp poor before facecheking an upgrade.

Armitage Codebusting is great even against players that don't run Closed Accounts. It is an economy cards that costs only 1 credit and give me 6 extra credits. I doubt this deck would be viable without it.

Apreche wrote:
Please post videos of this deck in action if possible.

I don't have anything recorded, and to be honest, I'm very stupid about computers and technology in general. The best I can offer you by now is to write a detailed report of my next league day and/or training session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a very interesting deck, and your explanation of your card choices is very precise.

Thanks for sharing this!

One question, have you tried Wyldside with this? It looks like a deck that could burn cards quickly and would appreciate the draw acceleration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
Berr wrote:
One question, have you tried Wyldside with this? It looks like a deck that could burn cards quickly and would appreciate the draw acceleration.

Actually, I have not. To be honest with you, I really don't like Wyldside. It is not the point of the thread to discuss it, so I don't want to start a debate about Wylside, but in a few words:

- John Masanori is cheaper and has the same click efficiency (1 click = 1 run + 1 draw rather than 1 click = 2 draws);
- Like Xanadu, I don't like the idea of spending 3 credits on a resource that might get trashed.

The first thing I changed from Kyle Walker's original deck was removing one Quality Time because John Masanori is enough in most matches. In a previous version of the deck, I used to run 3x Diesel and a single Account Siphon, and I changed back not because I missed the second Account Siphon, but because Diesel was "overkill" once John Masanori is in game.

I'll certainly try Oracle May once Honor and Profit comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse M
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When I was trying Reina I found that a first turn Xanadu in Reina is very strong, and might be worth testing. It can easily cost the corp a significantly amount of credits over the course of the game or even better give you free accesses while the corp is broke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice deck. I've run similar. Found Econ lacking at times.

Honestly, with the removal of Shutdown for something else, I wonder if this is better out of Noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
spags wrote:
Honestly, with the removal of Shutdown for something else, I wonder if this is better out of Noise.

Noise has the same issue that Keyhole has: DLR already forces the Corp to protect the Archives, so Noise's ability doesn't bring anything new.

I rather have a Runner that helps me to hurt the opponent's economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Demo Run in this list? I love demo run (my inner Timmy) and this would be the sort of deck which might make it work. Demo Run is probably still bad, but it would be great if this deck made it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
Have you tried Demo Run in this list? I love demo run (my inner Timmy) and this would be the sort of deck which might make it work. Demo Run is probably still bad, but it would be great if this deck made it work.

Demo Run is by no means a bad card; but it can sometimes often lose out to Imp.

Demo Run really needs to combo with Medium/Nerve Agent or RDI/HQI to be worth it - Imp stands alone.

In contrast, Demo Run is itself not vulnerable to purging (though if you're relying on Medium or Nerve, timing is important). Imp can only be used once per turn, which can be annoying if you only get one use before the purge hits.

It's usually a one-or-the-other deal due to deck space, and Imp has the added benefit of being able to blow up things installed in remotes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed noid
msg tools
So I started testing versions of this deck for the past few days, and I'm pretty shocked at how well it does for only having a handful of breakers. I've played it against local and remote opponents and after 10+ games I've only lost once.

I'm really stunned at how flexible the deck is. They go broke trashing resources, or rezzing ice, or dealing with siphon/vamp. Parasite does an amazing job at taking ice out due to the time that the credit denial buys you.

I tried subbing in 2 hemorrhage (+2 hemorrhage, -1 grimorie -1 imp) to see how it would do and it was surprisingly strong. It was paying off well against jinteki/nbn that didn't want to rez ice so they could spring traps or psychographics cards out. I had at least 2 players groan audibly when I installed data leak reversal or joshua b and I had a hemorrhage with counters out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
ednoid wrote:
I tried subbing in 2 hemorrhage (+2 hemorrhage, -1 grimorie -1 imp) to see how it would do and it was surprisingly strong. It was paying off well against jinteki/nbn that didn't want to rez ice so they could spring traps or psychographics cards out. I had at least 2 players groan audibly when I installed data leak reversal or joshua b and I had a hemorrhage with counters out.

I haven't tested Hemorrhage because I don't have Fear and Loathing yet, but it seems to fit the deck strategy. Thanks for you suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.