Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I'm finally playing Ocarina of Time. I'm only over a decade out date.

I've been enjoying this a lot, up until the first boss. (Obviously, this will include spoilers).

You get the hint that you can only hurt Ghoma when she's stunned.

I've got Deku Nuts, which specifically are used to stun foes.

So, hey, seems simple enough. Hit Ghoma with a Deku Nut. Which freezes her and turns her blue.

Then run up and hit the eye with my sword, which makes her flash and then, when she unfreezes, she runs up the wall and drops eggs on you. Everything is going good so far.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Die.

Try again. Pretty much the same effects. It seems like this fight is taking an awfully long time.

So, maybe there's another step to the puzzle. Using the slingshot, I try shooting her in the eye while she's climbing up on the ceiling. And shooting her in the eye with after I stun her.

Finally I get fed up and check online. Apparently, the problem is, that instead of using the Deku Nut, which specifically stuns monsters to stun the monster, I'm supposed to use the slingshot to stun the monster. Argh. Very easy after that.

And while she all the graphical indications were that I was stunning the monster and damaging her, I really wasn't.

Is this sort of thing common in the game? I'm all for puzzles, but a puzzle that steers you blatantly in the wrong direction and then gives you no good indication that you are doing something wrong is pretty frustrating.

Or can you beat her with Deku Nuts as well and I just didn't manage to for some reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I noticed that, to be honest.

Have you played many Zelda games? They tend to follow a very specific pattern in terms of boss fights--you acquire a new weapon or item in the temple, and then use that item to defeat the boss in the temple. Now, it's been probably four years since I have played the beginning of Ocarina of Time (for some reason I tend to play the middle-y bits more than the beginning or end), but I'm about 60% certain that you acquire the slingshot in the same area as Ghoma. For the Zelda-literate, that's always a strong clue.

There is, of course, the problem of language. The Deku Nuts "stun" (as in immobilize) an enemy. Ghoma can only be injured while she's "stunned" (in shock from getting injured). There are not a lot of ways to distinguish those two meanings in English. Sadly.

I will say that, usually, the game does a good job of indicating WHAT you should be attacking--the eye, the red blob in the center, the hands, etc. It may not always spell out HOW you need to attack the weak spot, though, so if you're having trouble, then experiment with different weapons and tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...but I'm about 60% certain that you acquire the slingshot in the same area as Ghoma. For the Zelda-literate...

You also acquire the Deku Nuts in the same area.

Quote:
...so if you're having trouble, then experiment with different weapons and tactics.

Again, the real big problem I had here was the the Deku Nuts + Attack gave all appearances of working. The Ghoma queen was stunned, she flashed when I hit her like she was taking damage. The only clue was that it seemed to be taking longer than I thought it should to win the fight. And on the first boss there really wasn't even much basis on which to judge that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that some items that work on normal enemies (deku nuts are an example) don't work on bosses. But I agree that they shouldn't APPEAR to work. Bosses usually require a specific approach (especially in the earlier games?). As I understand it, later game loosened this up somewhat, so you could use different approaches to beat bosses (for example I beat Fyrus in Twilight Princes using only arrows, but this is not how he was designed). Hope you forgive OOT and enjoy it more from here on in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deku Nuts, I suppose, were a red herring. The real weapon you obtain in that dungeon is the slingshot. It is the weapon used to solve puzzles and beat the boss in that dungeon. If you get a new weapon, and it is required to continue on through a dungeon, you can be sure that you'll need it to beat the boss.

The Deku nuts aren't required to beat anything in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
...but I'm about 60% certain that you acquire the slingshot in the same area as Ghoma. For the Zelda-literate...

You also acquire the Deku Nuts in the same area.

Quote:
...so if you're having trouble, then experiment with different weapons and tactics.

Again, the real big problem I had here was the the Deku Nuts + Attack gave all appearances of working. The Ghoma queen was stunned, she flashed when I hit her like she was taking damage. The only clue was that it seemed to be taking longer than I thought it should to win the fight. And on the first boss there really wasn't even much basis on which to judge that!

You can actually acquire deku nuts before the dungeon

As far as I can recall, this is the only instance in the game where this happens. Know that deku nuts are used to stun/immobilize enemies. You will often get a hint that you need to attack an enemy while it is stunned, but there is a strong difference in the game between immobilized and "stunned." You may have to stun future bosses as well, so be sure to use the appropriate, newly-acquired weapon in each dungeon.

How many sword slashes were you able to get in after each immobilization? I think Gohma takes something like 20 sword swipes to kill. If you were getting quite a few slashes in each time and the monster flashed back and forth between bright red and blue, then that's an error on the game's side. If you were only able to get one or two hits in, though, then it may be possible to beat Gohma using your strategy.

Typically you will find that the game indicates damage when you inflict damage. There are at least a few enemies that cannot be injured by certain weapons, and they will not flash the damage colors when you attack them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How many sword slashes were you able to get in after each immobilization? I think Gohma takes something like 20 sword swipes to kill. If you were getting quite a few slashes in each time and the monster flashed back and forth between bright red and blue, then that's an error on the game's side. If you were only able to get one or two hits in, though, then it may be possible to beat Gohma using your strategy.

I think 2-3 hits, so maybe you CAN beat Ghoma that way and it just takes longer.

Thanks for all the responses! That's kind of cool to see a game with this many fans - usually I don't get any answer at all on RPGG questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Zelda Wiki, Deku Nuts do work:

Quote:
Upon entering the boss room, Link must look up into the roof of the room, where Queen Gohma is situated. Queen Gohma promptly drops to the floor. To defeat her, Link must hit her eye with a shot from the Fairy Slingshot when it turns red. Link can also use Deku Nuts to attack the eye. After being hit, Queen Gohma is temporarily stunned and drops to the floor, allowing Link to deal damage to her eye with the Kokiri Sword or a Deku Stick.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Gohma
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others said:
a) You (can) get Deku nuts way earlier than the slingshot
b) you generally need the most recent addition to your inventory to defeat bosses

I'm glad you're otherwise enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.