Hide
13 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rookie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeckyll hyde
msg tools
1. If its your turn, you make one movement with your swimmer, is your turn over or you have two movements left but not with a swimmer?
2. Green outline tiles should be played on the same hex where they were flipped or on any sea hex?
3. There is red outlined rile with sea serpent. Can you move sea serpent from the middle of the island to any sea hex too?
4. If you make one movement with whale to a hex containing boat with passengers, can you make two movements more or your turn is over?
5. Can full boat make three movements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sushij

Cary
msg tools
mb
Quote:
1. If its your turn, you make one movement with your swimmer, is your turn over or you have two movements left but not with a swimmer?

A. You have 2 movements left, you just cant move that swimmer again. So, to help clarify, you always have 3 movements. Swimmers, people in a water hex, are only allowed 1 movement because swimming in the ocean is hard. If you had 3 people swimming, you could move each of them 1 water hex. This is different than being on land where a person can move up to 3 spaces.

Quote:
2. Green outline tiles should be played on the same hex where they were flipped or on any sea hex?

A. Green tiles are played on the Hex they were flipped. So typically a monster/whale/boat/whirlpool will spawn in that spot.

Quote:
3. There is red outlined tile with sea serpent. Can you move sea serpent from the middle of the island to any sea hex too?

A. I believe you can move any Sea Serpent to any legal water hex. Take note that that water hex needs to be unoccupied as in you cant move a sea Serpent on to a spot with a boat/swimmers. You can put it next to them and then hope you roll to move the Serpent.

Quote:
4. If you make one movement with whale to a hex containing boat with passengers, can you make two movements more or your turn is over?

A. I believe as soon as a whale/shark/Serpent enters a hex with boat/swimmers it does its correct action and its turn is done.

Quote:
5. Can full boat make three movements?

A. Yes. Remember it takes 1 movement to move a person from the boat onto land as well.

Hope this helps and hope I got everything correct. If not, others will let us know and I will be more the wiser.

~Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeckyll hyde
msg tools
Thank you for your very clear answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeckyll hyde
msg tools
One more question, as rules says you can move swimmer one sea space on your turn. When swimmer moves onto a safe isle from one of the two adjacent sea spaces does it counts as moving one sea space or normal moving?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sushij

Cary
msg tools
mb
Quote:
One more question, as rules says you can move swimmer one sea space on your turn. When swimmer moves onto a safe isle from one of the two adjacent sea spaces does it counts as moving one sea space or normal moving?

A. I am not sure on what you trying to ask with this. In this situation it would not matter if it counts as a sea space movement or normal movement. It would count as 1 movement regardless. For example, your swimmer is in one of the two adjacent sea spaces to the safe isle. He swims one space and is on the isle and is done, he is safe. He doesn't need to move again ever. You still have 2 movements left for your other people to move on land, swim, or boat as per movement rules. It does not matter if its a sea space movement or normal. Hope that helps.

~Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeckyll hyde
msg tools
But if he 2 hex away from the safe isle, can he make one movement as sea space movement and another as normal movement or he has to wait another turn to finally get on the safe isle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sushij

Cary
msg tools
mb
jeckyll1 wrote:
But if he 2 hex away from the safe isle, can he make one movement as sea space movement and another as normal movement or he has to wait another turn to finally get on the safe isle?

A. He has to wait another turn. A swimmer can only move 1 hex and that is it for them. He does not get more movement. Swimming in the ocean is very hard work. This is different than on land where you can move 1 person 3 hexes. Once they are swimmers they can move 1 hex max a turn and that is it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Slasher
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

It's all correct except for one little thing.
I contacted Asmodee, the game publisher, and they answered me a question about swimmers movement.

**OFFICIAL ANSWER FROM ASMODEE**

Quote:
Original:
Asmodee answer: "El movimiento está limitado a un nadador por turno y éste solamente puede ser de una casilla.".

Translated:
Asmodee answer: "The movement is limited to one swimmer per turn, and it can only be of 1 move.".

It means that, in your turn, you can only move one swimmer, and it can only move 1 hex máx.

So, you can't move several swimmers in the same turn. Max 1 swimmer per turn, and only 1 move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sharkslasher wrote:
Hi

I contacted Asmodee, the game publisher, and they answered me a question about swimmers movement.

Quote:
Original:
Asmodee answer: "El movimiento está limitado a un nadador por turno y éste solamente puede ser de una casilla.".

Translated:
Asmodee answer: "The movement is limited to one swimmer per turn, and it can only be of 1 move.".

It means that, in your turn, you can only move one swimmer, and it can only move 1 hex máx.

So, you can't move several swimmers in the same turn. Max 1 swimmer per turn, and only 1 move.

Huh? I had never see the rule interpret this way. There's no restriction on how many swimmers you can move in one turn in the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Temple
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I'm suspicious of the "official" answer on this one. Is it possible that something is getting lost in translation?

ETA: Playing this way could really slow the game down towards the end when there are a lot of swimmers in the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Slasher
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played moving multiple swimmers in the same turn (1 movement each one, it was closer to our common sense) and never thought it wasn't that way, until they told me the opposite thing. In my rulebook version (Spanish) it is a bit confusing at that part, and so I asked them.

The answer was weird at the begining but since that moment we have played following the rule that in a turn you can only move a swimmer and it is still pretty fun, even harder to save the explorers so the game is more unpredictable to win now.

Anyway, you can play as you wish, but the answer was clear. I ignore if the person who answered me was incorrect at that point, maybe they made a mistake, or maybe there are little differences between Spanish and English version.

If someone contacts a publisher please let us know to solve that question. By now, here it is the answer they gave me (in Spanish, because I'm from Spain), feel free to translate it by yourself.

Regards, and hope it helps someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Temple
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification. We will play it this way and see if it feels any different or more/less fun. Like you state above, we can always house-rule and play our original way with multiple swimmers allowed to move 1 space per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharkslasher wrote:
Hi

Quote:
Original:

Translated:

That Asmodee employee's response isn't right.

The rule only says:

You can move a Swimmer only one sea space on your turn.

It doesn't say anything at all about not being able to move other swimmers or land explorers, and it doesn't say anything about losing your other 2 movements anywhere in the rules just because you moved a swimmer.

Not to mention that Stephen Buonocore, who is one of the production directors of the game, specifically says that you can move 3 swimmers each 1 space on a turn here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/6218833#6218833

The relevant quote from that thread:

Quote:
So, specific to your questions, you would be permitted to move 3 different Swimmers one MP each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.