Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone have a fair way to call the game's end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll explain a bit here...

In the interest of time, the game sometimes drags out at the end, with one ship sort of chasing another and many, many turns just wind up being guessing game, dragging the game on, hurting the overall experience a tad (imho)

I was wondering if any of you have a similar feeling, and if so, what you do about it.

Should we set a time limit (maybe one hour?) and most points worth still alive wins?

Or most Hull points remaining wins?

Or most damage done overall during game wins?

Just would like some feedback and thoughts on these possibilities; thanks for any help in advance!

I realzie most will say 'just play the game as is'. We have, many times, and do enjoy it. I was looking for something when there is a bunch of us and we want to run a small tourney or only have an hour or whatever...

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
For casual games, 75 minutes. For tournaments, 45 - 60 is plenty. Call the game at time and most points wins.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone will say "Play it as-is," since tournaments are always run on a timer to prevent the exact thing you mention.

Quit after 60-90 minutes. Most points destroyed wins.

Edit: Dang! I thought I would snag this one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 75 minute rounds in a tournament. To me it fits perfectly.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for the answers everyone!

So, ~75 minutes sounds right for me, too.

Winner (unless you get tabled, hehe) is who destroyed most points?

I suppose that's better most points remaining on the table?

Not always do each of us field exactly 100 points. There are times we come in at 98/99...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Hey thanks for the answers everyone!

So, ~75 minutes sounds right for me, too.

Winner (unless you get tabled, hehe) is who destroyed most points?

I suppose that's better most points remaining on the table?

Not always do each of us field exactly 100 points. There are times we come in at 98/99...


Yes, most destroyed wins.

And let the turn you're in be played through, so it's fair for anyone. So if time is called and you're in the middle of a turn, then finish it and count up the score at the end of it...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe most tournaments go
(Points Destroyed) - (Points Remaining)
>33 = victory
0 = modified victory
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
I believe most tournaments go
(Points Destroyed) - (Points Remaining)
>33 = victory
0 = modified victory



Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I am totally out of the tournament scene, so all of this is news to me, hehe.

Thank you all!

Any further suggestions or your own personal variants would still be appreciated!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify tournament rules, expended missiles, destroyed stealth devices, etc, count toward a ship's total even once they are discarded. If you destroy the ship that started off with those upgrades, you get the points for those upgrades.

As for other ways to end the game, it's tough because any new win condition you add (including a time limit, really) changes the game. The time limit is just accepted as the least invasive way to handle long games.

I've done 4 player games where you get a ship's point total (upgrades included) added to your score when you deal the first damage to a ship, get them to to 50% health, and when you kill them. The rules are set up so that each ship gives away its point total 3 times no matter what (several clarifications have to be made, like for the Vader co pilot, etc). Each player also has a secret target who gives him twice as many points as normal, revealed at the end of the game. We played to a time limit.

That probalby doesn't help, but it's the only other modification to a dogfight that I've seen and not hated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
I believe most tournaments go
(Points Destroyed) - (Points lost)



Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I am totally out of the tournament scene, so all of this is news to me, hehe.

Thank you all!

Any further suggestions or your own personal variants would still be appreciated!


I've edited that 3 times with no luck, it keeps going back. If you destroy 33 points more than you loose, you get a full victory, but between 33 and 1 point is a modified victory, and less than 0 is a loss. ie. You destroy 58 points, they destroyed 27 points. The difference is 31 points, so you get a modified victory.

I've also played a game with 4 players where you get the point total for each kill added to your score sheet, highest score at time wins, but a limit would work too. The winner had over 200 points, killing 3 50 point ships gets you there pretty quick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Use &lt; instead of < if you want it to show up correctly (and not destroy the rest of the text).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snarly_Yow wrote:
For casual games, 75 minutes. For tournaments, 45 - 60 is plenty. Call the game at time and most points wins.


I'd put it the other way:

For tournaments (100 point match), 75 minutes. For casual, whatever you have time for - even 45 or 60 minutes is OK, but I'd recommend 60-90 point matches when you're short on time.

