Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Sword of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Interception and Avoid Battle questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading the rulebook at the moment and have some questions:

1. I'm not sure if I got 10.5.1 right (Refusing Battle after successful intercept). Let's say I make naval movement into a port and enemy force in adjacent space successfully intercepts my move. I want to refuse battle but enemy commander does not agree, which means I have to roll on my commanders Tactics Rating. If I roll less then I am successful and may move back via naval movement. But I am not sure how to understand last sentence of 10.5.1? If I successfully avoid do I have to roll additionally on Naval Combat Table? And if I roll 3-4 do I have to go back to the port from which I am refusing battle? When refusing battle via naval movement does one always have to roll on the Naval Combat Table or is the roll required only in the two cases listed in 9.6.4? Is it always successful in 5 player game? In 5 player game can Carthage play a card to possibly prevent refusing battle via naval movement?

2. Avoiding Battle. 11.1 says that army avoiding battle is placed in an adjacent space. Later it says that "an army may avoid battle through a space containing an allied army" and 11.2 says that army avoiding battle may not enter more than 4 spaces. Does that mean that if army avoiding battle moves into adjacent space containing allied army it can "bounce off" that army into next adjacent space, moving that way up to 4 spaces total?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:

1. I'm not sure if I got 10.5.1 right (Refusing Battle after successful intercept). Let's say I make naval movement into a port and enemy force in adjacent space successfully intercepts my move. I want to refuse battle but enemy commander does not agree, which means I have to roll on my commanders Tactics Rating. If I roll less then I am successful and may move back via naval movement. But I am not sure how to understand last sentence of 10.5.1? If I successfully avoid do I have to roll additionally on Naval Combat Table? And if I roll 3-4 do I have to go back to the port from which I am refusing battle? When refusing battle via naval movement does one always have to roll on the Naval Combat Table or is the roll required only in the two cases listed in 9.6.4? Is it always successful in 5 player game? In 5 player game can Carthage play a card to possibly prevent refusing battle via naval movement?


If you roll less than or equal to your commander's tactics rating, you must roll on the Naval combat table to see if you successfully avoid battle. i.e. attempting to avoid battle navally is a difficult thing to do so you have to succeed on a 2nd roll. A result of Attrition or Return (or a play of Storms at Sea) means you attempted to avoid battle back to port you sailed from, failed so you must return to the port you are currently in and are forced to fight.

In a 5 player game it would be automatically successful unless Carthage played a card to force you to roll.


Quote:
2. Avoiding Battle. 11.1 says that army avoiding battle is placed in an adjacent space. Later it says that "an army may avoid battle through a space containing an allied army" and 11.2 says that army avoiding battle may not enter more than 4 spaces. Does that mean that if army avoiding battle moves into adjacent space containing allied army it can "bounce off" that army into next adjacent space, moving that way up to 4 spaces total?


Yes, but you must choose a space not containing an ally army if possible. If that is the only space to avoid battle to you move to the space containing the allied army but then continuing moving to adjacent space so you don't end the avoid battle movement stacked with an ally army. Once you enter a friendly space that does not contain an ally army you must stop.

Hope this helps, if not please let me know.

Wray

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Wray.

Quote:
If you roll less than or equal to your commander's tactics rating, you must roll on the Naval combat table to see if you successfully avoid battle. i.e. attempting to avoid battle navally is a difficult thing to do so you have to succeed on a 2nd roll. A result of Attrition or Return (or a play of Storms at Sea) means you attempted to avoid battle back to port you sailed from, failed so you must return to the port you are currently in and are forced to fight.

In a 5 player game it would be automatically successful unless Carthage played a card to force you to roll.
So in a 4 player game players always roll on the Naval Table if they succeed in the first roll, whereas in 5 player game only when Carthage plays a card? Also, if the result is Attrition does the retreating force undergo attrition before the battle?

Quote:
Yes, but you must choose a space not containing an ally army if possible. If that is the only space to avoid battle to you move to the space containing the allied army but then continuing moving to adjacent space so you don't end the avoid battle movement stacked with an ally army. Once you enter a friendly space that does not contain an ally army you must stop.
Right. I realized that this is the intention when I got to 12.4.1, which lists restrictions of retreat: "addition, a retreating force may not: (...) end the retreat in a space farther from the battle than the closest eligible space."


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:
So in a 4 player game players always roll on the Naval Table if they succeed in the first roll, whereas in 5 player game only when Carthage plays a card?


Correct.


Quote:
Also, if the result is Attrition does the retreating force undergo attrition before the battle?


Yes.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.