Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
Disclaimer: I've only been playing about 2 months.

I recently created an NBN (The World is Yours) deck. I'm really interested in going the tag-heavy route w/the deck. However, i've had no luck w/that strategy. The deck wins against my friend a fair amount, but i feel like i'm unable to implement the entire point of the deck.

From watching tournament match footage, it seems like NBN is very effective, but only if the runner continually runs face-first into all of the servers. My friend tends to take a very cautious approach (no runs for the first 5+ turns unless something is totally unprotected). When he finally runs, he's got 15+ credits and his suite of breakers. In addition, he always runs with spare clicks, so even if i am successful in tagging, he gets rid of it/them before his turn is over.

Am i just out of luck unless i play someone more aggressive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's not running, put down one piece of ice and start rushing out agends, especially Astroscript.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Remember, all decks need a backup plan. If your bane is players who play cautiously, build to exploit that. NBN has a wealth of Fast Advance options; there's no reason for you to sit around and wait for the Runner to be ready. While he sits on his ass and turtles up, build up your ICE, get a lot of money, and fast advance some agendas.

Nothing makes the runner feel more rushed than showing how easy you can score 2 points, and another 2 points, and another 2 points. Show them it's not safe for them to play passively, then punish them for getting aggressive.

You can still keep your Tag strat, but make sure you have SanSan and Astroscript ready in case the runner is cooperating. Also, Psychographics as long as you're going with the heavy tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have 11 agendas in the deck, so maybe swapping out some tag-specific cards for a couple more wouldn't hurt. Good call on having a back-up plan. I have cards like Sea Source, Freelancer and Scorched Earth, so my whole goal was to force the runner to encounter some of my "tag" ice and then flatline them, but i guess i should include a few more cheap agendas and get them in a Sansan server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw down a Chimera or Paper Wall (or Ice Wall or Enigma) in front of an Astroscript or Project Beale or Gila Hands on the first turn and score the agenda on the second turn. Rinse and repeat until he starts being more aggressive. Then switch back to tag-n-bag approach once he changes his ways

... then you can instead throw down a Hunter in front of a Ghost Branch and Bernice Mai laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thommy8 wrote:
Throw down a Chimera or Paper Wall (or Ice Wall or Enigma) in front of an Astroscript or Project Beale or Gila Hands on the first turn and score the agenda on the second turn. Rinse and repeat until he starts being more aggressive. Then switch back to tag-n-bag approach once he changes his ways

... then you can instead throw down a Hunter in front of a Ghost Branch and Bernice Mai laugh

All awesome suggestions. I'm actually planning on picking up Cyber Exodus today/tomorrow so i can throw in a Chimera and Pop-up Window. I also just added another Sansan and Breaking News so that i can get those agendas scored quicker. I always worry about having too many agendas in my deck in case my opponent gets rolling early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NBN is the best at rushing just with their agendas.

If you can count on your opponent not running until he's got all his breakers, then get an Astroscript down behind an ICE as soon as possible. Score that one, then draw for more Astroscripts (just in case you didn't know, once you have one Astroscript scored you can score another one from your hand in one turn by installing, advancing twice, then using your Astrocript token).

If he still doesn't run after the first one, install another Astroscript. If you get two Astros with tokens, then you can score a 4-advance agenda from your hand in one turn.

Finally, since you are hoping for tag destruction, you can use your Breaking News agendas to get him tagged (temporarily). The key here is have at least one click left after you score it to do your damage.
Turn one: place Breaking News behind ICE (advance or not)
Turn two: advance and score. Now your opponent is tagged for the rest of your turn, so you have at least one click to do some damage (or more if you advanced at all last turn).

If you have an Astroscript scored already, then you don't even need to wait an extra turn. Install Breaking News, advance once, advance again with astroscript token (no click necessary), score, then one click for tag damaging!

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
Love it. Thanks, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
Disclaimer: I've only been playing about 2 months.