I've played in my fair share of tournaments, some of which are held on weeknights with 60 minute rounds, and I've found that the amount of time per round forces me to choose my squad accordingly. I'm known for playing TIE swarms, but there just isn't time for a swarm to win certain match-ups (such as against another swarm or other high-agility ships; say, A-wings) in 60 minutes, especially against slow opponents. Even with an offense-oriented squad (say, 2 B-wings with HLC's and two X-wings), I've had 60 point matches where we only got 5 or 6 turns, of which we might be within range for 3 or 4 rounds. Good luck earning a complete win against Han + Chewbacca and a couple of A-wings with Stealth Devices and Push the Limits that Focus + Evade every turn in under an hour.

[/rant]

Anyway, here's the official rules for tournament rounds and scoring:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...

monkeykins wrote:
I believe most tournaments go
(Points Destroyed) - (Points Remaining)
>33 = victory
0 = modified victory


*edit as per following post*

Destroy all of your opponent's ships and have at least one ship remaining: Full win (5 points)

All ships destroyed (due to simultaneous fire rule or Darth Vader crew, Proton Bomb, etc): Draw (1 point each)

If both players have at least 1 ship remaining at the end of the time limit, it's:

(points destroyed by you) - (points destroyed by your opponent) = X

X >= 33 : Full win (5 points)
33 > X > 0 : Modified win (3 points)
X = 0 : Draw (1 point each)
X < 0 : Loss (0 points, regardless of whether your opponent earned a full or modified win)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Snarly_Yow wrote:
For casual games, 75 minutes. For tournaments, 45 - 60 is plenty. Call the game at time and most points wins.


I'd put it the other way:

For tournaments (100 point match), 75 minutes. For casual, whatever you have time for - even 45 or 60 minutes is OK, but I'd recommend 60-90 point matches when you're short on time.

I've played in my fair share of tournaments, some of which are held on weeknights with 60 minute rounds, and I've found that the amount of time per round forces me to choose my squad accordingly. I'm known for playing TIE swarms, but there just isn't time for a swarm to win certain match-ups (such as against another swarm or other high-agility ships; say, A-wings) in 60 minutes, especially against slow opponents. Even with an offense-oriented squad (say, 2 B-wings with HLC's and two X-wings), I've had 60 point matches where we only got 5 or 6 turns, of which we might be within range for 3 or 4 rounds. Good luck earning a complete win against Han + Chewbacca and a couple of A-wings with Stealth Devices and Push the Limits that Focus + Evade every turn in under an hour.

[/rant]

Anyway, here's the official rules for tournament rounds and scoring:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...

monkeykins wrote:
I believe most tournaments go
(Points Destroyed) - (Points Remaining)
>33 = victory
0 = modified victory


It's (points destroyed by you) - (points destroyed by your opponent) = X.
X >= 33 : Full win (5 points)
33 > X > 0 : Modified win (3 points)
X = 0 : Draw (1 point each)
X < 0 : Loss (0 points, regardless of whether your opponent earned a full or modified win)


Just to be certain for clarity this scoring only applies when the game is called on time. So if your opponents is wiped off the board and you have only a 12pt Academy Pilot left, you get a Full Win.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
I have seen "round counters" for Xwing used as well. They have something like 20 rounds on it and each round they move the dial. When the rounds are done, you count your points and the guy with the most on the board wins.

it doesnt mean a game wont take 2 hours if your thinking about your moves like guys who play chess do, but its another way of limiting a game from chasing eachother around the map
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We do 60 minute matches, most points destroyed wins.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
get a bell timer have a neutral party set it from 60 to 80 minutes hide it in a box.. when it dings game over..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournaments require a minimum of 60 mins. In our casual tournaments we have found 75 mins to be the sweet spot. We have felt that 60 mins is just a little to short.

As others have mentioned, if you go for less time then do smaller point builds. IMO, 100 points and 75 mins is where this game shines.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.