Subject: Game Developerz - This game is about... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Tonetti
msg tools
designer
mb
Hi guys,
I'm kind of new here so I hope I'm posting in the right section. If not, please mods please feel free to move this post to the proper section and apologize for my mistake.

Recently I've been asked a lot about this game and I've seen some different opinions about it. I'm so writing this post to share some more info with you about this game and to let you go through the creative process behind it. I hope you'll enjoy the reading.

So what's Game Developerz?
Game Developerz is a card game. The game is set in the computer game development world and is a funny kidding of all the dynamics and people in a gaming studio as well as all the actors of the games industry in general.

Is Game Developerz a "take that" kind of game? I think that's not part of the industry..
I’d like to tell you more about my professional career before answering the question about the “take that” aspect of the game. It will not take a lot, don't worry... I’ve worked for several years in the videogames industry and I started my career as a game designer for the famous mod DotA All-Stars about 10 years ago. Since then I’ve had the chance to meet lots of great professionals and cool guys, but of course I’ve also been in touch with some less funny guys (as you might know they are everywhere, and yes.. the games industry has some of them as well!). My job has eventually become a good 80% of my life because if I’m not with my girlfriend, I’m either playing, designing or developing a game.. I also think about games when I eat or when I have a shower. I know it could be sad for someone who doesn’t likes games, but I’m sure you will understand me 100%! Despite everything I’m very fond of my job, I’m proud of what the games industry is and I love it. But I’m also aware that it is made of companies that are making games just to gain a profit and that are not lead by their passion for it, and I actually hate that side of the industry. For this kind of hate/love feeling I have, I wanted to create Game Developerz to celebrate the Games Industry, but I also wanted to have fun of its “dark side”. That’s why I thought of a satirical and funny kidding of all the dynamics and people in a gaming studio as well as all the actors of the games industry in general.
The game features lots of real life situations that might happen while developing a game and jokes on some strange news and events that you might hear during the year. Just like that thing about King.com and Candy Crush Saga, where they were trademarking common words (It was ridiculous from my point of view and we added it to the game!). Wasn’t that some kind of a “take-that” thing toward the guys at Stoic Studio who made The Banner Saga? Who knows...
However Game Developerz IS NOT a game “development simulator”, it’s just a funny and satirical kidding of the industry, and that’s why the “take that” thing has been introduced to the game; we wanted to have fun!
As you might have seen we sent the game to lots of famous people and legends from the games industry. They were all professionals and some of them made the history of it. They all loved it, just because they knew what it is like being in a gaming studio, and they also loved the funny kidding behind it.

I've been told the game is for 3 to 6 players, but you will release a two players mode. Are you sure it will work?
The game was originally designed for 2 to 6 players and it worked (In the Exclusive Prototype rules it’s written “Two to six can play”). However some dynamics of the game were missing(guess what? Right the “take that” dynamic was missing) and some of our playtesters worldwide told us it was fun to play just in two players, others didn’t. We then believed it was better to suggest 3 to 6 players instead, and we started working on a different rules set for a 2-players game. We didn’t believe our audience would have asked us to make it a 2-players game so we didn’t work too much on it because we then started working on this kickstarter campaign 24/7. If we will reach the 2-players stretch goal we truly believe we’ll be able to polish our current 2-players rules set and it will be as good as the current rules for 3 to 6 players. We are putting our reputation on this matter, so you can be sure it will be perfectly polished and fun!

I'm still not a fan of the "Take that" thing. Is this game for me?
2-players rules will be redesigned so that players will be able to use all the cards of the game; the best would be if game will also allow them to remove some suggested cards if they want to go for a more friendly kind of gameplay.
We've been also thinking of an alternative co-op mode.. That might be a really nice alternative mode and I'm already figuring out some ways to make it happen properly. We'll see what our backers will want us to do!
There are so many cards just in the base set of the game that everything is really possible to be honest.

That's it for the moment and I hope you enjoyed the reading.
Please feel free to use this post to ask anything you want about the game and please let me know what you think about it.

I'd be more than happy to go through the design process as well as the production process and so forth. Just ask and I'll reply asap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Press Releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been an employee at LucasArts during the Disney acquisition, one of those cards in the game's gallery stings a bit :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tonetti
msg tools
designer
mb
Hi William!
I do understand how you feel like. I've been a fan of Lucas Arts since I was a child and what Disney did really shocked me!
We wanted to create that card to speak out against what happened and to let you guys know that we were suffering with you. You lost your job and that was both sad and unacceptable, but also the games industry lost a really important piece of history after that acquisition so we do really understand and we are with you!
We also created a strip about that sad days. You can find it here: http://www.gamedeveloperz.com/#!comics/c14en
It's the #7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.