I recently created an NBN (The World is Yours) deck. I'm really interested in going the tag-heavy route w/the deck. However, i've had no luck w/that strategy. The deck wins against my friend a fair amount, but i feel like i'm unable to implement the entire point of the deck.

From watching tournament match footage, it seems like NBN is very effective, but only if the runner continually runs face-first into all of the servers. My friend tends to take a very cautious approach (no runs for the first 5+ turns unless something is totally unprotected). When he finally runs, he's got 15+ credits and his suite of breakers. In addition, he always runs with spare clicks, so even if i am successful in tagging, he gets rid of it/them before his turn is over.

Am i just out of luck unless i play someone more aggressive?

If you'll pardon the self-promotion, I've got 300-400 hours invested in writing about my Never Advance NBN archetype in this thread:

[Deck] Unveiling NBN "Never Advance"

A lot of the strategy considerations are applicable to many different NBN decks, so there's likely to be quite a bit to interest you there if you don't mind going in for a long read.

Based on what you've said, I'd say there are two very specific things you can do, particularly if it's very common for you to play against said friend:

1) Don't be afraid to try to score early. A lot of Corp players try to only put agendas in a remote server if they think they're guaranteed to be able to score them successfully. First, the notion of "guaranteed" is often fallible - I think probably 30-40% of the Runner Operation cards are designed specifically to temporarily change the board state in some drastic way to subvert these "guarantees".

If you start playing agendas out when you have a strong, but not necessarily "guaranteed" ability to score it next turn, two things can happen. First, you may get the points! Second, if the Runner gets the points, you'll be forcing him to take his turns the way you want instead of the way he wants. It's very likely that your friend will simply let you have the points the first few games when you start doing this to him. If he doesn't change, you'll win many of those games due to the free points he didn't contest early. Those may be unsatisfying wins if you're looking to bury him in tags during the game, but there's not much else you can do to train your friend to be more aggressive. Very likely after losing 6-7 games this way, he'll learn to run more aggressively at you in the beginning, which is more likely to get you the games you're looking for.

2) If your problem is that you can't tag your friend because he always runs with spare clicks, then start running click-constraining cards against him. You should find a lot of info about this in my thread above, because it's exactly what makes my flatline alternate win condition work.

Say your friend is running R&D, and he does so on his third click because he knows he has to run through a Data Raven, what happens if he runs into a Snare! there? Or Bernice Mai? How does this change if you put Eli on that server as well? Or play with False Lead?

The Runner can play around all of these things by running earlier and earlier in the turn, but you counter that by looking for opportunities to set them up with a difficult decision tree. If the Runner runs your server on click 1, are they going to be missing some critical piece of setup by doing so, say playing Sure Gamble or adding a Crypsis counter? Do they have to run the remote server to keep you from using Melange to rez the Tollbooth on R&D again that they played Emergency Shutdown on, or do they have to run R&D to make sure you don't draw into another Astroscript in your chain? The possibilities are endless here; try to look for ways to use your knowledge of the Runner's preferred tempo against him. That's actually the best part about tags, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good advice here so far. I am wondering why you chose TWIY instead of Making News if you're planning on doing a lot of tagging.

The decklist might also help us give more targeted advice.

But yeah, advance aggressively if he's not running. And once he has his breakers, make it expensive for him to make runs and give him bad choices.

Also, I know you said he often runs and then removes tags. That's great news for you. You're costing him a click and 2 bucks every time you tag him, which is an awesome trade. I actually kind of love it when opponents spend time clearing tags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think this is typical for new Corp players. I was the same way when I started playing. I would put ice/traps down and become frustrated when the runner would not run into my clever trap or damage/tagging ice, thereby frustrating my Awesome Plan (tm). Then I would get into a state where I needed them to run on a trap/bait as they had too many breakers/credits and could get in anywhere and were sure to run if I put something in a remote.

As suggested by others, putting something down early can often result in an easy score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.