Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zel zelus
Australia
sydney
nsw
flag msg tools
mb
Can someone share their views/experience on playing Coalition/Govt vs Taliban/Warlords as a 2 player (ie no BOTs). Does it make a good game??
(I have an aversion to flow charts...too much like work)

I have played a variant of AA where Govt/Auc vs FARC vs Cartels where Govt/Auc had to win 1st&2nd and it played well and no govt/auc didnt win. (infact this my goto 3 player COIN)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just over half way through my first 2 player game with that lineup and I think it's excellent. Running three bots was way too much work, and I had little mental energy left to do my own strategizing when I played solo as the coalition.

Trying to figure out how to get synergy between your factions is a whole layer of play unto itself. For example I've been building warlord bases where the Taliban can get control so that the Taliban get a resource when the warlords traffic.

If you are especially competitive you might want to clarify what the victory conditions will be with the two player lineup. Will you score each faction separately and add them up or just rank them in order. Since the warlords have two different numerical victory conditions, resources and uncontrolled pop, I'm not sure how to compare scores at the end.

I'm just enjoying the game so haven't bothered to raise scoring with my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Sarnacki
Poland
Wyszków
Mazowsze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully recommend this variant, more tactic - less diplomacy. I've win once as insurgents, and now I run coalition/goverment forces (more challenging side). For insurgent side is importent to balance both factions activity, couse it seems quite atractive to use Warlords time in sequence to achive Talibans goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

gromitspaw wrote:
I'm just over half way through my first 2 player game with that lineup and I think it's excellent. Running three bots was way too much work, and I had little mental energy left to do my own strategizing when I played solo as the coalition.

Trying to figure out how to get synergy between your factions is a whole layer of play unto itself. For example I've been building warlord bases where the Taliban can get control so that the Taliban get a resource when the warlords traffic.

Not without historical validity!

gromitspaw wrote:
If you are especially competitive you might want to clarify what the victory conditions will be with the two player lineup. Will you score each faction separately and add them up or just rank them in order. Since the warlords have two different numerical victory conditions, resources and uncontrolled pop, I'm not sure how to compare scores at the end.

I'm just enjoying the game so haven't bothered to raise scoring with my opponent.

For what it's worth, this is an official play option, found in a tone box on page 4 of the Rules of Play, and specifies how to score victory:

Quote:
No Non-Player Option: If learning the game with 2 or 3 players,
ignore the Non-Player rules (8.0). Instead, players control
leftover Factions:

• With 3 players, Coalition controls Warlords.

• With 2 players, Coalition controls Government or, if preferred,
Warlords; Taliban controls the remaining Faction.

Play only stops on a victory check (6.1) if all of a player’s Factions
are meeting their conditions.

After a final Propaganda, use the lowest victory margin of each
player’s Factions (7.3). Players may not voluntarily transfer
(1.5.1) between their own Factions.

Enjoy and best regards! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.